Gunco Forums banner

Sensible SHTF Vehicle-Good and Cheap??

10K views 57 replies 24 participants last post by  WV_gunner 
#1 ·
My wife and I have been discussing buying an extra vehicle whose express mission is to get us the hell outa dodge if/when things go south, and we can not maintain security at home. I may be going overboard, but I am thinking about older vehicles with no real electronics on them, that would be easy to repair and/or impervious to EMP. I know that may sound stupid, but I figure if I'm going to invest in something to help save our lives, then I want to plan for most any contingency.

Here's my list. It needs to have:

1) At least enough room for 4-6 adults, one dog, our gear, extra fuel, etc....
2) reasonable off road capabilities, 4x4, winch, heavy bumpers, extra lighting, V-8 or turbo diesel for torque/pushing vehicles out of the way.
3) Easy to repair/maintain.
4) Preferably something that is or can be made EMP resistant if not completely shielded. (and no, I have no clue if that's even possible.)
5) Would prefer an automatic due to my wife having rheumatoid arthritis, and driving a stick isn't easy for her. Not mandatory, but prefered.
There's probably 20 other things that I can't think of right now.

Blade, or any of you have any ideas as to what might be a good fit, that doesn't cost a fortune to build/buy?

We have thought about older late '60's International Harvester, Ford Bronco, Chevy or GMC Suburban, Mercedes Unimog, military deuce and a half, etc...

Wouldn't mind a military Humvee in the right configuration, but damn they're expensive!!!!

My wife is partial to the Unimog. A friend who owns one took us for a ride, and she loved it's capabilities off road. Very simple vehicle. Diesel engine. About 2 feet of ground clearance. Minimal electrial system. Kind of like the AK of the off road world: Simple, durable, and reliable. The prices aren't too bad either. Between $5000.00 and $10,000.00 depending on year, options, and engine type. (gas or diesel)

What do you "experts" think, or what do you have for such an emergency? What am I overlooking or missing? Am I on the wrong path? Thanks for any and all info and help.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know but my first choice would be couple an used ATV's with trailers. You can get out of Dodge faster and further with less fuel and without being detected as fast, and you don't need roads at all for them. A sheilding of lead flashing around the CD boxs will protect it just fine. Ya also have to keep in mind hiding them when you get to where you want to be, unimogs are awsome but huge, and that could just ruin your whole day if your detected. After all you're just trying to get to your secondary position undetected and which should be already set up anyways. Come "bug out" time speed and mobility should be your primary concerns, an ATV will do all of that for you and better. Plus there just plain DAMN FUN, till that SHTF point comes. I've driven all types of off road rigs and an ATV will get you places that nothing else will, period, unimog included. Remember ya still have to get between the trees and rocks, even a logging road can become a choke point. After all you can zip under a blow down and hide an ATV instantly, try that with a unimog or a jeep, not going to work very well, to exposed and big. ATV's are my choice. And you can get 3-4 good used smaller ATV's for the same price.

#4 ·
TWA, unfortunatey with the gear, people, dog, etc.... an ATV just won't cut it. I definitely got your point, and I agree, but in my/our current situation we need something larger. If it was just me, I would definitely go the ATV route.

Col., we are trying to keep it sub $10K for sure, but preferably closer to the $5K mark "if" possible.

#5 ·
If you're good at the surplus game, consider a CUCV. The electronics are minimal, it's diesel and, though not a screamer, will get you from here to there with plenty of hauling capacity.

Here's one civvy dealer offering some trucks, 100Dollarman - Trucks!

#6 ·
If you like the Unimog then check out Pinzgauers. Unfortunatly they have really gone up in price the last 5 years and this has kept me from buying one. They are just about hand built.

#9 ·
From your first post I'd say a full sized SUV (because of the 4-6 people thing) and something made before the mid 70s because you mentioned "with no or very little elctronics", it was sometime in the mid 70s when almost all vehicles went to electronics ignition systems, before that they used points and usually had mechanical fuel pumps. With something as simple as this setup you can carry spare points and an ign coil incase of an EMP.
Your big issue is the number of people your looking to have in the vehicle, you might have to have a trailer as well.
Another thought would be a 4x4 van, yes they are out there or can be switched over from 2wd. It would be good for basic off road use but nothing hard core.

#12 ·
1973 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4 8FT.Bed
1970 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 Pickup Truck
78 CHEVY 4X4 3/4 TON
78 CHEVY 4X4 3/4 TON

This would work great for you price seems a little high in the first on, look in the 3K range go for a pre-75 if you can (no catts) 350 SB (most mass produced engine on the planet) 2 fuel tanks, EMP proof, and PARTS ARE CHEAP so you can buy spare parts. Plus it is cheap so if you ding the side up on a trail or other car, it's no big deal because it's not a 40K truck.

Good luck finding Unimog parts

I have a 1985 Chevy K20 3/4 ton 4x4 it is by no means fancy but it will get the job done any day of the week. like I said parts are cheap and plentiful. I lifted my 4" to be able to run 35" tires(have 32"on it now). I live in AZ I'm sure my truck will get me anywhere I need to get in the state. I bought this truck for the same reason you want one for. I have 4 people in my family and if we had to could fit into the cab(it's my hunting truck too) I paid $1600 That leaves a ton of room for a camper extra parts and bug out gear

I can find campers ($1500-3000) for them and that adds to the whole STHF truck now you have a place to sleep, cook, shower, poop, 4-6 people could live out of one if you had to plus room for tools, guns, food, and the whole thing is cheap moble (4x4) and you would have plently of power with the V8

Cab Over Camper
Cab over camper

Attachments

#16 ·
Thanks guys for all the input. I'll take a look at some of the links.

O.D. AK, yeah my wife and I love those Unimogs!!! It's a great vehicle, and although parts aren't the easiest to find, they are built like a tank, and "shouldn't" need parts, IF it has been gone through prior and brought up to proper standards.

Col., I definitely hear you on the Chevy 350 thing. About the easiest thing to find parts for there is. That's why we had been looking at '60's models Suburbans, but they are few and far between unfortunately. If you find one in good shape, with 4 wheel drive, and a V8, then they want $15K for it. The rest are rusted out 6 cylinder 2 wheel drives. I REALLY wanted one, and found some that we really liked, but they were out of our price range.

Coils, that's why I wanted an earlier vehicle, so I could get away from electronics. Figured points and condenser were WAY easier to deal with in a SHTF situation, if there was even the slightest possibility of any EMP issues. Be it a terror attack, aliens, or our gov. LOL.

And just so you all know where I stand mechanically, I am an aircraft mechanic by trade, have owned and built motorcycles, as well as a couple muscle cars and my current automotive passion, the Porsche 928. Germany's answer to the American muscle car. I'm on my second one, my first having been purchased in '99. Then of course I'm into building AK's as well. So, in other words, I am mechanically inclined, and have wrenched on a lot of different vehicles over the years. I "should" be able to bring a fixer upper back to respectable mechanical standards, given the time and funds.

The big issue was trying to figure out what types of vehicles are popular for SHTF preparedness, as well as vehicles that would fit my specific needs. I just want to make sure that I'm not suffering from tunnel vision, like I am apt to do from time to time.

Thanks again for all the input guys. It is MUCH appreciated.

#17 ·
By the way Col, way back a lifetime ago when I was a young, wet behind the ears Jarhead at New River MCAS, my ex-wife and I had a 1981 Chevy Scottsdale 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive, with twin tanks, and a 4 speed w/ a granny gear. Man that was one of my favorite vehicles that I've ever owned. Unfortunately I couldn't afford the gas, and had to sell it after about a year. That hurt. Especially when the replacement was a '78 Volkswagen Rabbit.
That truck would be perfect about now. It was carburated, and I had removed the stock exhaust and put headers and glasspacks on it. Sounded awesome!! Long wheelbase bed could hold a ton of sh*t too!!!!!

#19 ·
But Gunny, if you've been keeping up with "The Walking Dead" on AMC, the zombies eat horses!!! They don't eat the trucks though. LOL. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

#21 ·
They're smarter than a horse. Touche'

Nutrition
Poitou donkeys.
Donkeys' tough digestive system is somewhat less prone to colic than that of horses, can break down near-inedible vegetation and extract moisture from food very efficiently.
Behaviour

Donkeys have a notorious reputation for stubbornness, but this has been attributed to a much stronger sense of "self preservation" than exhibited by horses.[14] Likely based on a stronger prey instinct and a weaker connection with man, it is considerably more difficult to force or frighten a donkey into doing something it perceives to be dangerous for whatever reason. Once a person has earned their confidence they can be willing and companionable partners and very dependable in work.[citation needed]

Although formal studies of their behaviour and cognition are rather limited, donkeys appear to be quite intelligent, cautious, friendly, playful, and eager to learn.

#20 ·
If rusted vehicles is an issue in your area, I know it is here, check out the SW or S-central part of the country, there's usually a good bit of older vehicles with no rust in those areas.

#23 ·
The beauty of the Chevy truck platform is the drivetrains in them can be swapped out for an earlier setup with minimal hassle. You could buy say a 99 Suburban with a blown engine or tranny and replace them with commonly available carb engines and non-electronic shifted transmissions. That way you get a bulletproof engine and tranny setup with good parts scavenging possibilities along with a newer vehicle that blends in well, has less rust issues, and has some of the modern amenities. A carb 350 small block can be found almost anywhere, either as a crate motor or built up from a junkyard or Craigslist find. Replace the electronic 4L60E tranny with the earlier 700R4, it bolts right in as a direct replacement and only needs a 12 volt wire to supply the lockup solenoid with power. A simple internal switch rewire makes the lockup work without external controls.

Go with the original 70s-80s GM HEI ignition, and EMP is not a worry. Supply 12 volts to one terminal, you got spark. Spare whole distributers are $30-50 each at a junkyard and fit inside an ammo box for a faraday cage. You can swap them out in 10 minutes on the side of the road if needed. A GM 1 wire alternator in a metal box for a spare takes care of the other EMP parts worry.

#24 ·
The beauty of the Chevy truck platform is the drivetrains in them can be swapped out for an earlier setup with minimal hassle. You could buy say a 99 Suburban
Buy one older than that, and take advantage of "antique vehicle" registration if applicable in your state. Here in Arkansas, '86 and earlier is an "antique", the only restriction is "not for hire". Oh, and the plate is $7.50, one time only, no renewal needed.

A pre-computer vehicle is mostly proof against EMP. Something not as out-there as it used to be, now that a couple of companies are aggressively marketing car-zappers to police departments. The idea is they just point the antenna at a car and blow out its electrical system. So far there has been some concern about liability for a cop trashing a vehicle's entire electrical system when said vehicle might not be owned by the driver, or if they zap the wrong car. So far, nobody seems worried about zapping pacemakers or implanted insulin pumps.

But still, for even a mild SHTF situation, you need to consider fuel. Even backwoods Arkansas gas stations have full-time connections to the mothership nowadays, and if the connection goes down, they can't even make a cash sale. Like ammunition, whatever fuel is in your tank is likely to be all you're going to have, plus whatever you have in storage. In many areas, storing more than a gallon or two for the lawnmower can be a big hassle.

My '65 C-20 had the original tank in the cab and a 20-gallon booster tank under the bed on each side; it held 56 gallons total, if I remember tight. My '68 F-100 had a booster tank in the back, which reduced bed space to an annoying degree, but the combined tanks held about 40 gallons.

#27 ·
The wife and I did some looking at the CUCV's and she liked them. We are gonna take a look at some of the various auctions and see what kinda prices they are going for.

Will report back when I have time. Thanks for all the continued input guys!!!!

#28 ·
I forgot about rust, out here in AZ it is no problem.

To add to kernelkrink said if this is a true SHTF bug out truck you will want to blend as much as possable, yes duece and a halfs and Unimogs might go far and carry alot but it SCREAMS I prepared for this. To me thats like driving a big target. I like the idea of a newer suburban or Chevy truck. there are ton of them out there and there not flashy and you said you could turn a wrench, I would look for one with a blown engine and try to get it cheap and fix it up so you know it will get you to where you need to go

You may want to try and find one with a solid front axle(think 3/4ton 1994 maybe) The CV joints on chevy IFS need replacing every 4-5 years (might be less but in AZ thats as long as they have lasted me)

#32 ·
My ultimate SHTF vehicle is a VW powered sand rail / truckling. You could also go with a v6 powered or even v8 powered vehicle, but if you stick with VW, you can fix it in a ditch. I have literally rebuilt a VW motor on a couple of cinder blocks under a nice shade tree. Spares are still plentiful, though not as cheap as they once were. The secret is to keep the vehicle weight down as low as possible.

My first "real" vehicle was built in a junkyard, and was a VW powered single seat Sand Rail. My total cost in 1980 dollars was $210.00. I sold it to some knothead who killed himself in it a month later, and used the proceeds ($2,100.00) to build my first ugly truckling, a 1976 Datsun King Cab, with a Chevy Luv step side bed, and Jeep underpinnings. Buick V6, and Jeep transmission with transfer case. Finished it, drove it for two months, and a buddy rolled it while I was passed out after my first day of leave after Ranger School.

Seriously, I think that a VW based vehicle is the real answer. All of the "vulnerable" parts can fit into one .50 cal ammo can.

Comments please. I would like someone to shoot some real holes in this concept, because I can't, or I am too sold on the idea.

Regards,

#30 ·
Lamma's, they can eat anything too, haul allot and taste better when ya run outa chow. Only down side to a regular vech. they have a heat signiture that a missle can lock on to, critters don't, and they taste much better than a small block if worse comes to worse. A horse or donkey or oxen with a tram-wa, works awsome, and you can haul nearly a half ton with them without a problem. We did that on an archaeological dig with horses in the mid west a few years back at a very remote and hard to get to area, and it worked very well to haul our gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.