Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fire piston up and running.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    Would it work with cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly? That would be a good available fuel in current society, and a good stable fuel you could pack into 20oz soda bottles to store for ATSHTF, and it would lube the o-ring to keep it from wearing out too quick.
    Might want to try. Remember - this is essentially the principle of diesel engines, and they ignite kerosene, so it might work. On the other hand, it might take a lot more compression to get the heat concentrated enough to light vaseline. Also, the vaseline will burn, where the charcloth will smolder. The difference is how much and how fast the oxygen in the chamber gets used up - and thus whether you'd be able to get the burning cotton ball out before it smothered due to lack of oxygen.
    Q - What is Bambi?

A - Viable Target

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sniper69 View Post
    Wildwood Survival - Fire - Fire Piston
    Fire Pistons
    and
    The Firepiston
    these sites have some more info, pics, etc about firepistons (the last one is more in depth).
    Hope these help explain how it works.

Thanks Sniper.

I hate it when I am completely stumped!
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A possible problem I see with using Vaseline or other "fuel" is this is essentially just a small diesel engine, if the fuel ignites like it does in a full size diesel the pressure produced could be substantial. The piston could be ejected with great force.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    A possible problem I see with using Vaseline or other "fuel" is this is essentially just a small diesel engine, if the fuel ignites like it does in a full size diesel the pressure produced could be substantial. The piston could be ejected with great force.
    I agree, there was an article in either the American Rifleman or Guns magazine many years ago that showed bb guns that used the compressed air type piston that had exploded from using petroleum based lubricants. Vaseline was one of the lubricants mentioned as I recall. While the fire piston will probably not match the compression of the piston in an air rifle, I would be very careful and procede with great caution. From what I have read 'chaga" which is a type of fungus that grows on trees in the north east is the best combustable to use as it will produce an amber that will burn for a long time.
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score

Oh, didn't think of that. haha Good thing ya'll brought it up before someone ended up with an aluminum rod stuck through their palm!

ETA: And I was about to suggest adding an oxidizer to deal with the running out of oxygen thing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.