Gunco Forums banner

Ultimate Bug Out Vehicle (BOV) - Living In A Trash Truck - Amazing

17K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  ashhoe 
#1 ·
[SIZE=+3]Living In A Trash Truck - Amazing[/SIZE]

Black Blade: This is a way to travel under the radar and still be going in style while at the same time being "low profile".​

See less See more
#2 ·
Low profile? Only in town. Semi tractors are used to haul compacted trash, not pickup vehicles.

Gotta say, a very smooth installation, nice!

#3 ·
To be truely low profile it needs to be a little rusty with garbage hanging out the back and leaving a trail of trash in its wake. Something like the Chameleon XLE from the SNL skit where the car is a pos on the outside but very luxurious on the inside.

#5 ·
Lots of wasted space on that upper level, I'd install some cargo racks and cabinets up there along the walls front to back. Better roof access hatch too, a short railing around the top and the roof could be used as more space. They did a heck of a job on that interior though!

Of course, for a real BOV it has too many windows, it needs gunports and a ringmount around the roof hatch on top. 360 degree night vision cameras too. Reinforced ramming bumper front and rear and an armored panel over that bike on the back.

#7 ·
Lots of wasted space on that upper level.
Looking it over, the upper level telescopes up when stationary and comes down during travel. Look at the chrome support bars in the corners. I'm having a hard time visualizing how that loft works, though. When down it's close over the kitchen area. Fine when time to sleep, but where does it stow during the day?

Also, is the side door obstructed when the loft is in "night" position?

#10 ·
AHH, a Pop Top! Looks like the sidewalls are a bit higher than the bed and rail on the loft so if the top is in the stowed position you couldn't sleep up there but nothing other than the roof has to move. Nothing obstructed except the windows are covered up when the top is in the down position.

#11 ·
But still, the bed covers and limits access to the galley and side door. Wonder where it stows in "daytime" use?

My best guess is that it accordions up against the front bulkhead, forming that control panel looking thing in one of the pictures, but that doesn't quite make sense given the pictures, either.

#12 ·
It looks like the bed is stationary, the ceiling in the galley area is the bottom of the bed platform. On the outside, the side door is below the roof section when it is lowered, inside there is a stepwell to get down to the door. In the one picture looking back at the seating area you can see three steps you have to ascend to get to the seating area. Looks like they had to raise the floor back there to clear the rear wheel, while the front section can be lower.

#13 ·
In the pics of the bed and the lounge, where's the range? I doubt it's been folded out of the way or otherwise covered.

I'm starting to wonder if we're not looking at two different floor plans. Something just doesn't add up.

#14 ·
In the pics of the bed and the lounge, where's the range? I doubt it's been folded out of the way or otherwise covered.

I'm starting to wonder if we're not looking at two different floor plans. Something just doesn't add up.
I'm assuming its obstructed from view by the large cabinet thing on the right next to the stove. But it DOES seem to be a bit off from that perspective.

At anyrate it is a pretty danged cool idea. Would make a great RV IMO.

#15 ·
Look at the 7th picture down from the top, the range is just forward of that wood closet/pantry thing. Notice the top of the pantry is below the level of the upper bed platform, theres a space there. Now, in pic 10 the view is from the raised platform the couches are set on, looking forward and down at the sunken galley area. The wooden closet/pantry is clearly visible on the right, and the gap between the top and the bed platform is still there. You just cant see the range because of the angle, the pantry blocks the view. #11, you can see the top of the pantry on the left.

#21 ·
The trash truck needs some kind of shooting holes on the sides and gun turrets on top insted of the sky lights. How is he going to be able to shoot his way out fo a bad situation. Bullet proof, Ooh yea It has to be bullet proof, sides, windows, & tires. That is what it need to be a real BOV. IMHO :redchug:

#22 ·
Earth Roamer XV-LT

http://www.earthroamer.com/galleries/2006_interior/index.htm

• Chassis: 2008 Silver Ford F550 Crew Cab with "Lariet Package" (super upgraded full leather and insturment panel gauges and toggle switches, etc.)
  • Four wheel drive with limited slip rear differential
  • 295/60r22.5 20 ply all season mud and snow rated tires
  • 350hp, 650 ft lb turbo-diesel engine
  • 90 gallons fuel capacity
  • 85 gallons fresh water
  • 510 watts solar panels
  • 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter
  • Cellphone booster (factory installed)
  • Remote start from key fob and automatic camper house battery charging
  • Front and rear winches
  • KVH Satellite dish
  • Two drop-down TV/DVD players in rear seat of crewcab
  • Audio/Video hook-ups in rear compartment for outside TV viewing
  • $5,000.00 Custom ugraded leather seating in living area of camper
  • ER installed Tool Box / Carrier to match ER ($2,500.00 option) Removable
  • HID Driving Lights installed in bumper ($1,600.00 option)
  • Kenwood GPS/Navigational system w/satellite radio/weather/traffic conditions + BT mutes the audio when a call comes in & volume goes up on disconnect
  • All primium upgrades on Audio/Video plus 2 sets wireless rear headphones
  • Totally automatic coffemaker that even fills itself with water
  • 12 volt grey water dump switch conveniently located on dash
  • 2 extra new never used, spare steer wheels & tires/mounted and balanced (a $1,600.00 option/included with the EarthRoamer)
  • i-Pod hook up
  • 4 TV's between crew-cab and living area
  • Black granite counter top with granite extention providing 4 feet of extra kitchen countertop working space for the Lady of the Camper.
  • Electric trailer braking and trailer/tow car hookup factory installed
  • Water purification system
  • All diesel appliances and water heater plus back-up heat as well!
  • Hydronic heater heats the ER and the engine while you drive
  • Two 135 amp alternators on the truck engine to charge camper batteries
  • 4 wheel ABS disc brakes
  • Optional 90 gallon diesel fuel capacity w/two tanks
  • $400.00 Solid Birch Bunk access ladder to king size bed
  • Birch storage locker for your laptops, cameras, & all your expedition gear
  • Fully automatic electric patio awning
  • 5 piece custom fit silver reflective "pop-in" window insulators (provides you with super privacy and also keeps out thermal heat from the sun)
  • All campground hook-ups (i.e.: grey water and campground provided water are "brass quick disconnect fittings.
  • Truly a "Green Machine" with no generator, propane or gasoline.
http://www.earthroamer.com/

Black Blade: Very nice but very expensive (~$250,000).

#24 ·
That includes the truck. I did find out that the base model is about $200,000 new and there are other models. The waiting list is about six months. Too rich for my blood but if money were no object, who knows. I could try running it by my CPA to write off as a business expense. :brows:

#26 ·
I have seen pics of one build out of 4x4 military commo trucks, 4x4 service trucks like some utilties use, and an old 4x4 ambulance. One that was done on the cheap used stuff out of two basicly junk RV trailers that the guy picked up for free. I knew a guy that made one out of a 4x4 van that had the addition of a canvas tent addition that could be deployed from the side and a roof extension that cranked up so you could stand in the back. He was an ex-hippy and crack chip designer that liked to travel around for 6 month out of the year between bouts of manic work binges when he was under contract.

-yarro

#27 · (Edited)
Yes...the ultimate BOV if you happen to have $600K-$950K to spend on a German truck. Only about 20 years take home pay for many of us. Makes the Ford above look like a bargain, huh? This is one example of many optional chassis/bodies/interiors made to order by Unicat (ie Unimog based vehicles built in Germany) You didn't really think this was even remotely related to a garbage truck did you? Nein Dumbkopf! They are awesome und unparalleled vehicles...and you get what you pay for (in Euros?) if you're one of the elite heading for your underground shelter!
To quote from their website in regard to their company's purpose...

"...to introduce Americans (especially my “Baby Boomer” peers) to the expedition lifestyle. Drive from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, to Tierra Del Fuego, Chile, roads optional. Ship your EV to the Sahara, Gobi, Kalahari Deserts or the Australian Outback. See people and places that others can only dream of. All this in a vehicle offering the highest standards of reliability, safety and comfort."

Maybe next year I'll ship my 18 ton EV to Australia and go have a look around...just for fun...

Unicat - Go Anywhere Off-Road RV - Vehicles for Rescue, Escape, Survival, or Pleasure

#29 ·
#28 ·
2 seconds after I win one of the lotteries I'm ordering one of the most tricked out earthroamers. Those things are straight up bad ass.
I guess I need play a lottery though..., I hate paying the poor mans tax for a one in 5 trillion chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.