Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: survival chainsaw?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I would echo something that 4th said, a stihl will last , and last , and last. I like the power curve better on a Husky than a stihl, but it is damn hard to beat a stihl. As an occasional saw I think that husky is probably the best going, over the long haul, stihl is hard to beat... most people never have to worry about the long haul.
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

I would ask before you buy just to be certain what you are buying. some husky saws are NOT made in sweeden now, that are made by pulon, yes the same POS as the ones in walmart. you can allmost pick them out of the line once you know to look. ASK ware it was made be certain they are not selling you a crock of crap first. only buy the real deal!

here is the first link I could find. I guess husky bought them, be shure you get a model made in Sweeded if you do not want a $99 saw
    Poulan Chainsaws - An Honest Review
    I am off the page for extended times due to job requirements, not gone forever

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I have a 455 Rancher I bought after last winters ice storms here in the ozarks. I paid $365.00 + tax. I got it with a 24" replaceable tip roller bar & chain included. I had some big trees down. I still need to get a smaller bar & chain. We have a Husky dealer in our town of 650, so that's the way I went.
    I have no complaints, other than like most new saws there is no manual oiler. I'm an old fart & like to be in control.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrel View Post
    I would ask before you buy just to be certain what you are buying. some husky saws are NOT made in sweeden now, that are made by pulon, yes the same POS as the ones in walmart. you can allmost pick them out of the line once you know to look. ASK ware it was made be certain they are not selling you a crock of crap first. only buy the real deal!

here is the first link I could find. I guess husky bought them, be shure you get a model made in Sweeded if you do not want a $99 saw
    Poulan Chainsaws - An Honest Review
    i was aware of the small huskys not being real huskys. i have no intention of buying any chain saw for that matter smaller than 50cc and want the most CC-- i can get for the $$.

PS i hate wally-world. j427x out-

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    I have a 455 Rancher I bought after last winters ice storms here in the ozarks. I paid $365.00 + tax. I got it with a 24" replaceable tip roller bar & chain included. I had some big trees down. I still need to get a smaller bar & chain. We have a Husky dealer in our town of 650, so that's the way I went.
    I have no complaints, other than like most new saws there is no manual oiler. I'm an old fart & like to be in control.

the 455 husky is what i am looking hard at--the 5100s dolmar is about $90-110 higher than this 455 rancher i am looking at but only a bit more HP.

the makita 510 i have found is about the same price as the husky 455 but only 3.2hp

and last but not least baileys has the makita 6400 on sale for $499 shipped. likely a very good saw but i don't know if it is worth $180 over the husky 455 for what i'll be doing with it.

i am going to look at some used saws--maybe i'll find a good saw if i don't i think the 455 husky is the saw for me.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

OK bought chainsaws today.

got one open box but like new husky 455 rancher for $300.

on the way home i dropped buy a neighbors house that is still in the logging biz. he just happened to have an old stihl 044 saw that had had a new jug,piston& rings installed. it looks ragged but runs very well. the bar and chain don't even look half bad either- got the old stihl for $75! can't beat that with a stick!

so i think i am good for saws for a while i hope.

Feedback Score

Congratulations. You got yourself two nice saws for a great price. Especially the Stihl was a steal! (pun intended)

The 044 is a great saw for it's size. I occasionally I run a 36" bar on it for the big stuff. If the compression is strong you may have trouble cranking it over when cold. Stihl makes an "Elastostart" handle that has a rubber sping inside. This gets rid of the sensation that the pull cord is tied to an 800 lbs concrete block when you yank on it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Meh .... i would have gotten this one ...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Sold!

Quote Originally Posted by o.d. ak View Post
    Meh .... i would have gotten this one ...

WOW!--LOL! what a bayonet !!!!

Feedback Score

I am a full time logger in New England .I am glad to hear you found that used 44.The 044 and 046 are built for punishment.I buy them used when I can and the last one I bought 4 years ago is still running strong after 80cds of stove length firewood and at least 2 milliond board feet of timber not to mention slashing tops etc.
    Huskys Ive dealt with won't start easily if they have not been used in a while.Ran those for 10 years or so.

Stihls are like Kalashnikovs-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.