Gunco Forums banner

Where to get food stores in bulk

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  MUSIBIKE 
#1 ·
Where can I buy food in bulk? Items like rice, beans, canned vegetables, flour, Mre's etc.
Years ago you could get things from the cannery in Newport TN, Tomatoes from Canton, NC, peaches from SC, potatoes from Hendersonville NC, apples from Waynesville NC. Does anybody know if these places are still in business? Trying to build up a food stockpile and I just can't afford the expensive internet stores. I want to be sure I can eat when the economy goes south. Too late. Ok I want to get some food stored before a loaf of bread cost a days wages.

Thanks

#2 ·
you NEED to make your own super pails. it is the only way to go!! #10 cans have become priced rite out if sight.
buckets can be found for free, OR I bought them from U-LINE with lids. metalized bags can be found all over. I got them from USA esentials.
metalized bags can be got from BE-PREPAIRED .com, along with oxygen absorbers. I even nitrogen purged the bags with the oxygen absorbers too. a nitrogen cylinder was cheap to rent.
Metalized bags, oxygen absorbers, nitrogen will keep very dry food for a LONG TIME!!!
plastic buckets will protect the bags and are essential.
now you need the product, HONEYVILL GRAIN is a great place to start looking for quantity at a good price.
I suggest you use bags about 1 - 1, 1/2 gallon in size this way things will not spoil when you open them before you finish them.
we have "bucketed" with friends on a saturday and made it fun, I have also bucketed by myself.
I suggest you get your bucketing supplies togeather, then buy a sack of oatmeal, and a sack of rice. and see how it goes for you.
any questions feel free to ask I will help any way I can.

FOOD IS GOOD QUALITY AND CHEAP rite now, this WILL NOT allways be the case!!!! take advantage of it. their is no limit of choises you can put in thies buckets.
do a sack a week, start with essentials, then move on to nice things too they make life worth living.
I opened a bag of honeyville brown sugar today I bucketed up a couple years ago. still fresh, soft, smells GREAT.
anything freeze dried is great to bucket and will last for decades!!!
we have found fruits, vegies, and meat all freeze dried and bucketed it.
again after you have some life sustaining items, things like hunny, fruit, on and on, make life so much better that just and only rice.

sorry for rambeling , but I have done this for YEARS now.

#3 ·
OK you got me intrested and I went to hunnyville , enough people are bucketing that they now sell buckets and oxygen absorbers too!!!
I tell you a crap load of people are bucketing.
if paper money is worthless that bucket of "old world, safe, good quality" food will look prety dam good!!! ever try eating a twenty..... the ink smells BAD

#8 ·
I get a lot of my supplies from the same place that supplies the local restraunts. The one here is called "Cash and Carry". Ask your local greasy spoon where they get their groceries.

Another great source is the Mormons cannery. They store food as a daily routine. They don't seem to mind sharing their supplies with the rest of us. Get to know one of your local Mormons, great resource.

Costco/Sams club has a lot of stuff too - just make sure you price check.

#10 ·
I get a lot of my supplies from the same place that supplies the local restraunts. The one here is called "Cash and Carry". Ask your local greasy spoon where they get their groceries.

Another great source is the Mormons cannery. They store food as a daily routine. They don't seem to mind sharing their supplies with the rest of us. Get to know one of your local Mormons, great resource.

Costco/Sams club has a lot of stuff too - just make sure you price check.
+1 on having mormon friends. Check out the LDS web site.
Also +1 on costco/sams club

#13 ·
I stumbled across this - Only two days left

DISCOUNT CODE: ROSEBUD

Greetings from Honeyville Farms:

SUMMARY: 10% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER* from Thursday, February 3, 2011 thru Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 6:00PM PST. Simply enter the coupon code ROSEBUD during checkout. Stock up and save on all of your favorites for a limited time.

DISCOUNT CODE: ROSEBUD

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com

LONG VERSION and EGG UPDATE

From Thursday, February 3rd, 2011 thru Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 you'll get 10% off of every item in your cart*. Just order as usual and enter the coupon code ROSEBUD during checkout. The coupon code field is on the second page of the checkout process. Enter the ROSEBUD coupon code, click the APPLY button to the right, and the savings will automatically be calculated.

As many of you know we have been out of stock on our #10 cans of Powdered Whole Eggs and Egg Whites for about 3 months. This has been as a result of working with the USDA on plant and label approval with new stricter requirements with respect to eggs. We've endured numerous delays and setbacks throughout the process. About a week ago we had received approval to begin Production. We did so and even had product on UPS trailers ready to be picked up. We got a call from the USDA stating that they had put us through the wrong process and we would have to start over again. We had to pull all of the outbound orders and go back into a holding pattern. At this point we are moving through the process but have no idea when we'll be back in business with the canned eggs. It is a frustrating situation with one of our best sellers and we apologize for the delay. Just as soon as we have product ready to ship we will send out an email to all of our great Honeyville Customers. We appreciate your patience.

Visit us at http://store.honeyvillegrain.com.

ACT NOW as this discount will end promptly on Tuesday February 8th at 6:00PM PST. If you have any questions, concerns, or just want to place an order over the phone call us, toll-free, at (888) 810-3212. We're happy to help.

Thanks for your business.

Regards,
Chris Ondatje
Director of E-Commerce
Honeyville Food Products, Inc.
chriso@honeyvillegrain.com
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com
Toll-Free: (888) 810-3212

*10% off discount does not apply to our already low flat-rate shipping fee of $4.49. Discount valid for INTERNET ORDERS ONLY placed from Thursday, February 3rd, 2011 thru Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 at 6:00PM PST. For assistance call (888) 810-3212.

#14 ·
Terror threats rising as FEMA orders $1 Billion in dehydrated food

• February 24th, 2011 1:22 pm ET
Terror threats appear to be on the rise as FEMA has rushed a $1 Billion order of dehydrated food in the event of attacks on domestic targets in the US.

This is also coming on the heels of one of the largest terror drills performed by the US Navy on American soil, as Operation Solid Curtain is taking place this week.

In an article Tuesday from the Beaufort Observer, many of the largest suppliers of dehydrated foods in the country are dropping their distributors and customers to dedicate their resources to supplying a billion dollar FEMA request and purchase.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Terror threats rising as FEMA orders $1 Billion in dehydrated food - National Finance Examiner | Examiner.com Terror threats rising as FEMA orders $1 Billion in dehydrated food - National Finance Examiner | Examiner.com

Black Blade: Fortunately I have a few years worth of freeze-dried nonperishable Mountain House food stored away as a part of my "insurance" strategy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.