Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: survival chainsaw?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

been running the old 044 stihl. it seems to be a great saw. lots of power on the 24 inch bar. fairly easy to start and easy to run for such a big and powerful saw. decently light for its size and power. going to have to put a clutch on it though. otherwise very happy with it.

the new husky 455 rancher ran a bit rich ironically. and i don't like the safety chain crap they got on it from the factory. some of the stuff on it ain't pro quality but it looks livable. otherwise it is an OK saw. we will see if it holds up. the power is good enough for most uses somewhere around 3.5 hp i think it is a bit more heavy than the shindaiwa 575

i tried out an old dolmar 6800I while my 044 was in the shop. the dolmar 6800i is an old powerhouse but heavy as a cast iron stove! the thing was burning gas like it was still $0.25 a gallon and oiling like a saudi oil field! it does pull like a freight train though.

could have been a good saw with a little work. too much hassle factor for me though.

i did find a sort of deal on a like new shindiawa 575 chainsaw at the pawn shop. so cheap i just impulse bought it. took it out and cut about 2 ricks with it today. easy starting plenty of power on the short 16 inch bar. plenty of hp (4.2) for such a small saw. about all one would need for normal sized firewood. it don't burn much gas and the oiler just puts out just enough oil for the chain.

i like the little shindaiwa so much i have sort of been pawn-shopping around for little tojo"s big brother the shindaiwa 757! that is less i run across another deal on a 044!

Feedback Score

Put 8 tooth sprocket and a 16" bar and chain on that 44 she'll really fly!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Sold!

Quote Originally Posted by leeroy View Post
    Put 8 tooth sprocket and a 16" bar and chain on that 44 she'll really fly!

i may try that and one of those big bore kits--83cc!!LOL!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.