Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fire piston up and running.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Fire piston up and running.

I made a slightly nicer version of my prototype fire piston at work last night. It doesn't work as miraculously as the ones you can watch on youtube but it works. I would consider it more of a toy than a "forever fire starter" because it relies on an O ring and a way/materials to make char cloth. As evidenced by it early usage you could make a packing out of a lot of things and a lot of different material could be turned into char material. Me? I have enough ferrocerium rods to last me until long after I'm dust. It was still a fun project and I may try a few different versions I have swimming around in my grey matter. Definitely baffles the thought challenged people who see it in action though, it's worth it to make one just to see peoples reactions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire piston up and running.-fire-piston-032.jpg  

Fire piston up and running.-fire-piston-033.jpg  

Fire piston up and running.-fire-piston-036.jpg  

member # 575

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Thanks for all the pics. Is that a rubber o-ring? Is it so tight that it needed lube? I'm trying to get an idea of how tight it needs to fit.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It's a pretty tight fit, but it tears up the O ring without lube. I tried with oil, shortening and chapstick with good results. I need to polish the bore up a bit I think, for optimum performance.
    member # 575

Feedback Score

How about a little KY...
    Do it before it is too late!
    Proud member of the NRA,GOA and JPFO!!!
    And now GOCRA in MN!!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wrench1957 View Post
    How about a little KY...
    So, you're implying I should grease up my rod with KY before I jam it in? My wife has been non stop with the "so, you have get your rod all greased up first" since I started yapping about this project. I love her but she's challenged. No offense implied to anyone who has a loved one who is challenged or retarted. Gotta make sure I'm PC or the guy from survivalistboards.com who can make 500 yard shots with just iron sights will come for me.
    Oh spare me etrnldrk!!!!
    member # 575

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Wow,

I thought I was one of the smart guys.....

Can anybody give me a "Readers Digest Condensed" version of what this is and what it does????

Please?!?

Thanks!
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    Wow,

I thought I was one of the smart guys.....

Can anybody give me a "Readers Digest Condensed" version of what this is and what it does????

Please?!?

Thanks!
    bellson - here is the super condensed version.
    It is a fire piston. A small piece of char cloth or punk is put into the small opening on the end of the rod. The rod is put into the bigger piece with the hole (barely put in) and holding the big piece in one hand and the small rod knob in the other hand give a quick push down on the small rod. The quick push will cause a form of friction and compression (think car engine) and the char cloth or punk will start to smolder. It can then be used with some fine tinder to be made into a large fire, or some will light their cigarette with it to "amaze" people.

This is the super condensed version that skims over it. They are a neat device. I have two fire pistons here. The one made from Coco Bolo is the pretty one.

ashhoe - nice work, and thanks for sharing the pics.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Wildwood Survival - Fire - Fire Piston
    http://www.survivalschool.com/produc...re_Pistons.htm
    and
    http://www.onagocag.com/piston.html
    these sites have some more info, pics, etc about firepistons (the last one is more in depth).
    Hope these help explain how it works.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

From what I read , our American wood species are not dense enough to hold the compression. Hence the coco bolo and other exotic woods, anlter, and aluminum in this case. I'll be using aluminum, maybe incase it in wood or antler for a more traditional look.
    Charcloth can easily be made in a Sucrets or Altoids can on the bbq grill.

Feedback Score

Would it work with cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly? That would be a good available fuel in current society, and a good stable fuel you could pack into 20oz soda bottles to store for ATSHTF, and it would lube the o-ring to keep it from wearing out too quick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.