Thread: Mylar bags for food storage

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Default Mylar bags for food storage

Anyone used the new mylar bags with the zip closure. Most my bags don't have this and I seal them with a food saver, this is very hard to do.

So I'm wondering if anyone has used these new mylar bags with the zip closure and how are they for long term storage. As long as youhave the right O2 absorbor and they close tightly I would think they could work as well as others that are heat sealed.
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I know the balloons last forever!

Haven't seen the bags but I'll look them up.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Where do you get these?
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

besides using the vacuum sealer (foodsaver) to seal the mylar, couldn't you also use a curling iron or clothes iron (set on the wool setting)? Doing a quick google search for - - using an iron to seal mylar - - brings up some videos and sites that talk about this.

As for the zipper top mylar bags, Hopefully they'll stay more secure than the zipper tops that are found on plastic sandwich/freezer bags. If using them with O2 absorbers and plastic buckets, maybe they would hold up ok?
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score

I like the Gamma lid's & food quality pails for storage my self. I don't trust zip lock bags except for freezer bags myself. This is where I got mine cheap-http://www.freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/gammaseals.html
    Last edited by Frogman; 01-19-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and goverment, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

I would seal them with heat past the ziplock and use the ziplock after opening the product. I don't trust the ziplocks longterm.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunco View Post
    look interesting. They would be easier to seal - I'm just curious how the zipper part holds up long term, and if it stays airtight.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper69 View Post
    look interesting. They would be easier to seal - I'm just curious how the zipper part holds up long term, and if it stays airtight.
    From doing some searching via google and other forums - it looks like, for best results, to heat seal above the zipper area then use the zipper as a closure for short term storage. I read some other stuff via google that said they work fine without heat seal. I guess the best way to find out is to try a couple each way and check them every so often....

Feedback Score

Mylar refects almost all light, including infrared. Should really stand out in a night scope.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.