Thread: Solar Cooking - Research and Links

Feedback Score

Default Solar Cooking - Research and Links

I have run across a very interesting topic, about a box-type sun cooker, and decided to do some research.

I found some interesting sites about types of cookers, construction, and cooking methods and recipes. The box cooker in the other post I read, sold for about $230. Looks like you could build your own for less than that, or perhaps the same cost, but better construction.

The Solar Cooking Archive :

The Solar Cooking Archive

The Solar Oven
    What I liked about this design was the access door in the back. This one uses sheet metal, but likely could be adapted to high strength cardboard, or masonite panels.

Solar oven

The Devos Cooker - nice tabletop cooker
    I could not locate detailed plans for this, but looks easy enough to extrapolate information, and make your own plans

http://www.solarcooking.org/Devos-co...escription.pdf

Here's a web site that descibes a relativley easy method of making the parabolic reflector form and cutting the reflector sheet :
    Prototypes

Concentrated Parabolic Cooker
    This one, beginning at mid-page and on to end, is based on the Devos Cooker principles, but offers a more simplified method of constructing the reflector

https://confluence-test.cit.cornell....d+Solar+Cooker

Superior Reflective Materials :
    Reference > Reflection > Miro-Sun material
    Alanod Solar - Reflection

The critical point, with the parabolic cookers, is to test for and locate the focal point of the radiation, and position the pot there.
    The box-type cookers seem better for baking, while the parabolic cookers seem better for grilling and frying.

Using a dark-colored pot or skillet is also key...seems the black cast iron or the dark-colored ceramic coated pots and pans are optimum.

With any of these, care needs to be taken with not catching "flashes" to your eyes when in use. This seems to be alleviated by approaching from the backside of the reflector, or using the table top parabolic design. In any event, dark sunglases when cooking are recommended.
    I would imagine oven gloves as well, and taking care with not getting hands in that optimum heat focal point.

Besides offering a method of cooking without need of fuel, it could also be a benefit to provide cooking capability on sunny days and preserving fuel supplies for other times. You can also pasteurize water with these cookers.

** On Pages 12 - 17 of the document at this link, there are detailed plans to build an inexpensive, very portable solar panel cooker.
    I think this setup could be a really great one to get started with :

http://solarcooking.org/plans/Plans.pdf

Regards,

Swampbilly
    Last edited by SwampBilly; 10-10-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.