Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Best SHTF Gun

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

this is why i use a AK57 uzi radar laser triple-barrel double-scoped heat-seeking shotgun.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Talking

Good one Black Blade. Thank God I still have my bow and arrow.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

I am my favorite American gunnerxxx's Avatar
    Feedback Score

GREAT POST I enjoyed it very much
    I like my various rifles and shotguns, BUT I will use my commercial rifle to pick em of at a safer distance. I dont want to start firing a hail of bullets from my AK to only get shot by the bad guys doing the same. One Shot One Kill! is my philosophy.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

One interesting characteristic of AK fans is that they tend not to get too caught up in rifle and caliber wars. They'll go off into a True Believer tirade, then go off denigrating the AK, and the AK guys will just snigger and wander off...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    One interesting characteristic of AK fans is that they tend not to get too caught up in rifle and caliber wars. They'll go off into a True Believer tirade, then go off denigrating the AK, and the AK guys will just snigger and wander off...
    Well when you're enlightend enough to put your trust in the best infantry rifle yet designed, you don't bother yourself with such trivial non-sense.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

way way back in my younger days my outfit had attached to it some of the more "merc" types.

they preferred the FN-FAL above all else. AK's and armilites be damned! only the "pu$$ys" carried them!

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Back in the late '80s I ran a BBS. Someone organized some sysop meetings at a local steak house, where we got thrown out for rowdy behavior. Eventually it came out that most of us were gunheads as well as computer geeks, and we all got together for a shooting expedition. One guy - Dave - had a full-auto M-16 and a full-auto AK-47. I know he had an FAL, but I don't remember him bringing it that time. I had my MAC-11, and everyone else brought what they had.

My '55 Chevy had the biggest trunk, and sagged badly under the weight of arms even before it filled up with geeks. We headed off to the private deer camp we were to shoot at. For some reason it didn't strike me that "deer camp" and "paved road" might not be compatible; heck, most people I knew hunted deer with pickup trucks. I thought deer lived mostly on pavement... after the part where "then you turn off the dirt road" I lost part of the tailpipe, then broke a rear spring. Ah, well.

We'd all brought plenty of ammo, but Dave brought several cases of .223. Just a few boxes of 7.62x39; it was expensive and hard to get back then. My wife liked the M-16, and he kept handing her fresh magazines while she cut down a tree. Then she melted the handguard. Instead of getting mad, Dave said "Cool!" I don't know if it was original or aftermarket.

Anyway, I didn't get along with the M-16 very well. The proportions didn't match my fat Charlie Brown head and apelike arms, maybe. I laid it down and picked up the AK, which looked like a riveted and varnished dog turd next to the machined, forged aluminum goodness of the M-16. The AK felt like a toy, or something designed for a 9-year-old; it felt even smaller than it looked. But it felt *right*; there was only enough ammo for a couple of quick blats on rock'n'roll, the rest of the time it was just "see it - point it - shoot it." Yeah, you can talk about sight radius, MOA, and all that stuff, but for "minute of deer camp" I was tearing shit up.

I'm sure the M-16 was the more accurate of the two, but for "pick it up for the first time and shoot it", I thought the AK was the big winner. Though most people claimed they liked the M-16 better. Beats me...

Dave had also brought his full-auto M-14. The M-14 was a big, HEAVY mofo to heave up to your shoulder and shoot. I'd brought my '91 Mauser, and it kicked at lot harder than the Mauser. And on rock'n'roll... yeah, right. There was a damned good reason the BAR weighed 19 pounds, and all of its successors were designed to be fired from bipods or pintles. Aim? Just holding on was hard enough; it was like being on the wrong end of a jackhammer.

Someone had brought his current girlfriend, who was sulking in one of the cars with the windows up. Someone else dragged her out, fitted her with ear plugs *and* ear muffs - apparently she had sensitive ears - and someone else handed her a .38 with some wax bullets loaded over primers. (yeah, I know why people make such things, but why bring them to a psycho geek gunfest?). She went through a cylinder of those, and then some plinking ammo, and bit later she was shooting someone else's .44 Magnum with full power loads. And going "wheeeee!" every time she pulled the trigger. Last I heard, she had several pistols of her own...

I'd brought my "Mad Max" NFA shotgun. One of the guys shooting it got so excited he had a premature... er, discharge. Shot the end of his shoe off and turned some toes black and blue. We made "toe" jokes for months.

All in all, one of my more memorable shooting excursions.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

It's just a crap shoot on what rifle is most suitable.
    I know that a fa vz58 is simply incredible.
    I have come to appreciate what a compact FAL para, with folding stock
    can do.

In the end, it's how a piece of hardware is utilized.
    Creative minds can turn a 1911 into a hailstorm of defensive fire.
    (Scene in, "We Were Soldiers", Sam Elliot)
    Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

I am my favorite American gunnerxxx's Avatar
    Feedback Score

TRX I got a visual! Laughing so hard I got tears in me eye.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

guess I am ok! I got almost one of everything mentioned except M-14

I have read several say 223 cause mags & ammo with be plentyful,

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.