Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sensible SHTF Vehicle-Good and Cheap??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Unimog would be my first choice based on your requirements, those things are badass.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

1973 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4 8FT.Bed
    1970 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Pickup Truck
    78 CHEVY 4X4 3/4 TON
    78 CHEVY 4X4 3/4 TON

This would work great for you price seems a little high in the first on, look in the 3K range go for a pre-75 if you can (no catts) 350 SB (most mass produced engine on the planet) 2 fuel tanks, EMP proof, and PARTS ARE CHEAP so you can buy spare parts. Plus it is cheap so if you ding the side up on a trail or other car, it's no big deal because it's not a 40K truck.

Good luck finding Unimog parts

I have a 1985 Chevy K20 3/4 ton 4x4 it is by no means fancy but it will get the job done any day of the week. like I said parts are cheap and plentiful. I lifted my 4" to be able to run 35" tires(have 32"on it now). I live in AZ I'm sure my truck will get me anywhere I need to get in the state. I bought this truck for the same reason you want one for. I have 4 people in my family and if we had to could fit into the cab(it's my hunting truck too) I paid $1600 That leaves a ton of room for a camper extra parts and bug out gear

I can find campers ($1500-3000) for them and that adds to the whole STHF truck now you have a place to sleep, cook, shower, poop, 4-6 people could live out of one if you had to plus room for tools, guns, food, and the whole thing is cheap moble (4x4) and you would have plently of power with the V8

Cab Over Camper
    Cab over camper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sensible SHTF Vehicle-Good and Cheap??-photo-1.jpg  

Sensible SHTF Vehicle-Good and Cheap??-photo-2.jpg  

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    And if required, you can eat it
    Great minds think alike
    To all those talking gas and diesel vehicles, read the bumper sticker on my burro:
    I MIGHT BE SLOW
    BUT I DIDN't RUN OUT OF GAS
    Last edited by gunnysmith; 11-26-2011 at 12:04 AM.
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Sold!

Quote Originally Posted by gunnysmith View Post
    no fuel no flat tires

hell yea! they can pack quite the load of 5.56mm , they can eat straw.

gas may get very-very short on THAT day.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

They have the ability to digest foods a horse would not even eat.
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Thanks guys for all the input. I'll take a look at some of the links.

O.D. AK, yeah my wife and I love those Unimogs!!! It's a great vehicle, and although parts aren't the easiest to find, they are built like a tank, and "shouldn't" need parts, IF it has been gone through prior and brought up to proper standards.

Col., I definitely hear you on the Chevy 350 thing. About the easiest thing to find parts for there is. That's why we had been looking at '60's models Suburbans, but they are few and far between unfortunately. If you find one in good shape, with 4 wheel drive, and a V8, then they want $15K for it. The rest are rusted out 6 cylinder 2 wheel drives. I REALLY wanted one, and found some that we really liked, but they were out of our price range.

Coils, that's why I wanted an earlier vehicle, so I could get away from electronics. Figured points and condenser were WAY easier to deal with in a SHTF situation, if there was even the slightest possibility of any EMP issues. Be it a terror attack, aliens, or our gov. LOL.

And just so you all know where I stand mechanically, I am an aircraft mechanic by trade, have owned and built motorcycles, as well as a couple muscle cars and my current automotive passion, the Porsche 928. Germany's answer to the American muscle car. I'm on my second one, my first having been purchased in '99. Then of course I'm into building AK's as well. So, in other words, I am mechanically inclined, and have wrenched on a lot of different vehicles over the years. I "should" be able to bring a fixer upper back to respectable mechanical standards, given the time and funds.

The big issue was trying to figure out what types of vehicles are popular for SHTF preparedness, as well as vehicles that would fit my specific needs. I just want to make sure that I'm not suffering from tunnel vision, like I am apt to do from time to time.

Thanks again for all the input guys. It is MUCH appreciated.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

By the way Col, way back a lifetime ago when I was a young, wet behind the ears Jarhead at New River MCAS, my ex-wife and I had a 1981 Chevy Scottsdale 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive, with twin tanks, and a 4 speed w/ a granny gear. Man that was one of my favorite vehicles that I've ever owned. Unfortunately I couldn't afford the gas, and had to sell it after about a year. That hurt. Especially when the replacement was a '78 Volkswagen Rabbit.
    That truck would be perfect about now. It was carburated, and I had removed the stock exhaust and put headers and glasspacks on it. Sounded awesome!! Long wheelbase bed could hold a ton of sh*t too!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

But Gunny, if you've been keeping up with "The Walking Dead" on AMC, the zombies eat horses!!! They don't eat the trucks though. LOL. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

If rusted vehicles is an issue in your area, I know it is here, check out the SW or S-central part of the country, there's usually a good bit of older vehicles with no rust in those areas.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.