Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Holiday Prepping Adventure

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default My Holiday Prepping Adventure

I traveled to Idaho and found the mindset of Idahoans clearly focussed on preparation and survival. In fact I went to a couple of "Preparedness" stores and saw that even Walmart is in on the action.

I found a "Preparedness Center" at the local Walmart.It may be because of the fairly large LDS (Mormon) population in the area, however, it is interesting since "Preppers" and "Survivalists" outside the Rocky Mountain states probably don't see this in the Walmart stores in their areas. There are buckets of grains, canned goods, freeze-dried food items and blue water drums. Walmart isn't the only store I visited in my quest to stock up.

I stopped into the local "Army Surplus" store and it was like a kid in a candy store. So much I wanted but focussed mostly on my prep needs.

More Meals Ready to Eat (MRE) were on display as were the blue water drums. I bought six 55-gallon drums for one of my alternative E&E sites. I passed on the MREs as I personally prefer the freeze-dried foods with the indefinite shelf life. Next I went to Home Depot and got some shelve units that I set up and started to load with food and survival gear.

Upper Shelves

Lower Shelves

I loaded one set of shelves with cases of Mountain House freeze-dried and cases of spices, canned Red Feather butter and canned Red Feather cheese. I have a few buckets of grains and will pick up a few "Gamma Lids" later.

My next project was to build shelves for ammo and firearm accessories. I put a case of 7.65 Argentine, one case of Czech milsurp and four cases of milsurp Russian 7.62x54R on the floor, pistol and shotgun ammo on the middle shelves and 7.62x39 ammo on the upper shelf with the loaded AK-47 magazines in the green vinyl five-cell pouches.

Of course I had to get a decent 40-gun safe (Heritage) to hold a variety of handguns, shotguns and rifles. In all, it has been a decent holiday break and I did get a few things accomplished.

- Black Blade
    Last edited by Black Blade; 01-03-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Where is the BOOZE!?!?

Electric power?

Climate control?

DIRTY MAGAZINES!!!!!?????

BUMMER!
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Now that SS has declared me disabiled,maybe I can start back on my gun/prep/room.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Cool.

MUSIBIKE is correct though. I dont see any beer.
    All kidding aside. There is big money in that survivalist stuff.
    You seem to be very interested and informative on survivalism.
    I am starting too see more and more survival companies showing up at gun shows.
    Would you believe there are people who do not even know how to start a fire without a can of gasoline.
    A compass is something they see on T.V.
    With the economy in the dumps. People, wealthy people, are starting to get real interested in your way of thinking.
    Why dont you start up a survival school course for people?
    You might have to travel. But maybe you can put some bucks in your pocket with your knowledge.
    Start a little survival company and see how it goes. People will come. Bet yah can make some money for yourself.
    Add: Oh you can bet if Wally World is jumping on the band wagon. For sure there is some big $$$ to be made.
    Last edited by 4thIDvet; 01-03-2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Too add.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

In this part of the country farmers rotate potatoes with barley. No need to store beer. There is a Budweiser and Corona grainery nearby and all I really need to keep on hand are brewers yeast and bottles. Although I did rack some mead not to long ago (but no Viking ancestry that I know of). Dirty magazines? I keep my magazines clean..... Oh, those kind of magazines. Got some nudie pics on my computers.

I have other food stores and supplies in other locations with family and like-minded friends in our "community" in other western Mountain states as well. This is just my most recent project.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

hey blade
    good thread
    i learned a lot of survival skills from the military but most people wouldnt know what to do
    what about manuals?like medical type and such
    you can probably store those on disk but
    in the event of emp a computer would be rendered usless
    and also what about com equipment?if theres no emp they can be usefull
    if you dont like to talk to others at least you can monitor whats going on
    keep up the good work!
    Keep the change-I just want my Country back!!!

Feedback Score

Good posts. Thanks

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

We went over to the store today and got at least another month's worth of preps. We had two wagons packed.

When I get paid next week for my unemployment, we are going to do it again next weekend? If it does not hit the fan before then?
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zteknik View Post
    hey blade
    good thread
    i learned a lot of survival skills from the military but most people wouldnt know what to do
    what about manuals?like medical type and such
    you can probably store those on disk but
    in the event of emp a computer would be rendered usless
    and also what about com equipment?if theres no emp they can be usefull
    if you dont like to talk to others at least you can monitor whats going on
    keep up the good work!
    I have down-loaded a few files and have some CDs including the library of Mother Earth News (yeah I know) and many of Ragnar Benson's books (downloaded and printed out in a three ring binder), the SAS Survival Handbook, etc. I had considered building a library of survival books but it would be too extensive due to the variety of possible disasters and scenarios with so many potential consequences. (see link below)

How is America going to end? Slate's "Choose Your Own Apocalypse" lets you map out the death of the United States. - By Josh Levin - Slate Magazine

For military manuals to download:

us joint services manuals
    Last edited by Black Blade; 01-15-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

cool links!!
    ill have to do the same and download some stuff and put in a binder
    and definitly im gonna order the foxfire series when i get some tax money back!
    its realy not a survival series but how it was done pre electronic-i think it mighta been you B.B that pointed me to the site
    with all the uncertainty these days its good to be prepared and most of all -practiced-becomes second nature
    Keep the change-I just want my Country back!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.