Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anybody try swamp cabbage..

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Question Anybody try swamp cabbage..

Swamp Cabbage - the ultimate camp food for Southern States. - Writer's Corner: Recipes - Epinions.com

Essentially called "Hearts of Palm." Comes from our sabal palm trees down here in the south east. You can buy it canned, but not as good as the fresh cut.
    Advantages of living down here in the swamps . We have a whole vegetable garden here and all kinds of critters too eat if you get lost.
    Disadvantage is some of the critters can eat you if you aint careful.
    Meat and fish, in a survival mode is good. But probably a good idea too learn what nutritious veggies are in your a.o..
    Their out there, if you know which ones too eat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody try swamp cabbage..-palm.-001.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I don't think I've had that yet but it's hard to say. When ever we visit the in-laws family in N and S Carolina all types of things end up on the table.
    I took a liking to those little orange Palmetto fruits. Sorta like a date or a fig. (?)
    Swarms of bees all around them but if you don't make a commotion while your robbing them, they won't sting you.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Had it once, long ago. There used to be a restaurant in Spearfish, SD called "The Sluice." They had the usual chicken and beef entrees, but also numerous "seasonal" exotic foods and for a price would arrange to obtain almost any entree requested by a customer. IIRC, one particular meal I ordered included ostrich and what they called palm heart. I remember the ostrich being a bit dry but can't remember the taste of the palm heart.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Haven't had it, but first heard it mentioned in the post-Apocalypse novel Alas, Babylon, which was set in central Florida. Great book, and it covered in detail how the survivors made use of the natural resources.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Very nutritious and grows down in the south east like a weed. Kind of on the expensive side in the restaurants down here.
    Every local event down here has pots of swamp cabbage cooking.
    Called swamp cabbage, but tastes nothing like the standard cabbage plant.
    I will try too do a picture series on how too cut and prepare it.
    One average size plant can provide a family of four, all the veggiies they need for a week.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

We used to go to a swamp cabbage festival at Labelle near Ft. Myers. I preffer beer & funnel cakes over the swamp cabbage.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I love hearts of palm, cold in a salad, excellent texture and flavor. I live in Florida, but have always bought it in the store, never harvested any in the wild. It would be great if you could post the pics of the cut and prep work, look forward to seeing that!
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Hearts of palm! Good stuff, wondered where it came from.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    Hearts of palm! Good stuff, wondered where it came from.
    When Christians celebrate Palm Sunday.. The plants, soon too become Sabal Palms, is where you get your palms from.
    Big money for the locals here too make harvesting it. The palms grow back and it does not harm the tree in any way.
    Harvesting has begun. $10 permit from the Forestry Service gets you an a.o. too cut.
    Stick Wood. Those fake trees you see in offices. Comes from down here.
    Dragon wood, scrub oak.. Harvested and shipped too companies too make the fake, real potted plants..
    Sorry too get off track on your post BB.. I am coming too your house when the SHTF.. Dont shoot.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

What's next to harvest? palmetto berries??? Heh.....Heh
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.