Gunco Forums banner

Jerry Cans

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  tanvil 
#1 ·
Bundeswehr 20 Liter Jerry Can

From the ad:

Brand-Spanking-New Bundeswehr issue 20L (5.16 gallon) jerry cans. The demand, internationally, has increased so dramatically, that prices have gone up substantially. We can't help that, still think they're the best jerry cans and well worth it. The ones with the small neck, so you can put a pouring spout on 'em. Built like an automotive fuel tank from two deep-drawn vertical halves of heavy-gauge 1.1mm thick, plasma welded steel, providing for a super-rigid and very strong canister, that'll survive virtually anything! The interiors are enameled to minimize scale from forming. The mouths, made of yet heavier steel, have those fabulous snap-lock caps, which truly are leak proof. (Unlike the GI screw-type). A thick rubber seal and leverage guarantee it. 19" x 13" x 6.25", weigh: 8.58 lbs.

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1718

Black Blade: I ordered 8 of these cans myself. Prices on Jerry cans have gone through the roof and these NATO fuel cans are difficult to find as well. The EPA has effectively made the old style GI Jerry Cans illegal for manufacture and sale in the US so the supply is drying up. I see that the word is starting to get out on some of the other preparedness sites so this is a heads up.

See less See more
#2 ·
How long can you store this crap they are selling as gasoline these days? I've noticed most small farms don't even have tanks anymore & I've been told it's because it goes bad so fast.

#3 ·
In general the use of a commercial grade fuel stabilizer on an annual basis will extend the useful life of fuel for an extra year. This annual procedure can be repeated between 5 and 10 times, thus giving fuel between 5 and 10 years of storage life. I use diesel myself and it has a longer storage life than gasoline. PRI Fuel Treatments are capable of restoring and rejuvenating old fuels. Stabilzer must be blended (shaken, stirred, or re-circulated) and left several minutes to several hours to restore fuel quality. In most cases the fuel will recover to engine manufacturers' fuel specification.

I have Power Research Incorporated (PRI) treatment stabilizer to preserve and restore fuel freshness. PRI-G for gasoline, and PRI-D for diesel, kerosene and home heating oil extends fuel storage life for all fuels. PRI recommends that for long-long storage, all fuels be re-treated annually at the normal dosage rate to ensure maximum freshness and performance. I just rotate my diesel fuel cans but keep a couple extras at relatives just in case.

Diesel fuel, being lightly refined, has a relatively long storage life (5-10 years reported) if properly cared for. This includes relatively stable temperature, commercial fuel preservative/algaecide (I prefer Pri-D) and above all else keeping it dry to prevent possible water contamination and subsequent algae-bacteria growth.

#5 ·
We use 2-liter soda bottles. We found a bunch of the 8-bottle trays for a few bucks at a flea market, and recycling the bottles was free.

Not as compact as the cans, but the price was right and the size is convenient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.