Gunco Forums banner

where to go?

4K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Black Blade 
#1 ·
Most survival plans involve going somewhere else. "The mountains" or "the country" are popular. This is probably because the people most worried about SHTF are in urban areas that are not self-supporting.

Unfortunately, almost everyone seems to plan to go to the same places.

Historically, the prime living areas have been near water. Even a small lake can provide food and fresh water. Rivers do that, and offer easy travel as well. Seaside areas with ample fresh water nearby aren't as common as you'd think, and the best areas already have cities squatting on them, but any place you can safely land a boat at can be a source of food.

#2 ·
I'd be going to my folk's place, in "the country."

Why? Because it's large enough to grow fruits and vegetables, has ample game, is a large farm for domestic animal husbandry, has decent developed shallow well water and is far enough away from "civilization" as to make it unattractive to most yet close enough I could hike there in less than a week.

#3 ·
Always cracks me up when people talk about going to the country like it's some kind of free range free for all. There are not too many places in the USA that are really isolated that are close enough for people to bug out to. If you do buy a bugout place in the country-GET TO KNOW YOUR NEIGHBORS! You must know who you can trust and who you can't. If the ones that are trustworthy don't know you you could still be in trouble, as there could be many strangers roaming through stealing and/or trying to cause harm.

#4 ·
I'm not going anywhere I hope. I live in a very isolated rural setting in the Rocky Mountains so I will likely dig in. I have other places I could fall back to if necessary. Most of my neighbors are preppers and in a similar mindset and many are Mormons so roving gangs of Mormons aren't a serious concern of mine. I'm more of the idea that we will see an economic collapse worse than the Great Depression with oppressive Government controls. My idea of survival is to "Go Galt" and watch the chaos from afar.

#5 ·
most of the bug out plans are pretty borked. the idea is to flee to the countryside. i think this means fee to the deer camp.

the problem is if deer season is any indication that means there be somebody behind every tree. so what is likely is a unsustainable population of city dwellers fleeing to the country only to find the countryside full of idiots like themselves!

for bug out to work your going to have to go way-way out in the wilderness. and there is damn little of that kind of place left. and there will all ways be problems with the natives--

#7 ·
for bug out to work your going to have to go way-way out in the wilderness. and there is damn little of that kind of place left. and there will all ways be problems with the natives--
For those of us natives that live in the country, the main concern is that defending property will become a full time job if too many in urban areas have ideas that aren't well thought out...

to me, bug out is a last resort (when losing your house/property seems imminent for some reason)- those of us with room that is defend-able will possibly have to make judgment calls if we let others in, and who..

and have defense plans for those that don't ask...

#8 ·
Ha, finally someone takes an honest stance on it. Most people will be thinking that exact same way once they don't have central heat/air and no hot water or electricity.

I'm not too tied down by owning property, and the only real possessions I have that I have a ton of money into other than guns, is computers, and they're useless without electricity as well as being pretty useless as survival tools without the internet.
If shit ever happens I'm gonna pack my backpack and go help my [family member] defend his place. He's got enough room to grow a little food, and a well for water.

#13 ·
Yeah, after printing out a 250 page book I decided to stick with the shorter [50 page max] booklets. We got a generator for the well, but I wouldn't waste the energy/space in the car bringing the computer over to it [15 miles on questionable roads] for what little data is there.

#15 ·
Where to go is a personal thing. You can hit the hills or you can hold ur ground. You live in the city, you can only hold till your over run. In the woods you can hide, or you can run when s**t gets to deep and start fresh. You need a destination point, and a secondary destination point. Be prepaired. Watch whats going around you. I would say the best thing you can do is rely on family. Work together to find the destination in advance before it happens. Keep it quiet. Keep ur options on the table. Work together and keep all desicions open. No matter how lame they are they might be the better ones to work with. Keep your options at work. You always need a back up plan for shtf. More great minds together as one work better when they are organized.

#17 ·
Just refilled the toner on my laser printer... Paper's cheap, and toner refill kits are cheap too. The photoconductor drum [I think that's the right part] on my printer isn't part of the toner cart., so I can refill it a lot of times before it wears out.

Still not gonna print out books, lol. Thanks for the tip on the book site though!

#19 ·
The best thing to do is be prepared to "dig in" right where your at. Roadblocks and checkpoints may hinder your bugging out to the hills, and if caught with guns and supplies, you may be shot as a looter. The best thing to do is stay off the streets, if you already live in the country, you just stay put, and be ready to defend yourself. A lot of people prepared for Y2K, and a lot of people prepared when Clinton was in office-for nothing! A lot of people will prepare for Y12. Do you really think the government has the logistics to control 300 million people? Once word gets out, it will be a big free-for-all, a giant New Orleans.
:scared:

#21 ·
I grew up in the country. Don't expect them not to start shooting every unknown person on sight once an incident happens with drifting city folk. If you have a hunting lease, don't expect the owner to want you there living off the land. Having a plan to go somewhere else is fine if you can drive all the way there without getting off the interstate or other main roads and that includes not stopping for fuel. If you don't know your neighbors or they don't like you, don't expect access to your place in the country even if you own it. They will have blocked access to the area, and you won't be wanted.

Nationwide unrest in other countries has shown that governments abandon policing of the country side in favor of controlling population centers. This means that the likely free for all will not take place for very long in the cities, but would likely last longer out in the country. Don't think this fact will be lost on human predators. It would take open hostilities between the government and other parties to stretch that out.

The US government has enough oil in reserve to provide for US needs for 1 month or the US military for well over a year. They have vehicles designed for surviability on a nuclear/biological battlefield that can traverse enivronments that very few civilan offroad vehicles can, drones, thermal imaging and night vision, trillions of rounds of small arms ammunition, air assets that provide great mobility, and enough troops to systematically retake control of every population center in America regard less of how screwed up the infrastruture is. If that is no enough to deal with urban situations then the human race is done because little sh1thole countries can control urban centers with small arms and an untrained unmotivated military.

-yarro

#23 ·
Yarro,

I agree with parts of your statement, but I think you are overblowing the capabilities of the Military. In the 1980's, the Military could do a lot for two or three years. By the end of the 1990's, not so much. Now....maybe three months of combat operations without resupply. Such have been the realities of modern life post cold-war. Vehicle wise, the ones that were nuke-bio-chem rated are all gone. "Modern" Strykers, Bradleys, Hummers... Well, all of those kits stopped being maintained in 2004. I am not even sure that the Stryker kits ever got delivered. Abrams are pretty well wired up tight, and they get re-certified at rebuild. Maybe Brads get the same treatment....Not sure. In terms of an EMP scenario, I am not sure that we ever really had a good plan. The best plan I am aware of incorporated massive numbers of repair kits.....I wonder if those still exist on the shelves. Batteries? Dosimeters? Geiger Counters? Not to mention the much more rare and expensive Chem-Bio stuff.

Sorry, i do very greatly lament the decline in preparedness that I perceive in our country these days.

#22 ·
Where to go?

Hell in a hand basket, that's where.

My buddies and I have a plan, but it is good for 90 days max.

After that, we head out for one of three or four BLM areas......

Until we can find and purchase a suitable refuge site, that will have to do. In the interim, we just hope that anything that does happen will only be on the scale of Katrina.

That is the plan....Hope it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.