Gunco Forums banner

How do you hide your BOV?

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  TRX 
#1 ·

The Cardok garage is an interesting parking solution that is starting to be seen around more affluent London locales. The owner’s car is raised and lowered by means of a hydraulic lift. At present there are eight in action around London, four under construction and another ten that have been ordered, which is no small feat as the price for the single model is $61,181 and if you want an over and under double it will be $72,816.

http://weinterrupt.com/2009/03/pop-up-garage-stows-your-car-safely-underground/

Black Blade: An expensiveway to maximize your space but could be worth it under the right circumstances.

See less See more
#6 ·
Be a good ideal for a trailer loaded with bug out supplies. Seen a similiar system for garages but didn't have a concrete pad on top, but it cost a whole lot less.

#7 ·
I don't know why more people don't see the sense in a bug out trailer. 100% of the space can be dedicated to supplies, ready to go at all times (can you do this with your BOV?) Keep certain essentials handy to load into your BOV. Heavy supplies can be towed by a 4x4 vehicle that can otherwise be doing double duty as a regular non-BOV. How many of really can really keep a vehicle like a Suburban set aside as a BOV? And if you use your BOV as a daily vehicle it's not ready to go, is it? How much water, MREs, fuel, shelter, arms, medical supplies, other survival needs do you have packed and ready to go in 10-15 minutes? How about a $500 military surplus BOT with 1500# and 150 cubic foot capacities sound? How much comfort/safety/mobilty does an RV have compared to an expedition tent and good backpacks and sleeping bags if the roads are fubar or you are out of fuel? Personally I'd rather have an old Jeep or Suburban and a ready to go bug out trailer with camping/survival supplies, sturdy wheels/tires and a Pintle hook hitch than an RV any day...and see you later alligator.

#9 ·
Had an old Jeep truck for a BOV/ recreation vehicle, but it was hard on gas. It got so I hardly ever drove it and didn't see the need for tag/tax and insurance cost so I got rid of it. Besides when one sits most of the time you end up working on it to use it every time.
I drive a Jeep Wrangler daily and when my son started Cub Scouts I wanted a way to have gear ready for campouts. So I got a small trailer that I could keep loaded with most of the stuff and not take up to much space in the garage. Now I want to get one big enough to keep gear for five on.

#8 ·
Lets hope he has a back up generator or he will be up creek with out a paddle. It would be a heck of a job with a hand crank if you had a two for.

#12 · (Edited)
Those are pretty good trailers, but size will mean fullsize 4wd to pull. Very heavy duty with a cargo bed already on it, and if they have the bows/canvas still with it is a big plus.
Heck with the bows and canvas you wouldn't need a tent. Military stuff is as close to indestructable as posssible.

#13 ·
Reply to "where? (to get a $500 BOT)

Keeping in mind BOT wasn't a typo...Bug Out Trailer...to be pulled by your BOV...I would look on ebay or some other online source for a 3/4 ton trailer. This of course is strictly a cargo trailer, not a "camper".
Here is a 1 1/2 tontrailer with Pintle hitch and cover for $595.00
1 1/2 Ton Trailers [212301] - $595.00 :: Colemans Military Surplus LLC - Your one-stop surplus store with Army/Navy products for hunting gear, camping gear, emergency products, and survival products

#17 ·
lift: it's just a fancier variant of the "parking lift", used by people who live in urban areas or inflicted with HOA parking rules.

trailer: I *like* that idea. And as a further variant, you could look at the "camping trailer" designs from the 1940s and 1950s. These were designed to track in the same width as the car, so they wouldn't hunt when going down rutted dirt roads to camp sites, and they were no taller than the trunk lid, so as not to obstruct rearward view. Most cars didn't have side mirrors then. They had slide-outs for cooking arrangements, and you either crawled inside to sleep or stored a tent inside.

Nowadays those trailers are basically nonexistent, replaced by the Coleman and Apache "pop-up" designs. They're a lot more convenient, but heavier than the old type and without as much storage.

I'd never thought of a trailer for a BOV, but it makes a heck of a lot of sense. And cheaper, too.

I couldn't find a picture of the kind of trailer I'm talking about, but the "teardrop" was a larger variant. The basic difference was that a teardrop was taller, with room to sit up inside, while the old style required you to crawl in; it assumed you were primarily going to sleep in a separate tent which it carried inside.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.