Thread: The new survivalists: Oregon 'preppers' stockpile guns and food in fear of calamity

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default The new survivalists: Oregon 'preppers' stockpile guns and food in fear of calamity

The new survivalists: Oregon 'preppers' stockpile guns and food in fear of calamity

by Richard Cockle, The Oregonian

Saturday September 05, 2009, 10:00 AM

Richard Cockle/The OregonianWelder and gunsmith Jim Rector, at his La Grande shop with a World War I-era shotgun, says he's prepared if Western civilization collapses, as modern survivalists fear. He has weapons and food stashed, plus a remote hideaway staked out.

Veterinarian Richard Kimball of Burns has noticed a disturbing trend among some of his friends.

A Rockaway Beach couple has stockpiled food and assembled survival backpacks for their three adult children in Portland and Eugene. "If chaos arises, they can put the backpacks on so they can get home," said Kimball, 72. "There is a pistol in each of the backpacks."

Another longtime friend, a Harney County cattle rancher, recently bought an AK-47 assault rifle and 1,000 rounds of ammunition. "Does that tell you anything?" Kimball asked. "He's scared."

La Grande welder and gunsmith Jim Rector, meanwhile, said he has supplies and a jetboat at the ready to carry him and his wife to a secluded hideout along the Snake River.

They're all signs that the survivalist movement, slumbering since the Y2K scare and, before that, Jimmy Carter's bumpy presidency, has been shaken awake.

Government officials, academics, authors and others -- in addition to those doing the stockpiling -- say a growing number of people are independently building caches of food, weapons and precious metals such as gold.

As in earlier movements, survivalists are centered in conservative, rural areas such as eastern Oregon. Only this time, many prefer to be called "preppers" -- for preparedness -- and are driven by fears, stoked by Barack Obama's presidency, that economic catastrophe, sweeping technological failure and societal upheaval are just around the corner.

And though the movement intersects with a wave of weapon and ammunition hoarding among some who fear that Obama will clamp down on gun rights, there's little talk of forming militias as in past survivalist movements.

"People fear change; people get angry when they don't understand something," said La Grande City Councilman Steve Clements, 52, who teaches finance and information systems at Eastern Oregon University. "I think there is a lot of fear associated with having the first black president."
    La Grande's Mike Sirrine, a Vietnam veteran and retired human resources manager who has added guns to his arsenal and is stockpiling beans and rice, said it's not that clear-cut.

The new survivalism, he said, reflects "an indistinct fear, not a very well-focused fear." He added, though, that in our 21st century culture, a collapse no worse than the Great Depression would trigger "rioting and people dying in the streets."

James Wesley Rawles, a survivalist author, lecturer and consultant who lives in Idaho, estimates that preppers make up 1 percent of the U.S. population -- but 5 percent in eastern and southwestern Oregon.

The former U.S. Army intelligence officer is author of "Patriots, A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse" and creator of SurvivalBlog.com, a 4-year-old site that has logged millions of hits. It's a big draw among preppers committed to surviving what Rawles, 48, calls TEOTWAWKI -- the end of the world as we know it.

"Get your beans, bullets and Band-Aids together," Rawles said in a telephone interview, repeating a slogan from his Web site and insisting that supermarkets in most cities stock only a three-day supply of food.

"There is no reserve; there is no back room in the grocery store anymore," he said. "If the 18-wheel trucks stop rolling for any reason, it all unravels."

Rick Gately, who owns La Grande Gold and Silver, said his sales have jumped 50 percent since the real estate bubble burst and Obama was elected.

"There is a hard-money mind-set," he said. "Gold and silver are real money. I'm seeing self-made millionaires, professionals in all fields, ranchers and dirt farmers and people working at the mills."

Though preppers tend to keep their activities "a secret thing," he said, they talk to the person who sells them gold and silver. Those he meets express anxiety about the potential for natural disaster, major terrorist attack or "a fall from within based on the lack of responsibility of the government."

Retired railroader Randy Lindsey, 57, of La Grande has stored 35,000 pounds of food, tons more unmilled wheat, and survival and ammunition-reloading gear. A lifelong Mormon, he's motivated in part by church leaders' call to store up to two years of food per person.

Richard Cockle/The OregonianMike Sirrine (left) and Jim Rector discuss politics, game populations and ballistics in the gun room of Rector's La Grande welding and gunsmith shop. The men count themselves among "preppers," modern survivalists setting aside stores of weapons and food in fear of societal collapse.

But he's gone a step beyond. "I've got weapons here and at a remote location," he said. "Generators, water purification -- and all the food I have is freeze-dried."

Why? A dangerous, lawless period is "inevitable," he said. "Who knows? In a few months, we could have all hell break loose because of swine flu."

Wallowa County Commissioner Susan Roberts has also noticed elevated stockpiling in her remote county, possibly triggered by "out-of-control spending, the economy, the whole deal."

All the fuss perplexes Eastern Oregon University math professor John Knudson-Martin, who said the world is probably safer than ever. He suspects people are watching too much TV news.

"If a bomb goes off in Malaysia or halfway around the world, we hear about it, and it makes us think bombs are going off all the time," he said.

Other fears? Failure of the power grid is a common theme -- say if huge federal deficits trigger inflation and workers abandon their jobs, or if solar flares damage the grid the way they fused telegraph lines in 1859.

Others think an electromagnetic pulse -- EMP for short -- set off by a hostile nation exploding a nuclear device in space could fry computer chips -- shutting down everything from toasters and cell phones to trucks moving food, medicine and other essentials around the nation.

Gately, the metals dealer, said some of his customers "are actually making sure they have a vehicle that's not going to be impacted by an EMP."

Rural preppers also worry that economic or political instability could fuel urban riots, driving tens of thousands of city dwellers into small communities.

"What are we going to do with this mass of humanity?" asked a customer at Gately's shop, a 65-year-old La Grande retiree who didn't want his name disclosed. He began stockpiling last winter and now has enough to keep his family fed for many months, he said. He also bought four assault rifles to protect his stash from the gangs he expects to form.

Likewise, Rector has factored predatory gangs into his plans to flee to his Snake River hideout with his wife, Bettie, and their supplies.

"They are going to be dead from afar before they get to me," said Rector, 64, a longtime competitive shooter.

K.W. Royce of Wyoming, the Libertarian author of "Boston's Gun Bible" and another leading voice in the movement, has written of the potential for social upheaval and calls the veneer of civilization in America "very thin."

"Yet, it is typically the unprepared who jeer at the prepared," he said in an e-mail.

But Clements, the La Grande councilman, doesn't worry too much about social disintegration. He has faith in humanity's values, sense of responsibility and moral integrity.

It's the preppers he worries about: "I would be afraid if they were the ones who decided they were going to take control after the collapse."

-- Richard Cockle: rcockle@oregonwireless.net

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/09/the_new_survivalists_oregon_pr.html

Black Blade: Some people just don't get it. It is about having "insurance" more than anything else. We have auto insurance, home insurance, life insurance, medical insurance (for now) and preppers have "survivability insurance" with stored food, basic goods, firearms and ammo; and "portfolio insurance" with physical silver and gold. Should TSHTF then don't blame those who prepped while you are starving or are running from criminals. It's merely a living version of Aesop's fable "The Ant and the Grasshopper".
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post Good Article.

Would you believe, the biggest selling commodity before a Hurricane down here is "Beer."
    Least according to the local Wally World it is. They see a hurricane heading our way. Of course water, batteries, canned goods are shipped in for expected high sales. But beer is brought in by the trailer load. Go figure.
    Been following the survivalist movement for years. This after talking to a man that had a "survival course school" booth set up at a gun show.
    Most of his clients were in the higher income bracket, according to him.
    I have plenty of rifles, pistols and ammo.
    Been stocking up on rice. Rice with small amounts of vegetables can keep one alive for a long time.
    One only has too look back at hurricane Katrina, if you think you can sit back and wait for the Guberment to help.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Been stocking up on rice. Rice with small amounts of vegetables can keep one alive for a long time.
    It turns out that rice and beans have good combinations of carbs and protein. Add a little cajun seasoning, occasionally mix in some canned tuna or spam, and you've got something good to eat and nutritious. Wash it down with one of your beers, and things are looking good. Figure out how to cook your rice into rice wine and it's hog-heaven ...
    Q - What is Bambi?

A - Viable Target

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I am a member of one of those how to get ready for SHTF forums.There are about 12 members within 50 miles of my AO.
    When SHTF - The Modern Day Survival Forum
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

The way it is all looking, it would be a great idea to go buy up a couple more cases of BUD.

It is only a matter of a little more time till the TALIBAN gets to them Pakistani NUKES.

TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK............
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Living in South Florida taught me how fast grocery shelves can empty.
    The seniors, hell I am one now, would come in and empty the shelves with an impending hurricane coming.
    Hell I was just going in for a case of some brews.
    I kind of noticed the fear in there eyes. Then I got too thinking. What do these people know that I do not.
    Depression era, previous hurricanes, war, dont really know.
    A person can go for quite some time without food. But water is the key. Without water your gonna die.
    Bottled water was always first to go. I had my beer. Well its still liquid rite.
    I do not call anyone a fool for being prepared. The more the better. Only makes sense.
    If I was younger, guess I would be way more into the survivalist stuff.
    Have a family or little ones. Then hell go for it.
    Last hurricane here I went and stayed in my buddies brick house. He had headed north.
    Damn old lady had a football helmet on. My buddy came with me was so drunk, he didnt know why he was there.
    I was trying too listen too the radio. Fools started fighting over a card game.
    Got so damn pissed, I got in my truck and came home and stood in the back yard, back to the wind with my cat, and prayed that big tree crushed my place.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i have been stocking up since the berlin wall fell. still got some yummy vintage1979 c-rats!

the tornado is our big problem here. the way the jet stream has been acting lately it looks to be a good idea to keep the bomb/tornado shelter stocked up.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile

Someone in the future would find my skeleton in your shelter. With an un opened can of ham and Lima beans in my hand.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

I gotta to say I'm not happy that Black blade posted this here....

I'm spending way too much time reading over at SurvivalBlog.com and not getting anything done. Too much good information over there that I was unware of..

Ignorance is blisssssss............................

Thanks for posting this Black Blade that is a cool site with a wealth of information!!!

It is interesting that people who prepare for any type of disaster are call "survivalist" by those who don't understand. I just don't get some people's reaction that somehow the government will provide and protect them so they see no need to prepare.

We all saw how well that work for Katrina!!! Law enforcement abandoned their posts, power grid stopped working, looting, killing. It took the govenment 4 days to arrive and another few days to get things under control..Yet many people see that as an isolated incident and fail to believe it could happen again.

It happens all over the world to so called "civilazed" country/states. Look at Yugoslavia in the 90's. The olympics were held there a few years earlier then they self destructed into killing there own over land and religion.

I've talked with people I know well and they are lost in this notion that all things will work out in an emergency. They don't think about where their water comes from and what if it stops, food just grows in the store just go there when your out of it. No one thinks about when the store is out of it.

But I'm rambling about stuff I think we all know.

Props to Black Blade!
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.