Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: where to go?

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default where to go?

Most survival plans involve going somewhere else. "The mountains" or "the country" are popular. This is probably because the people most worried about SHTF are in urban areas that are not self-supporting.

Unfortunately, almost everyone seems to plan to go to the same places.

Historically, the prime living areas have been near water. Even a small lake can provide food and fresh water. Rivers do that, and offer easy travel as well. Seaside areas with ample fresh water nearby aren't as common as you'd think, and the best areas already have cities squatting on them, but any place you can safely land a boat at can be a source of food.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I'd be going to my folk's place, in "the country."

Why? Because it's large enough to grow fruits and vegetables, has ample game, is a large farm for domestic animal husbandry, has decent developed shallow well water and is far enough away from "civilization" as to make it unattractive to most yet close enough I could hike there in less than a week.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Always cracks me up when people talk about going to the country like it's some kind of free range free for all. There are not too many places in the USA that are really isolated that are close enough for people to bug out to. If you do buy a bugout place in the country-GET TO KNOW YOUR NEIGHBORS! You must know who you can trust and who you can't. If the ones that are trustworthy don't know you you could still be in trouble, as there could be many strangers roaming through stealing and/or trying to cause harm.
    I'd rather be a "has been" than a wannabe!

2TIMOTHY2,4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairsof this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

God, Guns and Guts made America free,
    Lets keep all three.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm not going anywhere I hope. I live in a very isolated rural setting in the Rocky Mountains so I will likely dig in. I have other places I could fall back to if necessary. Most of my neighbors are preppers and in a similar mindset and many are Mormons so roving gangs of Mormons aren't a serious concern of mine. I'm more of the idea that we will see an economic collapse worse than the Great Depression with oppressive Government controls. My idea of survival is to "Go Galt" and watch the chaos from afar.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

most of the bug out plans are pretty borked. the idea is to flee to the countryside. i think this means fee to the deer camp.

the problem is if deer season is any indication that means there be somebody behind every tree. so what is likely is a unsustainable population of city dwellers fleeing to the country only to find the countryside full of idiots like themselves!

for bug out to work your going to have to go way-way out in the wilderness. and there is damn little of that kind of place left. and there will all ways be problems with the natives--

Feedback Score

If it gets that bad, who wants to live anyways. Hopefully I get put out of my misery pretty quick. I would just stay at home and defend it as long as I can.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    for bug out to work your going to have to go way-way out in the wilderness. and there is damn little of that kind of place left. and there will all ways be problems with the natives--
    For those of us natives that live in the country, the main concern is that defending property will become a full time job if too many in urban areas have ideas that aren't well thought out...

to me, bug out is a last resort (when losing your house/property seems imminent for some reason)- those of us with room that is defend-able will possibly have to make judgment calls if we let others in, and who..

and have defense plans for those that don't ask...

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 00redZX-6R View Post
    If it gets that bad, who wants to live anyways. Hopefully I get put out of my misery pretty quick. I would just stay at home and defend it as long as I can.
    Ha, finally someone takes an honest stance on it. Most people will be thinking that exact same way once they don't have central heat/air and no hot water or electricity.

I'm not too tied down by owning property, and the only real possessions I have that I have a ton of money into other than guns, is computers, and they're useless without electricity as well as being pretty useless as survival tools without the internet.
    If shit ever happens I'm gonna pack my backpack and go help my [family member] defend his place. He's got enough room to grow a little food, and a well for water.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

We could always go up to Canada.......EH????? Heh......Heh...
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    Ha, finally someone takes an honest stance on it. Most people will be thinking that exact same way once they don't have central heat/air and no hot water or electricity.

I'm not too tied down by owning property, and the only real possessions I have that I have a ton of money into other than guns, is computers, and they're useless without electricity as well as being pretty useless as survival tools without the internet.
    If shit ever happens I'm gonna pack my backpack and go help my [family member] defend his place. He's got enough room to grow a little food, and a well for water.
    If there is electricity (whether it is from the grid, solar, etc) but no internet a computer can still be useful. Just make sure to download what you want now. Put it on an external drive, dvd, etc. That way you can still access it without the internet and if you haven't printed stuff already, you would be able to print what you need even without internet. There are some great sites that have lots of great information that can be saved. Just a thought.

As to whether to bug in or out. Depends on where I'm at. Here in Germany I would more than likely have to bug in (assuming Military didn't want us on base/had a reason for us not to go on base to go back to the states - - or the military for some reason was no more). If I had to bug out, I have some friends that aren't to far that do speak English, or could try to travel further and get to some family members that are still here in Europe that live in a very rural setting. Either way if for some reason vehicles weren't running it would be an interesting hike with my family (young children). For me it is important to always keep the vehicles fueled (i.e. not going below half a tank) and to have some gas in the cans here. There are some like minded individuals that I've met and interact with - the interesting thing would be to see if we could work cohesively as a loosely set up group or if it would be better to just stay separate. setting up watch and being able to catch some sleep is important and that is where extra numbers would come in handy.

On the other hand if the proverbial shit hits the fan and my family and I are in the states. Well that changes things considerably. That is one important reason to have networks set up now and to make sure that those networks are set up with trustworthy family and friends. Bugging in or out would depend on location etc.

just a few thoughts from my brain before my morning cup/pot of coffee.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.