Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ramen noodles

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default ramen noodles

I put away a small stash of ramen noodles the other day. You know, the cheap imported ones in the plastic packs.

Yesterday I got one out and it had gone moldy. So had the others.

Morals: check your food supplies occasionally, and it's a good idea to rotate stock. I'd forgotten that some things have a limited storage life, so I can't just stuff a box in the closet and forget about it. You need to have your stash reasonably close to your kitchen, so you can shift old and new stock as needed.

The proper thing to do would be to appropriate one or more of the kitchen cabinets for this purpose, but my wife has already filled them with her "good" dishes we never get to use, and crap neither of us will eat, but she refuses to discard.

Even the best-laid plans fall short of the reality of life-as-we-know-it...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Interesting.

Good tip. I did not know Ramen noodles would go bad.
    Rice also I guess can go sour.
    Me and my buddy were eating dinner and the Asian girls told us the rice was sour.
    Not sure if it goes sour after cooking or in a dry state.
    Hell it tasted good too us so we ate there dinner.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yeah my wife says stuff like that about the rice in our cooker from time to time... I think the rice is perfectly edible, maybe not as "fresh" but it sure seems good every time she says that.

Speaking of Asian food, you guys really should get some 5 gallon soy sauce buckets from a local asian diner and wash them out good, then get some of the screw-on lids from Sportsman's Guide. They really work, and the 5 gallon buckets are instantly stackable in the garage or elsewhere. The local restaraunt throws theirs out every week or two. The buckets from soy sauce are best, but the oil buckets work too... they are all food-grade and just need a bit more soap The ginger buckets are square and so you can't really find lids for them. Any carry-out restaraunt should have an ample supply they throw out so you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding some.

I label mine with some 2" blue masking tape so I can easily figure out what's inside. We have a dozen of them I think. Keep everything from rice (easily holds a 25-pound bag!) to packets and other dry goods we don't want to store inside but don't want to leave out for the bugs in the garage. They are $7.00 if you're a member. I got the white lids since I figure if we ever keep them indoors the white ones look good for the kitchen:

Tools, Storage, Gamma Seal Storage Container Seals, By Gamma at Sportsman's Guide
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I got pasta of different types put away in my preps.Never heard of mold on dry pasta before.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The local Menards (like a home depot) has white snap on lids for 5 gal buckets for around $3-$4 last time I got some.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    I put away a small stash of ramen noodles the other day. You know, the cheap imported ones in the plastic packs.
    It's been my experience that the imported ramens are anything but cheap. Are you sure your ramen didn't come from California (or do you consider California a "foreign country"?)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    The buckets from soy sauce are best, but the oil buckets work too... they are all food-grade and just need a bit more soap The ginger buckets are square and so you can't really find lids for them.
    C'mon, Pookie, you're gonna make people crazy.

A far more available source for food grade 5g buckets is your local donut shop. Their fillings come in 2.5g and 5g buckets, and they do go through them . . .

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

"Dry" noodles aren't always dry, they absorb moisture from the air if not sealed airtight. Dessicant packs in a sealed bucket is the way to store them long term. Sill have to rotate.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

"Even the best-laid plans fall short of the reality of life-as-we-know-it..."

Yeah...like getting married!
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
    A far more available source for food grade 5g buckets is your local donut shop. Their fillings come in 2.5g and 5g buckets, and they do go through them . . .
    The bakery at any grocery store will usually give them away for free [or that may just be a midwest thing...]

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Here is another cheaper source for Gamma Seal lids:
    GAMMA SEALS AS LOW AS $3.99 EACH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.