Gunco Forums banner

You Know That Your City Has Become A Hellhole When….

4K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  o.d. ak 
#1 ·
You Know That Your City Has Become A Hellhole When….

October 12, 2011Source: The Economic Collapse

All across America there are cities and towns that were once prosperous and beautiful that are being transformed into absolute hellholes. The scars left by the long-term economic decline of the United States are getting deeper and more gruesome. The tax base in many areas of the nation has been absolutely devastated as millions of jobs have left this country. Hundreds of cities are drowning in debt and are desperately trying to survive. Last year, city government revenues in the United States fell by another 2.3 percent. That was the fifth year in a row that we have seen a decline. Meanwhile, costs associated with health care, pensions and virtually everything else continue to explode. So what are cities doing to make ends meet? Well, one big trend that we are now witnessing is that many U.S. cities have been getting rid of huge numbers of employees. If you can believe it, 72 percent of all U.S. cities are laying workers off this year. Social services and essential infrastructure programs are also being savagely cut back in many areas of the country. The cold, hard truth is that most of our cities are flat broke and things are going to get even worse in the years ahead.

So how do you know if your own city has become a hellhole?

Well, a few potential “red flags” are posted below….

You know that your city has become a hellhole when most of the street lightsget repossessed because of unpaid electric bills.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when it announces that it will no longer prosecute domestic violence cases in order to save money.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when it simply stops sending out pension checks to retired workers.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when it rips up asphalt roads and replaces them with gravel because gravel is cheaper to maintain.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when it eliminates the entire public bus system.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when nearly half of all the people living there can’t read.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when one out of every ten homes sells for under $10,000.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when you can literally buy a house for one dollar.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when you have hundreds of people living in the tunnels underneath your streets.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when three of your past five mayors have been sent to prison for corruption.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when nearly half of the public schools in the city get shut down because of a lack of money.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when you have dozens of young people rampaging in the streets that are thirsty for revenge and that are armed with bats, pipes and guns.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when it is considered to be one of the 10 most dangerous cities in the world.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when thieves defecate in the back seat after they have broken into your car and taken your things.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when prostitution and drug dealing are two of the only viable businesses that remain in the city.

You know that your city has become a hellhole when the police chief announces that the police department will no longer respond to calls about burglary and identity theft due to very deep budget cuts.

Many of the examples above may seem humorous at first glance, but the truth is that they reveal just how deeply tragic our economic decline really is.

This is one of the reasons why I write about our trade deficit over and over and over. Every single month, tens of billions of dollars more wealth goes out of the United States than enters it. Every single month, we are getting poorer as a nation. Every single month, we lose more jobs and businesses.

Any politician that tells you that he or she can solve our economic problems without fundamentally addressing our horrific trade imbalance is lying to you. That means that there are a whole lot of liars in both political parties.

If the number of good jobs continues to decline, the plight of the average American family is going to continue to get worse. Home sales will continue to hover around record lows. The American people will continue to become increasingly frustrated with the economy.

The signs of decline are all around us.

Quit listening to the politicians and just open up your eyes and look.

So do any of you have any additional signs that a city has become a hellhole to add to the list above? Please feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts below….

See less See more
#3 ·
It seems there are more and more hellholes popping up everyday.

#5 ·
> social services

At a city level, that's a giant WTF!? for me. When I first encountered mention of it a couple of years ago I was so incredulous I did some web searches to make sure it was true.

The usual system is, "we're going to put an additional tax burden on the productive residents of our city. Then we're going to take the money to build huge Soviet-style apartment blocks and rent them (or provide them for free) to "the poor", for which we will advertise state- or nation-wide. Then we'll create an entire bureaucracy to service this new group of residents." Then you have second-stage places like Memphis, where the apartment blocks were deemed festering sores of crime (you think?!) and so they bought houses for all these people and relocated them. WTF?!

So people move as far away from these sores as they can, while their own city government plows money in to support them and make them bigger.

The mind, she boggle...

That's the kind of budgetary wanking that county or state budgets can support, but when cities do it, it makes no sense at all.

#6 ·
i just saw this on TV the other day where cali is going to dump about 12,000 hardened criminals out on the street in some kind of open parole. murders, rapist , child abusers ALL getting out early cause the state is broke. and has no money to even pay the parole officers--

so there getting out anyway-- now how much is a brick of .22lr? $23 will take out 500--

#7 ·
No room at the inn down here j4.... One in one out.
Now it has become a money game. You can almost get away with murder if your broke, they dont want you at the inn.
Drugs, no problem, in out, robbery, in out. IF you are broke.
Got money. Probation, drug testing, pay for anger managment classes, D.U.I school, God knows what else $$$$$$.
Seletive arrest.
Money= Jail.
Broke= Go home.

#12 ·
Oh, but they are just ENTITLED to a free living!

We handed out $5 to a hobo who came into the place we ate out at last night. Came right up to the table and interrupted the meal asking for a hand out. $5 cost less than pulling out my carry weapon and getting into all of that.

So, I think Cities just provide support to keep a lid on it all. Until one day, it runs dry.

That day is coming when we gotta.........

#14 ·
twa.

Brattelboro, exit 2 there in Vermont.
Has, or had when I was there, the distinction of being the highest per capita capture of most wanted criminals.
When bad guys want too disapear.
Hell, aint a much better place than the wilds of Vermont.
Keep yer powder dry. :cheers:

#15 ·
Oh ya, the northeast kindom is a place that you can pretty much disapear if you want to, lots of deep woods to get lost in. Brattelboro and Bennington areas, in southern Vt, still gets it's share of drug dealer arrests from people comming out of Mass and NYC, seems to be a "hot bed" for those activities as well as St Johnsburry area in northern Vt. and Rutland area in central Vt. I could care less about weed but all the hard drugs that are turning up around here kinda has me worried, there has been an influx of heroin, oxycodone and all that kind of shit recently. Just like anywhere else it's getting worse all over,not anything like when we were younger.

#17 ·
Everywhere twa, everywhere, the breakdown is occurring.
No different than the big cities.
I lived in a lot of different places, Vermont being one of them.
Now living is a small community, swamp :) in Florida.
The dangers are not much different than big city life.
Just being in small towns, everyone knows everyone else's business and we hear more.

#20 ·
Dude, paranoid much? Maybe in your little 1/4 acre of the world everyone agrees with everything you say but fortunately for the rest of the country people actually DISCUSS things without people having to immediately go into the gutter calling names.

I didn't call any names. I asked a couple of simple questions. I don't see the need to immediately divide the country into them and us on every topic. If you don't like what I have to say then don't read my posts. But you won't drive me away or stop me from speaking my mind by calling me a troll.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.