Thread: Swamp cabbage survival in the swamps.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post Swamp cabbage survival in the swamps.

HS571/MV038: Cabbage, Swamp ? Sabal palmetto (Walt.) Lodd ex Schult. & Schult.f.

No reason too go hungry, if your lost in our swamps. Figured I would start a new post and post pictures of how too harvest the cabbage.
    Be careful. Yes we did find a snake while cutting. Non poisonous. But as mentioned. Snakes like too hang in the plants. Also a lot of grubs, so their is food if your hungry. Look before you reach or cut.
    Hearts of palm, swamp cabbage. For Christians, during Palm Sunday when you get the palm leaf. Here it be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swamp cabbage survival in the swamps.-cabbage-001.jpg  

Swamp cabbage survival in the swamps.-cabbage-004.jpg  

Swamp cabbage survival in the swamps.-cabbage-005.jpg  

Swamp cabbage survival in the swamps.-cabbage-007.jpg  

Swamp cabbage survival in the swamps.-cabbage-008.jpg  

Swamp cabbage survival in the swamps.-cabbage-010.jpg  

"Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post Pictures top too bottom..

Good sized tree with plenty of nutritious veggies, for a family of 3 or 4 too survive.
    Top too bottom.. We cut the palms off with a machete. Then took an axe too cut low on the palm.
    Palm is ready too start peeling back. Use a knife and carefully cut the palms as shown. One at a time rolling palm in circular motion after each slice.
    When the palms start coming off without cutting, stop. You are reaching the heart.
    My swamp guide Jethro, showed me too put the plant on the palm leaves you cut. This so your food is not in the dirt.
    Now more picts.. The hard work is done.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post More picts.

Close too done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swamp cabbage survival in the swamps.-cabbage-014.jpg  

Swamp cabbage survival in the swamps.-cabbage-013.jpg  

Swamp cabbage survival in the swamps.-cabbage-017.jpg  

Swamp cabbage survival in the swamps.-cabbage-019.jpg  

Swamp cabbage survival in the swamps.-cabbage-020.jpg  

Swamp cabbage survival in the swamps.-cabbage-021.jpg  

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Vertical cuts now, then easy easy cross cuts. Getting too the heart.
    Bottom pict. is of the heart. That is what we are after. More picts. and info too follow. I have too take a break.
    Please please. Do not stick your hands in these palms, unless you can see what you are reaching for. Rattle snakes love too crawl in these palms. But hell, their good eating survival food also.
    Please ask any questions and I will continue in a bit here. 4th.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Wonder if these grow on the west coast of Florida, ie Bradenton, Sarasota, Venice, Punta Gorda.. All palm trees look alike to me being a yankee before moving here. Is this only 1 type of palm that is edible
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I am pretty sure all of Florida. Probably up into Georgia and possibly Louisiana.
    Only palm I know of too eat like that.
    Dont feel bad. I cant tell an apple tree from an orange tree.
    These are easy too spot. They look like a pineapple with palms when small.
    Most of the survival shows concentrate on direction, water, keeping warm and dry, meats, reptiles, fish, etc..
    I would guess they tend too stay away from edible plants, due too legal issues.
    Eating the wrong plant will kill someone quick, or slow.
    They had a documentary on the famous "Donner party" disaster. A survivalist went too the site and showed what was there for the people too eat, if they only knew how and what. They could have survived the winter.
    If anyone has a plant or edible growing product in their A.O. feel free too post away. If it is o.k with the mods?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swamp cabbage survival in the swamps.-cabbage-026.jpg  

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Excellent tutorial 4th. Too bad there's no palm trees in KY or I'd give it a try.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Thank you Bro..

Quote Originally Posted by 555th View Post
    Excellent tutorial 4th. Too bad there's no palm trees in KY or I'd give it a try.
    I will bring you guys up some swamp cabbage. Hope others post survival food in their A.O.. 4th.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

haha, that sounds good, you should cook the snakes wit cabbage , make it a " Redneck Swamp Soup " yum yum

卡拉希尼可夫突擊步槍

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.