Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any goals past mere survival?

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Any goals past mere survival?

Most of the gun forums have SHTF areas, and there are whole forums like whenshtf.com dedicated to it.

Reading through the messages, there are two clear scenario groups.

Group 1: Plans to grab his arsenal, take off somewhere (usually "the mountains"), engage in long gunfights with roving gangs, and live as some kind of combination of "mountain man" and "road warrior", at least until the ammo gives out.

Group 2: Builds stocks of supplies, plans to hunker down at home or some preselected location for the duration.

The interesting part is that both groups expect "them" (apparently the reviled and hated Feds) to eventually come swooping in and make it all better. Eventually, anyway.

The other interesting parts is that both groups expect to make it alone, or with a very small group of preselected friends.

Many of these people are network engineers, stockbrokers, insurance salesmen, radiology techs... in a post-apocalyptic world, they have no useful skills.

If "civilization" failed, what skills do you have that you could contribute to rebuild a community?

Make no mistake - you *need* some kind of community. You need someone to watch your back when you sleep, to help guard the crops, and to help when you get sick. If you're lucky, you might even live long enough for old age to be a problem.

When things are scarce, other people are going to want the things that are yours, and they're willing to gang up to get them. The only long term way to resist them is to have your own gang, whether you call it that, or a village, or a retreat.

So, would you be just another mouth for "them" to feed, or do you have any useful skills? Bear in mind there's liable to be a surplus of fighters and stoop labor.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I live in a very isolated rural setting in the Rocky Mountains so I will likely dig in. I have other places I could fall back to if necessary. Most of my neighbors are preppers and in a similar mindset and many are Mormons so roving gangs of Mormons aren't a serious concern of mine. I'm more of the idea that we will see an economic collapse worse than the Great Depression with oppressive Government controls. My idea of survival is to "Go Galt" and watch the chaos from afar.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

My goal is to collect a harem and live as a provicial warlord

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Yes, achieve global domination and repopulate the planet with redheads.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I've been in construction all my adult life, so I have knowledge and services to offer.
    Although in a SHTF, retiring to a cave makes a world of sense to me.
    A nice fire pit in the main floor area. Animal skins, fresh meat.
    A voracious sex frenzy for the sake of repopulation like zoom says.
    When does it start?
    Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    My goal is to collect a harem and live as a provicial warlord

I like the way you think!!!

I live in a condo, my plan is to go out in the parking lot, do a mag dump and let everyone know that now, they are all working for me!!

Feedback Score

You might find this interesting if you like survival versus shtf AusSurvivalist Forum: Survival Tactics And Equipment
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and goverment, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

I took that to heart as a young man. I haven't yet died gallantly, conned a ship, planned an invasion or set a bone. Something to look forward to
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

I took that to heart as a young man. I haven't yet died gallantly, conned a ship, planned an invasion or set a bone. Something to look forward to
    I'll agree with that, unfortunately there are many that can do none of those things.
    Spent the first 12 years of my adult life blowing things up, next 17 fabricating/ welding so along the way I've picked up a lot of skills. The fact that I've been too poor to pay people to do work for me, so I had to figure out how to do it myself has helped.
    I'd rather be a "has been" than a wannabe!

2TIMOTHY2,4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairsof this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

God, Guns and Guts made America free,
    Lets keep all three.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

If society breaks down to the point that many envision and the government reacts the way they say then they are dead. The government will go door to door collecting resources and disarming everyone. If you resist, they will simple blow up where ever you at. They will fly around with FLIR looking for hold outs. They will look at satelite maps for signs of you. They will look through tax records when you just disappear.

All is not lost as there are things that will have a happish ending if you were a little prepared. I broke them up into three groups.

Everyday senarios that you should be prepared for as they are most likely:

1) You loose your job or lose income.
    2) You or member of your family becomes disabled.
    3) Local crime rate goes up.
    4) Inflation takes off or Deflation takes hold.
    5) Taxes get raised insanely.
    6) You have legal troubles.

The senarios that are most likely but not everyday type stuff and you should be prepared for:

1) a 3-5 day localized severe breakdown of order due to social upheaval or natural disaster. This is why you should have firearms and the skills to use them.

2) A localized breakdown of supply in the neighborhood of 7-28 days possibly associated with the previous or due to a cut of petro supplies or economic crisis. This is why we prep.

3) An attack on a major US city that kills tens to hundreds of thousands causing 1 and/or 2. This will happen at somepoint because we let our enemies make highly enriched nuclear fuel and no one has ever failed to make a bomb after obtaining it.

4) A honest all hands on deck war like WWII, if overseas then preping will be a goodsend, but if here then firearms and skills will be needed along with the prep.

5) Civil war or oppressive Hugo Chavez type government, which could cause intemittant 1 and 2 with lots of shortages.

6) A biological threat (affecting humans or food supply) spreads across the US causing 1 and/or 2.

Unlikely events (but have happened while humanity has been around):

1) A dorminant volcano near/in a major population center becomes active and disrupts/displaces large numbers or people.

2) A super volcano erupts causing mass crop failures or maybe killing most everyone in North America.

3) A smallish comet/asteroid creates and air burst.

4) A very large earthquake in the ocean causes a tsunami across the entire east or west coast (East Coast has known threat).

5) Full scale nuclear war. The prep and planning required to guarantee survival of this is beyond most people's finances and realistically may not actually be possible.

6) Large asteroid. Requires luck and see #5.

-yarro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.