Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lessons from Japan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I dug through my First Aid Kit and found my Potassium Iodide

In a radiation emergency it is good to keep some Potassium Iodide on hand to protect against thyroid cancer from radiation. It won't protect against much else except perhaps some toxic heavy metal contamination but you never can tell when a potential radiation threat materializes. I keep two vials of Potassium Iodide solution with eye droppers (~20 mg/drop). To block thyroid gland to prevent uptake of radioactive iodine contaminating food and water, take 4 drops of a saturated solution daily. (Fill a brown dropper bottle about 60% full with crystals, then add water until bottle is 90% full. Shake. Check to be sure that some crystals remain out of solution. See Nuclear War Survival Skills p. 114.)
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    From what I've read some Americans living in urban areas do the same. I always thought it was a sizzling waste of time. When I was growing up, my parents bought groceries once a month, pretty much filling up a 1970 Chevrolet Impala. Going to the commissary at the base and putting all the stuff away in the cabinets and the freezer out in the garage was an all-day affair.

I don't stretch things that far, but if I have to go grocery shopping more than once a week it's too often. I hate going to the store.
    I buy groceries once a week, but thats because i'm stocking up. I could probably stop buying any food tomorrow and eat "normally" (no rationing) for a good solid 6-8 months.

I know people who buy 1-3 days worth of food and thats all they have on hand at any one time. At one time, i was the same way. After seeing the world for what it is and how quickly everything can go to hell, i've started seeing things much differently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.