Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 12V tire inflator

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Question 12V tire inflator

I had to plug a tire today. No problem, I have the compressor and a plug kit on the truck.
    It brought back a recollection of a small compressor that I had (no idea where it went) years ago that plugged into the cigarette lighter. I remember it being a cheezy piece of junk that could barely get the rim off the ground.
    I wondered if there are quality versions of it on the market.
    Does any one have a recommendation?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I still have a little 12v compressor. It came with a fifth-wheel travel trailer my folks bought, and used up. Forester brand. We salvaged it before carting it to the dump, and that was my little prize. It was hard-wired, so I had to buy a cig lighter plug. Not all of those little compressors were cheezy, this one builds (slowly, it's TINY) up to 140 PSI. Originally used to pressurize the fresh water system.

Maybe check with a RV supplier?
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I had a 120v compresser about the size of a AC vaccum pump taken from my truck tool box.I got the $20 12volt DC model from Walmart.Takes 10 minute to fill my 16" tyre to 35lbs.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

There are these 12V combination, BOOSTER, Tire inflater and, emergency light that come in a combined carry set from Cabelas or Sportsmans guide.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

You can get those booster battery combos from most auto parts stores too. Warn makes a combo winch/air compressor for the hardcore offroad guys, that should be pretty durable. When you are at the local magazine rack check out the off road 4X4 mags, they usually have a few pages of equipment reviews. These guys need reliable equipment so they should have a few good recommendations.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The newest winch/air cylinder combos are the best but somewhat pricey unless you're planning on offroading.

Back in the day Jeepers would use an air hose to connect directly to the cylinder by removing a spark plug and as I recall disconnecting the gas flow so the tire wouldn't be inflated with gas vapor. Wouldn't it be nice to take advantage of that.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

How to build dune buggys and baja bugs,that plug adapter trick was in there to.Railbuggy made one to carry in his bugs.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Great suggestions, thanks everyone.
    (How the heck do you turn the gas off to one cylinder? Scuse ma ignorance but I've never seen a VW engine up close.)
    I've been wanting to put a winch on the Suburban but with work ($$$) being slow, it's kind of hard to justify spending the money. The only offroad it sees is the beach where there is nothing to winch to anyway, plus there are air towers at the exits. I'm thinking the combos from Cabellas might be useful. One in the van and one in the suburban.
    And since this is in the survival/preparedness forum I would add NEVER buy a cheap plug kit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If you have a modern engine with individual fuel injectors for each cylinder, you just pull the connector for that injector. Older carb engines, you're pumping fuel vapor.

This kit is supposed to pump only air from outside the engine:

Engine Powered Air Pump for Motorcycles -  Stop & Go International

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I used to own a fitted hose with a one-way valve that connected to a spark plug hole. Filled more than a couple of tires with gas/air mixture, didn't know it was bad!?!? Never had any problem with the tires, though.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.