Thread: 10 Ways to Prepare for Disaster

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default 10 Ways to Prepare for Disaster

10 Ways to Prepare for Disaster

A survival expert offers preparation tips for calamities-natural and manmade.

PHOTOS

Give Me Shelter

A look at survivalist housing through the years--from air-raid bunkers to panic rooms

By Cody Lundin | Newsweek Web Exclusive
    Dec 28, 2009

1. Assume that a disaster can happen. Don't assume that it won't. Survival is 90 percent psychology, so being mentally and emotionally unprepared lowers your survival odds.

2. Try not to panic. You will be scared during a survival scenario, but the act of preparing before an emergency will help you deal more effectively. Spread facts, not fear. Share survival training based upon sound human psychology and physiology from reputable sources.

3. Know your limits. Unless your family is a group of Special Forces soldiers, they will have specific needs during a disaster. Lack of physical fitness, forgotten medications, mobility challenges, and a host of other variables demand that you custom-create a survival plan for your family.

4. Know how to do more with less. The simple act of tent camping in the outdoors with a family will teach you more in a weekend about what is required to live simply and be happy than reading survival books in the comfort of your living room.

5. Keep it simple. Fancy preparedness plans and survival gear fail under the pressures of a real-life scenario. The less moving parts the better.

6. Prepare for whatever disaster is likely to affect your area. Not every place on the planet has the same needs.

7. Along with your home-based supplies, create a "bug-out" kit(s) for your family, containing mobile emergency supplies should you be forced to evacuate.

8. Act: Physically prepare and act upon your preparedness plan. Talk is cheap. Practice, practice, and practice your preparedness plan; and don't be afraid to modify it as your needs change.

9. Do the neighborhood thing. Once your family is prepared, get your neighbors on the same page, similar to a neighborhood block watch.

10. When your preparation work is done, rotate certain survival-kit items such as food and medications as they expire, but live your life. Preparedness training that breeds fear and paranoia is counterproductive and the enemy of true, long-term self-reliance.

Lundin is the author of " When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need to Survive When Disaster Strikes ," and the founder of the Aboriginal Living Skills School in Prescott, Ariz

http://www.newsweek.com/id/228429
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

A good BASIC simple list.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

11. Don't live in a neighborhood.

Feedback Score

I have thought about the neighborhood thing but hesitate to let MY neighbors know anything about what I have. Maybe its the cop in my. Oh by the way I am new here and enjow the forum.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Preparedness training that breeds fear and paranoia is counterproductive and the enemy of true, long-term self-reliance.
    Truth.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Welcome to our bunch there 505. We are all a bunch of oddballs but somehow do get along.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score

water,food, solid shelter, heat, and firearms.a hand crank radio is good too. everything else is a luxury imo. lots of variables to consider as well. i really like the idea of solar electric, even when all is fine. im getting a set up this year, like $200 at harbor freight ive read. and by the way, hello all! havent been around here ina while.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Solar power is a win win! But, for $200.00? That may not be very much capacity? Usually a good 50 watt, 12V panel will run several hundred along with no regulator or batteries. Just be sure to verify what you are investing in.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Samsclub had a special last week I think it was $250 for a 4 panel 60watt solar system. The prices are getting lower.
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.