Thread: Need a project to make with the kids?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Need a project to make with the kids?

I had afew hours to kill this mourning. This is a very worthwhile project to put together. It produces quite a bit of heat with comparably low fuel demand. Quite impressive actually. Mine produced more smoke, I didn't seal it up because the only thing I had around here was pea gravel. I'll replace the pea gravel w/ cobb or vermiculite, seal it up and it should be good to go.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have one in the beginning stages being made out of a 20lb propane bottle. I also plan on making a heater attachment to stand on top of it to capture more heat before it vents out of a shelter or what have you. Sort of like the rocket mass heater thing I linked in that other thread about rocket stoves. Mine will be something like this one:
    TIG WELDED Stainless Rocket Stove Home-Camp & Emergency - eBay (item 330431124275 end time Jan-31-11 20:28:08 PST)
    but with a few differences.
    member # 575

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Simple, creative, innovative, cool.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

A propane tank would be a good size to use. Big enough to produce alot of heat but portable enough to move around. Could you circulate water though it w/ copper pipe?
    I found it interesting that even after the fire burned for over an hour in the coffee can stove, I could still pick it up without burning my hands.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I didn't seal it up because the only thing I had around here was pea gravel. I'll replace the pea gravel w/ cobb or vermiculite, seal it up and it should be good to go
    For your practice one, you can just use dirt, just mix it with some water and pack the mud in there. If you have a fireplace or wood stove just use ashes.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I've got a propane tank just begging to have something done with it. Gonna give this a try.
    Thanks,
    J.C.

"American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration"

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.