Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SHTF or EOTWAWKI

Feedback Score

I don't disagree that things are different this time. I do believe the mindset of most people is centered on themselves and their immediate family to the point of excluding helping anyone else. My parents were kids, and then adults, during the Great Depression and they said over and over how neighbors helped neighbors if you had extra tomatoes you shared with your neighbor who might be a mechanic who then paid you back by keeping your car running, and so on. Barter, trade, or flat out helping people simply because you can. I see that happening in small close knit ural communities, not so much, or at all, in the inner city.

My wife and I are working all the time to become more and more self reliant. From growing more of our own food, stockpiling food, medical supplies, hygiene supplies, tools and supplies to keep things running around the property, and guns and ammunition for both hunting and self defense. My network of who knows exactly what I am doing is VERY small and they have been made BRUTALLY aware of the consequences of breaking security and blabbing.

I do intend to work with my neighbors as much as I can to ensure our mutual survival. But I will not divulge what I have, and have done, to prepare myself for any scenario from natural disasters, to terrorist attacks, to economic and/or societal collapse.

I guess my main point was simply wondering how many people in the course of prepping are living each day waiting for the shoe to drop. I don't, I feel my prepping allows me to be ready without having to be at defcon 5 all the time. Situational awareness and being able to move quickly to protect yourself are my key elements to my plan.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here's my take on it - I for one have "bought in" to several end-of-world chicken littles and none of them panned out. SHTF? Sure. Localized, as you have observed, is the typical issue. National? Too many movies have said this could happen. Look at Egypt *right now*... National unrest? Yes. National "chaos" like Mad Max chaos? No. Bosnian War, 1995. War! Everyone in their little gopher hole killing each other for food? No. Things that would concern me would be a polarized demographic such as gang wars in African nations. That would be a concern to me, as the entire "other side" would be more bent on systematic killings. Which by the way is why we went to Bosnia to begin with. Institutionalized killings of "the other side".

You simply can't paint the entire nation with one "it is going to happen" paint brush and apply the exact same conditions. You can't. Look at it from a "market analysis" point of view. You must analyze any "target market" to see how the demographics apply. In my neck of the woods, I'm happy to say they apply pretty well. Perhaps not a "you loot we shoot" mindset, but certainly above the line of animalistic behavior. Also the "help each other" mindset... the dude with the house generator has offered to let us power our deep freezer if something happens. He knows I have handyman tools and asks from time to time. The situation has already happened... hurricane Isabell directly hit this area in 2003 and no chaotic pandemonium from the ghetto hordes that set out searching for loot. Simply did not happen here, and mind you there is a large population of "poor" in this greater metropolitan area. Basically those people who rely completely on Wal-Mart and the grocery store for their sustenance. And would have no idea how to even start fishing, hunting, or gardening for their food. So... power and water out for 3 weeks. Worst case issue was long lines waiting for gas, etc. while everyone cleaned up the trees from the roads and their houses. If there were ghetto loot mobs, they stayed in the ghetto and no one heard from them.

Crime happens everywhere. That's just a fact of life. PROPER preparation is warranted. You simply aren't going to see blood-crazed droves of zombies coming to eat your brain. It isn't going to happen.

I guess my point is SHTF scenarios are simply incomparible to "end of world" situations. If and when another disaster strikes this area, I am certainly prepared in all areas. Gas, food, ammo, communications (everyone knows what to do) and preparation for "unexpected" things like water (I have my emergency barrel!) and things like chain saws, extra chain saw oil, rechargable batteries, a way to charge them without utility power, news services, yadda yadda yadda. Enough stuff to last a month before things get back to normal. In your area, you may be more prone to experiencing looting, blood-crazed mobs, etc. and then you must plan accordingly. "Bug out" to a safe area is IMO a good idea for that situation. I would probably jump in my sailboat and sail down the coast to a more hospitable area if I were located in that type of area. Here, I'm much better off just "bugging in".

If the world situation somehow degenerates into a nuclear or non-nuclear war and we are shooting at other countries, then that is the only "end of world" situation I cannot help. I can't live in a nuclear silo with my beef jerky for the next 20 years. What other kind of situation would be so detrimental to EVERY HUMAN BEING in the area that you would have to live in a hole? Terminator: Judgement Day? Zombies? Seriously? Unless the aforementioned polarization of "us" vs. "them" comes to fruition then I would not sweat it. And frankly what kind of situation would cause that? Religious zealots from the "other side" organizing and running around KKK-style looking to string up the competition? Umm... what else? Food riots where people are starving to death and looking for food? I simply can't imagine a situation where the ENTIRE NATION would be that bad. If and when that happens, you better be close to a good long-term food source such as near the coast where you can fish, or away from cities where the (deer) meat population is more populous. If we ever do have another Great Depression then you had better hone your gardening skills so you can convert your lawn to a huge garden. Yeah sure I've heard the phrase "we are only 3 weeks away from mass riots" talking about metropolitan reliance on The Supply Chain to receive sundries at their local grocer. But even during the "gas shortage" of the '70s I don't recall ever dealing with situations of no food.

My mindset is to just live life and be happy I have a "spare tire" plan for the odd times you may have a "blowout". If and when that happens, then I will don my best Grizzly Adams imitation and work and live off of the land. Again, PROPER preparation is warranted.

(EDIT - sorry for being so chatty, I think I had too much coffee this morning )
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    You simply aren't going to see blood-crazed droves of zombies coming to eat your brain. It isn't going to happen.
    Wait, What?! Aww man, now I'm disappointed.

Feedback Score

First off you canít trust the government now matter what is or isnít going on. Second the govít will disarm law abiding citizens with the military. In MA they now have the right to do that. Remember during Katrina they did it unlawfully but they still did it. They donít care about the constitution or what is right. Do I think you have the God given right to do what is right and protect your family and all innocents YES! But there is a cost that you have to weigh out. If you resist they will kill you and if you make it out alive you will spend the rest of your life behind bars. Or you could leave the country but where are you going to run to? This is the last bastion of freedom. Maybe you could go to Canada or Mexico. NOT!

Look at history when a national dictator arose and the damage they have inflicted on humanity. The Romans, Greeks, Mongols and whoever else. If there should be a global dictator arise with the blessings of all itís even worse. Just look at the current global situation nations are no longer existing in the traditional sense of the word. They are being destroyed by foreign culture over run. They are losing their national identity. Look at Europe and the Islamic uprising or the illegal alien problem that exists here. Our govít is sponsoring it. Can you tell me what is an American or what are American values?

I do not know what the future will bring but with globalization, computers and technology the ability for an individual or group to reek havoc on mankind is staggering. Iím looking toward eternity for my final hope. Thanks for listening.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

putting our differances aside.

think about this. if you were in LA when the riots broke out it would not seem like a isolated incident and dont forget thet there was incidents if violence nation wide when that happened. while LA was the main part of it there was ther stuff going on else were at the same time. it could have gotten a lot worse. I lived near there back then and it was a real thing that was scary. Katrina had the LEO,s taking guns and stealing what ever they felt they needed it was a complete breakdown of society. it could have been much worse.

I cant hink of to many civilization in the history of man were things havent broke down and things got ugly. there have been revolutions in nearly every part of the world at one time or another.

IMO The US is very devided and thing are not getting any better . the price of gas and the issues with banks and money has really turned things since 911 or possably earlier. If thinks get to bad people will rebel and take a stand or lash out. imagine if we do get a serious terrorist attack that does knock out power and communications what will happen? there will be no police , fire, emergancy medical. you stated that back in the depression that every one helpled every one some od that more than half of is true but there were also towns that banded togeter and refused trains from unloading homeless as well as not alowing cars to stop. there was pleanty of helping your neighbor but also a lot of screw the other guy. now fast forwrd to today we no longer have the family values we once had. more than half the kids today are from broken homes. there is a huge amount of differation between race as well as social status. we have not been through a war were if we lost we would be invaded recently and people today simply wont know how to rough it. most people cant even cook a whole chicken. If and when spome thing lets go there will be a huge power stuggle between those who have and those who dont. I dont think we have that sence of community or family any more. Not to start a argument but there are to many people who have to rely on the goverment and i dont think they will be up for the task if it gets really bad. I think police and fire will be swamped and rendered useless compared to the big picture. Imagine 911 but on a much much larger scale? there were 4 planes that day imagine if they had 50 or 100. or somehting like a gas attack or bio. we simply cant expect the goverment to be there for all of it.

simply look at what happend in WWII only a eye blink in time and think what is really stoping it from happening again. Hitler and his antics accounted for around 15-20 milion lives ( guessing) if you factor in looses on both sides. we all know people who lived throug that. I love this country but i dont think its that special that it can be exempt from what has happend in every other civilazation. some day there will not be a USA it will be something else.

I dont expect to kill people to survive or have zombies come after me. but i would not be shocked to see 8 million Chinegroup try to take what we have or some other country. There is also things like the Plauge that wiped out 2/3 of Europe ( guessing on the numbers again) there was wide spread panic then as well. it would be worse today with all the comunications we have today news would travel faster. Take the Japaneese situation that happened recently they had no clue it was coming. some thing like that here and all hell would break loose. We wont know wht it is untill it happens.

Being a little prepared with the basics cant hurt. having food youwill eat any way and water is a no brainer. having a defense stratige is a tough call. Persoanly I would rather hunker down and stay put but need to have a exit plan. I am not a u nut about this but I do have a bug out bag with basics and it is armed. my kid and every oner else in the house has a bag that can be tossed in the car or what ever in a heart beat. my bag stayes in the trunk in the winter. If there is ever a fire or tornado in 2 seconds time every one here can at least have a change of clothes, perscriptions, some food, light, radio battteries, cash. its not much more than a earthquake prepareidness bag. since I have Guns I will take a few but if you dont at least have a bag of stuff ready to go. A lot of my stuff is the same stuff I use for hunting. If i woke up to smoke detectors and had to leave through a window I am ready for that at least. if its a war out side then i will protect my self and family but onlyu if there is no were to exit to.

just having a full tank of gas and a extra can of it, is a good start on most people.

Feedback Score

1biggun,

Where I live is a small rural community of roughly 700 people. The truth is this, even when the terrorist attacks of 9/11/2001 occurred, other than the initial panic buying of gasoline, and a few days of shock, our world did not change much at all. Today life has become what it was before 9/11. Other than the inconvenience of the extra security at the airport I would bet most people would say their lives are the same as before. That is where the trouble lies, we are a country of VERY, VERY, short memories. The quicker life returns to normal the quicker we forget, or push to the back of our memory, the horrific event.

That is why you see people who wander through life and don't prepare for a damn thing ever. Because they don't remember the last event and don;t believe the next one will happen to them. Then there are the hardcore preppers where it consumes them. They have years and years of food and other supplies stoockpiled, enough guns and ammunition to supply the 81st Airborne, and multiple bug out locations. They live it every second of every day of their lives. Then there are people like me. I prep. I have food, medical supplies, hygiene supplies, guns and ammunition on hand. But my personal thoughts revolve around regional events or a a personal tragedy (like when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and we used some of our prep supplies to get through her treatments when money was low because of the loss of her income. We prep but we dont live it like the hardcoe preppers do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.