Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Handling the Pressure

Feedback Score

Default Handling the Pressure

Got the cast iron cookery supplies well taken care of, so just got this bad boy to delve into some canning. Capacity, 21-1/2 quarts. For canning, it accommodates 7 quart jars or 19 pint jars. Can process a GOOD batch in one session.

These models are offered now through Amazon.com at a reduced price. Proudly designed and manufactured in the United States - yeah !!

All part of the SHTF master plan, don't ya know.
    My folks have always canned fruits and vegetables and kept a well stocked supply away. I'm not much on canning fruits, but am really interested in canning meat stews, vegetable stews, and vegetables...and want a good supply stored away.

Only canned (water bath) once long ago. So will be a learning adventure for sure. Pressure canning is recommended for some foods and meats especially. The pressure cooker/canner comes with a good amount of canning technique and advice in the book. I'm told the Ball Canning Blue Book is great reference too, as well as Backwoods Magazine.

Also, looks like some pretty great recipes for pressure cooking too. Need to get some roasts ready.

Regards,

MD
    Last edited by SwampBilly; 05-07-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

That looks like a pretty serious setup. You can have pretty good luck going to a salvation arms store for old pressure cookers cheap. People don't can like they used to and most younger people don't want gramma's old pressure cooker when she goes.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

very nice. I am glad you found a USA product!
    I am off the page for extended times due to job requirements, not gone forever

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A lot of people think a pressure cooker might explode, and won't even consider using one.

You can use them for more than just canning - we did a nice roast in one a few days ago. Much faster than the oven, and it doesn't dry out. You can also do chickens and small or sectioned turkeys. If you're into basting and crust it won't be the same, of course, but it's way faster than baking.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Skills like this will keep people alive when/if SHTF comes.Guns and ammo are only part of it.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

My grandmother used to can like this but none of my living relatives do this anymore. Fast becoming a lost art of sorts. For now I am mostly stocked with canned and freeze-dried foods but may have to look into this should I come into a lot of produce.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL!

he found SOMETHING made in the USA!

hell yea i'll be canning some groceries. i ain't going to be one of the poor slobs waiting for the government to save them!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Pressure cookers can also be used to sterilize instruments, like an autoclave.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Squib Loads

My wife used to can strawberries but she got mad when I used the Parafin wax in my basement squib loads. Just a magnum primer and a little wax for a bullet. good for 20 to 25 Ft. at card board box's - makes it fun in those snow days in the basement. you know quick draw.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

My mom canned just about everything when I was a kid. The wife is currently learning. She did alot this fall. If I remember correctly, my mom could also distill water w/ hers. I think she had a separate line that attached to the lid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.