Thread: AK Survival kit

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default AK Survival kit

Here's an idea...

Since many survival plans are based around firepower, why not combine an AK with some basic survival equipment?

I'm thinking "under the couch" or "truck gun" here, with some extra stuff in and on it that might be useful. The idea is "one grab gets all". Obviously you can't carry all that much, but something is better than nothing.

First, some aftermarket pistol grips have storage inside. If you look up "Altoids survival tin" you could fit all that stuff in the grip.

If you hollowed out the buttstock, you could store a lot more stuff - a "space blanket", butane lighter, signal mirror, Leatherman, contact list, and maybe some other small items.

You could wrap the handguard with 550 cord. That's always useful.

A rail-mount flashlight could be detached and used as an ordinary flashlight. Scope could be used as a monocular.

A scope could be used as a monocular.

Use one of those threefer clips to attach a couple of spare mags to the main mag.

A bayonet would make a great camp knife, but you'd have to store the rifle with the bayonet attached, which would be awkward. The spike underfolders are useless, and the knife-type underfolders would require some sort of handle to be useful if you dismounted it. One of those nifty Carcano folding bayonets would be ideal, but you'd have to make up your own mounting hardware.

All this junk would make the rifle heavy and awkward, but there's nothing that says you can't shift most of the equipment to your pockets or a bag. The idea is to have all the stuff in one place, not to make it convenient to carry.

Feedback Score

Kind of like one of the Mossberg 500s in the PVC tube? Comes with all that stuff and its water tight so you can bury it!

Or keep a MOLLE (or some sort of LBE) vest with the rifle. I keep the buttpack I use hunting stocked. K-Bar, lighter, Rifle ammo, couple pistol mags, and some other misc. stuff.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yeah, same basic idea.

I was telling someone about it yesterday, and he made a suggestion - use one of those soft zip-up carry bags to put the rifle in. That way it's not instantly obvious that it's a rifle, plus it gives you more space for "stuff", and finally, you can use the bag to carry other stuff in, which might be useful.

I guess once you put the rifle in a bag or case, it's simpler to just stuff more stuff in and on the bag than to find places for it on the rifle itself. But I still think it's a nifty idea...

Preserving Our Rights FloridaFreedom's Avatar
    Feedback Score

That's an awesome idea, won't be long before we see these in the AK Accessory section of our favorite vendors sites.

Feedback Score

The bag with the AK folder and other stuff in it is a winner.

If the challenge is to get as much as possible into and on the rifle; here's what I think. Start with a triangle stock, make or have made a zippered pouch that occupies the open space in the triangle. Put a first aid kit, waterproof matches, a thin poncho and some powerbars into that pouch. Next, stitch two single mag pouches back to back leaving the top and bottom unstitched. Put the sling through the resulting two mag tube. One in the gun, two on the sling. You could put a knife on the sling or on the outside of the pouch too. That along with some water and a blow up sex doll and you'd be good for a day or two.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

M92 underfolder KINK.

Tapco G2 trigger group.

Use the nice Axis pin retainer plate.

Then, RIP & ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I've been leaning towards my AK U/F as a good truck "grab-n-go" wep also.

Unfortunately it's a m90a and I kinda feel skiddish about having such a nice wep in my truck all the time.

once I trick out my mosin m44 I think it will suffice better and less worry.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I think you could bore out a laminated Romy buttstock, retain reasonable strength, and have lots of room for survival gear, probably enough room
    to conceal a knife of some sort, if not a whole ninja uniform.
    Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Rahatlakhoom View Post
    I think you could bore out a laminated Romy buttstock, retain reasonable strength, and have lots of room for survival gear, probably enough room
    to conceal a knife of some sort, if not a whole ninja uniform.

I've been toying with the idea of making an openable butt plate for my Saiga. It's just hollow plastic.

Anybody have one of the Bulgy '74 brown synthetic stocks that Apex has or had recently? Are they hollow or solid?

Feedback Score

I've got a WASR 10-63 with a folding stock as my car gun. I keep it in a red tennis racquet bag (a double). I keep one loaded mag in a pouch on the buttstock and another 3 mags in one of the outside pockets of the bag. Another outside pocket has a cleaning kit, extra ammo, and my small bug out survival kit (whatever will fit in a Blackhawk! E&E pouch). Inside the bag with the AK is a MOLLE bandoleer-type carrier with an ammo pouch and a holster so I can mount my BUG. If all I can do is grab one bag, this is the one I'll grab. I replaced the regular shoulder strap on the bag with a heavy-duty one and reinforced the attaching points. I can carry this bag around for some time without much comment, and if I have reason to carry the rifle at the ready, the interior of the bag has room for more survival stuff...
    When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout... R.A. Heinlein

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.