Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 30 Most Popular Herbs for Natural Medicine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default 30 Most Popular Herbs for Natural Medicine

30 Most Popular Herbs for Natural Medicine

We tend to look to God as a source of all healing. It is said that He has provided all that we will ever need:
    “the fruit of it shall be for eating and leaf of it for healing…” (Ezekiel 47:12)
    Herbs are a wondrous thing. They not only assist in flavoring dishes and filling the air with delightful aromas, but they also hold medicinal properties that promote healing. Those of you who have herbal gardens of your own, no doubt have a few of these herbal friends already planted. Many of the plants listed below are also listed in my Top 10 Medicinal Herbs that should be in every garden. However, it seems that there are a few more worth mentioning.

Our Herbal Friends

1. Aloe Vera – Antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiviral, wound and burn healer, natural laxative, soothes stomach, helps skin disorders.
    2. Basil – Powerful antispasmodic, antiviral, anti-infectious, antibacterial, soothes stomach.
    3. Black Cohosh – Relieves menopausal hot flashes, relieves menstrual cramps, helps circulatory and cardiovascular disorders, lowers blood pressure, reduces cholesterol, useful for nervousness and stress. Note: Do not use during pregnancy.
    4. Black Walnut – Good for eliminating parasites, good for fungal infections, good for warts and poison ivy, aids digestion.
    5. Cinnamon – It has been proven that 99.9% of viruses and bacteria can not live in the presence of cinnamon. So it makes a great antibacterial and antiviral weapon.
    6. Cayenne- Catalyst for other herbs, useful for arthritis and rheumatism (topically and internally), good for colds, flu viruses, sinus infection and sore throat, useful for headache and fever, aids organs (kidneys, heart, lungs, pancreas, spleen and stomach, increase thermogenesis for weight loss.
    7. Clove Bud – Improves the immune system, they are also an antioxidant and doubles as an antibacterial and antimicrobial fighter.
    8. Cypress – The therapeutic properties of cypress oil are astringent, antiseptic, antispasmodic, deodorant, diuretic, haemostatic, hepatic, styptic, sudorific, vasoconstrictor, respiratory tonic and sedative.
    9. Dandelion – Helpful for PMS, good for menopause, increases ovarian hormones.
    10. Echinacea (coneflower) – Boosts white blood cell production, immune system support, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties, good for colds, flu and infection. Note: Use no more than two weeks at a time. Do not use if you are allergic to sunflowers or related species.
    11. Eucalyptus – Anti-infectious, antibacterial and antiviral.
    12. Garlic – Helps fight infection, detoxifies the body, enhances immunity, lowers blood fats, assists yeast infections, helps asthma, cancer, sinusitis, circulatory problems and heart conditions.
    13. German Chamomile – Helps stress, anxiety and insomnia, good for indigestion, useful for colitis and most digestive problems, effective blood cleanser and helps increase liver function and supports the pancreas. Improves bile flow from the liver, it is good for healing of the skin that might come from a blistering chemical agent.
    14. Geranium – Dilates bile ducts for liver detoxification, antispasmodic, stops bleeding, anti-infectious, antibacterial.
    15. Ginger – Helps nausea, motion sickness and vomiting, useful for circulatory problems, good for indigestion, and is also an effective antioxidant.
    16. Lavender – Assists with burns, antiseptic, used as a stress reliever, good for depression, aids skin health and beauty.
    17. Lemon – Is known for its antiseptic properties, Essential Science Publishing says that: According to Jean Valnet, M.D. the vaporized essence of lemon can kill meningococcal bacteria in 15 minutes, typhoid bacilli in one hour, Staphylococcus aureus in two hours and Pneumococcus bacteria within three hours. Lemon also improves micro-circulation, promotes white blood cell formation, and improves immune function.
    18. Marjoram – Anti-infectious, antibacterial, dilates blood vessels, regulates blood pressure, soothes muscles.
    19. Marshmallow – Aids bladder infections, diuretic (helps fluid retention), helps kidney problems, soothes coughs, sore throats, indigestion, and as a topical agent it is said to be anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and wound-healing.
    20. Melissa – Assists in issues with the nervous system, blisters, and has antimicrobial properties.
    21. Mullein – Can be used as a laxative, good for asthma and bronchitis, useful for difficulty breathing, helps hay fever.
    22. Myrrh – Anti-infectious, antiviral, soothes skin conditions and supports immune system. Also an antispasmodic that helps to reduce spasming due to spasms caused by nerve agents.
    23. Oregano – is a powerful antibiotic and has been proven to be more effective in neutralizing germs than some chemical antibiotics. It has been effective against germs like Staphylococcus aureas, Escherichia coli, Yersinia enterocolitica and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
    24. Pine – Antidiabetic, cortisone-like, severe infections, hypertensive
    25. Rosemary – Antiseptic, Antibacterial, Cleansing and detoxes the body. Supports the liver and combats cirrhosis.
    26. Rosewood – Anti-infectious, antibacterial, and antiviral.
    27. Sage – Used in anxiety, nervous disorders, as astringent, in abdominal disorders, anti inflammatory.
    28. Spearmint – To calm the Nervous System, aide with Nerve Agents.
    29. Tea Tree – Disinfectant, antibacterial, anti-fungal, burns, good for all skin conditions.
    30. Thyme – Effective against Anthrax and Tuberculosis
    Perhaps it is time that we begin taking more proactive steps in our physical well being. In the book, Natural Health Remedies: An A-Z Family Guide it states that natural medicine does not simply seek to suppress symptoms with drugs and so forth, but it attempts to discover and eliminate the root cause of disease. Even further, the author suggests that natural medicine teaches not only the treatment of disease but also its prevention by instilling dietary and lifestyle habits that promote health.

This article has been contributed by Tess Pennington of Ready Nutrition. Subscribe to Tess’ Get Prepped Weekly Newsletter for more emergency preparedness tips, homesteading ideas, and insights. As a subscriber to her free newsletter you’ll receive the latest updates from her 52 Weeks to Preparedness Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Planning Series. It’s well worth your time, and oh, did we mention it’s totally free?
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

One of my favs is the inner bark of the willow tree which has the same ingredeint as aspirin.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Inner bark of the African Yohimbe can be very valuable for ... well lets just say "difficulties rising to the occasion" , just do not drink alcohol or no MAO inhibitors ( check internet for these)
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Great post! My family, especially my wife, has been making the transition to healthier eating and natural remedies the last couple of years. Not on the list are a variety of mushrooms that have amazing healing properties, such as Cordyceps (given to the Chinese Olympic team recently), Reishi, and Maitake.

Turmeric is a good adder to the list. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works far better than Ibuprofen on my surgically repaired knee. It is actually a spice used in curry dishes and comes from a root of the same name.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Black Elderberry (Sambucus Nigra) is another one that should be on the list.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

D-R
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Let me add Yunnan Bai Yao to that list. Not a single herb, but more than important enough.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Lomatium.
    It's wild parsley.
    Very underrated for respiration problems.

Maitake Mushroom.
    Golden Seal.

Now days, the focus is on strong herbs to bolster the
    immune system.
    Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

Feedback Score

Another quality post from Black Blade. Thank you.

Feedback Score

The very best thing you can do is start growing your own herbs and use them!

Get a book on herbs; the older the better if you can find one at a used book store or yard sale. The newer books, I've found, steer you away from some of the "old ways".

Most herbs do very well in poor soil. I'd suggest the basics; sage, rosemary, chives, basil, coriander (celantro), savory, and lemon balm. For flowers with medicinal uses try hollyhock, larkspur, lavender, primrose and safflower.

To actually use the herbs, cut them fresh after the morning dew has evaporated. Refer to your book for freezing and drying. Somethings I dry and then grind, some I leave as leaves.

Things to make with herbs: herb vinegars, aromatic baths, fragrant rubbing lotions, catnip pads, incense, moth preventives, and teas.

Aloe vera grows so well on a window sill, I can barely give away the new shoots and more are already growing! Great for any skin condition and burns. Just break the leaf and apply directly.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

agreed another great post by black blade

warts:

warts can be removed using white or apple vineager applied to a bandaid, the vineager should be applied directly to the wart, the acid in the vineager will eat the wart away in about a week, changing the bandaid daily

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.