Lucky to be alive - Charging Grizzly
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Lucky to be alive - Charging Grizzly

  1. #1
    Gunco Maniac Black Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default Lucky to be alive - Charging Grizzly

    Lucky to be alive: Alaska man w/ Ruger .454 drops charging grizzly
    Story from Soldotna, AK via local rag, and the man's own version of events via the Ruger forum. Good pics of the dead bear, purportedly from the man:


    Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:14 am Post subject: "Very Lucky To Be Alive"

    Below is a copy of an e-mail a friend sent me yesterday morning, he said this happened Sunday in Soldotna, Alaska. One hell of a testimonal for a Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull.

    "Subject: Fw: very, very lucky to be alive!

    Have I got a story for you guys!

    King season is over, and since i had a day off before silvers start, i thought i would go for a walk! this occurred at 11:16 am this morning (Sunday), just 2/10 of a mile from my house, ON OUR ROAD while walking my dogs (trying to get in shape for hunting season, ironically!) for the record, this is in a residential area-not back in the woods, no bowhunting, no stealth occurring...

    I heard a twig snap, and looked back...full on charge-a huge brownie, ears back, head low and motorin' full speed! Came with zero warning; no woof, no popping of the teeth, no standing up, nothing like what you think or see on TV! It charged from less than 20 yards and was on me in about one-second! Totally surreal-I just started shooting in the general direction, and praise God that my second shot (or was it my third?) Rolled him at 5 feet and he skidded to a stop 10 feet BEYOND where I was shooting from-I actually sidestepped him and fell over backwards on the last shot, and his momentum carried him to a stop past where I fired my first shot!

    It was a prehistoric old boar-no teeth, no fat-weighed between 900-1000 lbs and took five men to DRAG it onto a tilt-bed trailer! Big bear-its paw measured out at about a 9 1/2 footer!

    never-ever-thought "it" would happen to me! its always some other smuck, right? well, no bull- i am still high on adrenaline, with my gut in a knot. feels like i did 10000 crunches without stopping! almost puked for an hour after, had the burps and couldn't even stand up as the troopers conducted their investigation! totally wiped me out-cant even put that feeling into words, by far the most emotion i have ever felt at once!

    No doubt that God was with me, as I brought my Ruger .454 Casull (and some "hot" 350 grain solids) just for the heck of it, and managed to draw and snap shoot (pointed, never even aimed!) from the hip! Total luck shot!

    All I can say is Praise God for my safety and for choosing to leave the wife and kids at home on this walk! Got a charter tomorrow, so gonna TRY to get some sleep now!

    talk to ya soon, -greg

    Greg & Sherri Brush
    EZ Limit Guide Service
    PO Box 4278
    Soldotna, AK 99669

    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

  2. #2
    THE 9mm ADDICT MUSIBIKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)


    Great thing he was not there with his RUGER, .22Cal, MKII pistol!

    Getting the Hell beat out of you by a HUGH BROWN GRIZZLY is not much fun!
    M U S I B I K E

  3. #3
    Gunco Veteran nkluksda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Houston, TX
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)


    "But ... he used a GUN! An evil, nasty GUN! Against a helpless cuddly bear, too! How could someone even think of carrying an evil wildlife-killing GUN???"

    Pinko-liberal gun-grabbing imitation off -
    Damn! That's one large bear.
    Q - What is Bambi?

    A - Viable Target

  4. Remove Advertisements

  5. #4
    Gunco FNG Electroglide56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Chicagoland area
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)


    Damm, Black Blade - did you piss yourself during or after the shooting, - sorry man - I just can't imagine being anything other than scared shitless - you were absolutly being watched over by the Almighty, glad your still with us...
    Don't run away - you'll only die tired...

  6. #5
    Gunco Maniac Black Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default Woman attacked, killed by bear

    Woman attacked, killed by bear
    August 11, 2009

    OURAY, Colo. -- An autopsy showed a 74-year-old Ouray County woman whose body was found being eaten by a bear was attacked and killed by that same bear after she attempted to help a smaller bear that had been hurt in a fight. The son-in-law of Donna Munson told 7NEWS that Munson was trying to help a smaller bear that had gotten into a fight with an older bear on Aug 7. The smaller bear suffered broken teeth in the brawl, Munson told her family. Munson told her brother by telephone that she was putting out hard-boiled eggs and milk for the younger bear to eat, said the victim's son-in-law. Munson told her brother Thursday night that the older bear was back and said, "I'm going to chase it off with a broom."

    According to the county coroner, Munson was grabbed by the bear and it slashed her head and neck with such penetrating force that Munson would have bled out in 90 seconds. Sheriff's investigators said that the bear "clubbed" her through the wire fence that she had built around her porch, rendering her unconscious. It then grabbed her, pulled her underneath the fence to the back yard and then slashed her to death, the sheriff's office said. Later that day, a witness found a large bear feeding on Munson's body as it lay outside her home. When deputies arrived to investigate the report of a mauling on Friday, they were approached by a 250-pound bear, which was actively sniffing the body. A deputy with the Ouray Sheriff's Office fired six rounds and killed the bear. A necropsy on that bear showed that it neither attacked nor fed on Munson. On Saturday about 3 a.m., a second bear was acting aggressively towards investigators who were still at the house. A DOW investigator shot and killed that bear -- a 400-pound male . A necropsy on that second bear revealed human tissue as well as remnants of a shirt that Munson was wearing, according to the Ouray Sheriff's Office.

    Officials said the DOW had known for years that Munson routinely fed bears and would not stop, even after repeated requests from the DOW. The remote nature of her home made observing possible wildlife violations impossible, the DOW said. Last year, the DOW sent a written notice to Munson and renters at her home warning of the dangers of feeding bears. "It got to the point where she never opened her door for us, allowed us on her property or answered her phone," said a DOW spokesman. "Our officers went above and beyond, in terms of gaining her cooperation." Munson had constructed a metal fence that covered her porch so that she could feed bears through the fence, wildlife officials said. There have been only two fatal bear attacks in Colorado in the past 100 years. The first was in Grand County in 1971, when a man was killed. The second incident was Aug. 10, 1993, in Fremont County when a 24-year-old man was killed. The coroner said her official cause of death was multiple traumas due to a bear attack. The manner of death was ruled to be accidental.

    Autopsy: Woman Attacked, Killed By Bear - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

  7. #6
    Gunco Maniac Black Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)


    Grizzly mauls sheepherder; kills dogs, sheep

    Posted: Tuesday, Sep 15th, 2009
    BY: Joy Ufford with Derek Farr

    After what could be the first grizzly bear attack on a human in the Upper Green, a 46-year-old sheepherder was life-flighted to Idaho Falls early Monday morning after being seriously mauled.

    The grizzly began its rampage in the early hours in a sheep herd grazing near Forest Road 617, at the eastern edge of the Gros Ventre Wilderness near Tosi Creek.

    The herd is tended by Marcello Tejeda, of Rock Springs, and Jorge Mesa, both of whom were awakened by what they thought was a black bear in the sheep, according to their employer, rancher Mary Thoman of Fontenelle.

    Monday, Thoman was concerned for Tejeda and her sheep, which have been harassed by predators all summer, she said.

    "We have had a nightmare," she said of the W&M Thoman Ranches' forest allotments on the Upper Green. "Nothing but grizzlies and wolves all summer long."

    At 3:30, the Sublette County Sheriff's Office received a call from Mesa that a bear had attacked a man and that an ambulance or doctor was needed to help him, according to preliminary reports.

    Thoman said they have always had problems with black bears getting into the sheep but the grizzly situation has been worsening since 1998 when she said grizzlies were moved into that area from elsewhere.

    "The dogs were raising heck and they thought it was a black bear," Thoman said her sheepherder told her.

    This was a grizzly sow with one cub, though, she was told. Thoman said she recently saw a collared grizzly sow with three cubs that had "just showed up" but didn't know if they were the same animal.

    The guard dogs stay with the sheep and protect them as best they can, she explained.

    "Once they found out a bear was in the sheep the sheepherder (Tejeda) sent his (guard) dog in and the bear killed that one," Bardin related .

    Tejeda then sent in another guard dog and apparently was attacked by the bear when he tried to save the second dog, which was killed, he said.

    The sheepherder received a seven-inch gash on top of his head, two punctures to the left side of his chest, three claw wounds to the right side of his abdomen and a puncture wound to his right wrist, early reports stated.

    "This is the first human attack there that I can remember," Bardin said.

    Mesa used pepper spray - twice - to drive the bear away from Tejeda and then called Thoman for help.

    Thoman said giving her sheepherders guns to shoot marauding predators isn't a solution - "or we just have more trouble."

    Mesa then notified the sheriff's office, and a team was sent in including an Emergency Medical Services unit, Kendall Valley Fire Department's first-responders, three deputies and a Forest Service officer while Air Idaho, a search-and-rescue team and a doctor were put on standby.

    Because of the poor travel conditions, a deputy drove Tejeda and Mesa (who had pepper spray in his eyes) out to a waiting ambulance and they were transported to the Pinedale Clinic.

    Mesa's eyes were cleaned and Tejeda was airlifted to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center (EIRMC) in Idaho Falls.

    Tejeda was listed in "serious" condition Monday afternoon, according to EIRMC spokesperson Nancy Browne.

    Wyoming Game & Fish team investigated the scene of the attack Monday.

    "We've heard this person has been injured and that's our primary concern," said G&F spokesman Mark Gocke. "We hope he's all right."

    Gocke had no further information Monday but said G&F is participating in the investigation and more details will be forthcoming.

    Bad Summer

    Predators have heavily targeted sheep and cattle on Upper Green permitted grazing allotments this year, according to Thoman.

    Most of the publicly confirmed predations are sheep killed by wolves but there are plenty of others in the mountains.

    Thoman said she can't put a number to their losses yet, not until the herds are gathered and brought back home.

    "What they verify doesn't match up, though," she said of investigating agencies.

    "The trouble is by the time you notify them, if they don't get there within three or four days they can't confirm," she said, adding other animals will feed on the carcasses.

    "We just have to put up with them," she said. "They need to put them away. They're just getting too thick."

    Thoman said most people don't realize how heavy livestock losses are in the Upper Green and public land managers seem to not care - "I think they're just trying to get rid of us (livestock ranchers)."

    Thoman doesn't plan on giving in to bears, wolves or public agencies lightly, she said. Thoman sheep have grazed on the same allotments since 1978 and her family began ranching before 1900.

    "It isn't like we just sprang up," she said.


    On Aug. 6, Wildlife Services confirmed a grizzly had killed two head of cattle in the Upper Green.

    In a slew of late July and August attacks in western Wyoming, wolves killed dozens of sheep, a handful of cattle and a half-dozen guard dogs, according to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) reports.

    Recent reports reveal lethal control efforts have removed 10 wolves to date from the Green River Pack and five from the Dog Creek Pack.

    Thoman worries that wolves and bears have run the sheep around so much that right now without anyone up there to keep an eye on them, her herds could be scattered throughout the forest.

    "I suppose we'll be hunting sheep up there until Christmas," she said.

    No one from the Forest Service, which manages the grazing allotments, responded before press time. 58

    Black Blade: Close enough to my backyard. We have our problem nuisance bears and one finally attacked not far from here. It was only a matter of time.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

  8. #7
    Gunco Maniac Black Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default Nightmares comes true as grizzly bear mauls sleeping hunters in Kootenays Two men cam

    Nightmares comes true as grizzly bear mauls sleeping hunters in Kootenays

    Two men camping in the East Kootenays were attacked by a grizzly bear.

    It's every hunter's worst nightmare.

    You've nestled into your tent for the night when you're awakened by the sound of a bear charging. Within seconds it's on you, teeth sinking into flesh as you fight for your life.

    "I went into survival mode as she batted me around, biting me," Ken Scown, 36, said Saturday. "I was kind of waiting for the bite to the head and neck and it would all be over."

    Scown and his pal Jeff Herbert were three days into an 11-day hunting trip near Canal Flats in the East Kootenays region of B.C. when a grizzly attacked them Wednesday night.

    The bear - believed to be a sow - charged the tent as the experienced hunters from Nelson scrambled to sit up.

    Within seconds it was on top of Scown as Herbert struggled to get a round into his rifle.

    The grizzly was "thrashing wildly" as Herbert tried to shove it off his pal to clear a shot. He pulled the trigger only to hear a click - the shell wasn't properly in the chamber.

    "I was screaming so hard and yelling at Jeff to shoot the bear, shoot it," Scown recalled. "I couldn't hear much else other than my heartbeat pounding through my chest."

    The bear tore through the tent before Hebert managed to get free and chase it away.

    The men were able to untangle themselves from the shredded tent, staining the snow-strewn ground red as blood dripped from their wounds.

    As Scown, still disoriented and in shock, stood guard, Herbert built a campfire and packed up what little was left of their belongings.

    The men hiked nearly five kilometres back to their trucks, where they could see bear tracks that indicated two animals had been following them that day.

    "It was totally a predatory attack and not a defensive attack because there was no threat," Herbert said. "Unfortunately we were on the menu that night."

    Herbert said the attack is especially odd because of an inversion wind that day, which would have sent their scents in the opposite direction of the bears.

    "It wasn't like we were rolling around in bacon grease. There were no food odours," he added.

    The men were treated in Cranbrook hospital for wounds to their forearms and a nasty bite to Scown's leg.

    Both men said the attack will have them thinking twice before going on overnight hunts alone.

    "It's very rare to get attacked by a grizzly bear in your tent," Herbert said.
    "It was my worst nightmare come true . . . From now on I'll be sleeping with the gun loaded in the tent." hunters/2118002/story.html

    Black Blade: Yep, another Bear Story. Always be prepared as best you can. I always am loaded for predators where ever they may be.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

  9. #8
    GuncoHolic 00redZX-6R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Kenockee, MI
    Feedback Score


    That is why all of my defense guns have a round in the chamber ready to rock.

    I live alone, so I do not have to worry about someone playing with my defense guns. I don't want to be fumbling with loading a gun under stress.

  10. #9
    Gunco Maniac Black Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)


    Grizzly bear attacks Alaska geologist twice; biologist not upset at bear

    Grizzly bear went back for seconds on an Alaskan biologist. The geologist survived and harbors no ill-feelings toward the grizzly bear.

    What's worse than a grizzly bear attack? When that grizzly bear comes back to attack again. An Alaskan geologist was the recipient of two attacks but survived, and harbors no grudge against the grizzly.

    By Mary Pemberton, AP
    posted June 24, 2010 at 7:53 pm EDT
    Anchorage, Alaska —

    The bearded, sandy-haired geologist was on a job in the remote Alaska wilderness when a grizzly bear suddenly emerged from the brush just yards away.

    So Robert Miller did what he was trained to do — he fell to the ground, clasped his hands around his neck to protect it and played dead.

    The bear wandered away and Miller thought he was in the clear. Pulling himself to his knees, he found out how wrong he was.

    The bear charged again and "this time he didn't want me to move. He was really thrashing me around," the 54-year-old said Wednesday from his hospital bed, his right arm and leg swathed in bandages, his left ear criss-crossed by stitches.

    Miller had been out scoping possible mining projects Sunday for his employer, Millrock Resources Inc., in a remote valley of the Alaska Range mountains near the Iditarod sled dog race trail. He'd finished for the day and was waiting for a helicopter to pick him up.

    Miller was clearing brush with a handsaw so the helicopter could land, when the bear appeared about 25 feet (7.6 meters) away.

    "When he stepped into the clearing he didn't snarl and stand up and show me how big he was. He just came for me," Miller said.

    Miller managed to pull out his .357 Magnum revolver and squeeze off a single shot, possibly grazing the animal. Then his survival training kicked in: He fell onto his stomach, dug his face into the dirt and covered his neck with his hands to protect it from the grizzly's claws and teeth.

    The bear went for his exposed right arm, gnawing and clawing it and chipping the bone off the tip of his elbow. The attack lasted 10-15 seconds, then the animal lumbered away.

    "I thought it was over, I thought he was gone," Miller said.

    He rolled over and was getting to his knees when the bear, which was only about 40 yards (meters) away, came at him again.

    "As soon as I turned, he was running already. It was shoot, shoot and roll back over," Miller said.

    He managed to fire two more shots, but with his right arm badly injured he thinks he missed the bear. Then he lay still as the animal gnawed and clawed at him.

    "It was no problem to lay there with my neck covered and let him chew. It was actually painless at that point," Miller said.

    After the second attack, Miller played dead again, lying still for three to five minutes as thoughts raced through his mind. Was the bear still around? How bad was he bleeding? Where was his gun?

    He tried to move and realized he couldn't. He was too badly injured.

    "I was just hoping my radio was still in my vest pocket and it was," he said. "I got it out and started radioing mayday, which nobody answered."

    He tried calling for help about every 20 seconds; about 20 minutes passed before a voice came over the radio.

    It was the helicopter pilot.

    Not knowing there had been a bear attack, he was calling in to let Miller know he was within 5 miles (8 kilometers) and needed to know the exact pickup spot.

    "I told him what had happened. So he came in low, just doing outwardly expanding circles to make sure there was no bear around," Miller said.

    Reassured the grizzly was gone, the pilot flew to the next valley and picked up geologist Ryan Campbell, who was trained as a wilderness medic.

    Campbell cleaned Miller's wounds and applied pressure bandages to stem the bleeding. That's when Miller really began hurting.

    "When he was cleaning out the wounds with this spray bottle ... it was a mixture of fire and electricity," Miller said.

    He was flown to a nearby air strip where an emergency medical technician was waiting, then taken by medical helicopter on the more than hour-long trip to Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage.

    Miller was fortunate to have survived, said Rick Sinnott, an Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist.

    He should have been packing a more powerful gun, Sinnott said. "You have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum."

    Miller did the right thing to play dead with the grizzly, Sinnott said.
    "Most of the time they just want to neutralize you and if you are playing dead after they swat you or hit you, you are pretty much neutralized. But if you try to run or stand right up or are screaming or waving your arms around, then they think you are still a danger," he said.

    Propped up in his hospital bed Wednesday, Miller gingerly touched what he thought were bite marks just above his buttocks on his left side. His right arm was heavily bandaged from bicep to wrist; another bulky bandage encased his right thigh, which the bear had chewed from the back of his leg to the front.

    Miller's face was unscathed except for a few scratches, but the bear nearly ripped off his left ear. Using his finger, he traced where it had been reattached with two rows of stitches.

    Still, the geologist, who until five years ago worked as a roofer, said he holds no grudge against the bear.

    "The bear was just doing what bears do," Miller said.

    He should have been packing a more powerful gun, Sinnott said. "You have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum."
    Black Blade: Yes, he definitely needed a more powerful gun. A Tokarev will work for our smaller Grizzlies here in Wyoming but for those Alaskan Brown Bears I think you would be better off with a .45 Colt or a .454 Cassull or even better a .500 S&W.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

  11. #10
    Gunco Maniac Black Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)


    Anchorage police officer repels black bear with Taser

    Anchorage Daily News
    Published: July 23rd, 2010 12:29 PM
    Last Modified: July 23rd, 2010 12:30 PM

    A problem bear that has been frequenting Hillside homes and yards in recent weeks was subjected to shock therapy from police spokesman Lt. Dave Parker's Taser on Thursday morning.

    After the small black bear got into a fish fryer on the porch, Parker decided to try a novel approach to deconditioning the animal to people, he said. He armed himself with a backup firearm and a personal Taser C2, which launches a 30-second burst of 100,000 volts, Parker said.

    "I thought, 'Here is a wonderful opportunity to give this a test,' " Parker said. He fired out the window and hit the bear in the shoulder from about 15 feet, he said.

    "The bear promptly went inverted, with feet in the air, growling and crying at the same time, flailing with his feet," Parker said. "He actually rolled off the porch."

    When it was done, the bear sat up, shook his head, seemingly to regain his wits, and then bolted "faster than any bear I've ever seen," he said.

    "Hopefully, he's associating electrification with getting into mischief in people's homes," Parker said.

    Anchorage police officer repels black bear with Taser: Bears in Alaska |
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts