Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sensible SHTF Vehicle-Good and Cheap??

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Bill, you're correct, as an enduro or an ATV would be "best" given the potential gridlock, but unfortunately due to some family health issues, that is not an option. If it were just me, I would probably go with a 4 wheeler ATV with front and rear cargo racks.

I really need something larger, and preferably an automatic in case my wife needs to drive it. (She can drive a straight drive, but her arthritis makes it painful.)

I'm truly thinking that the CUCV is an interesting alternative, IF I can get a couple of them cheap, even better.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If you get one post up some pictures

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I'd want to do a physical inspect of a CUCV before buying one.

You'll probably need two new batteries for the 24v running gear. A resistor drops the 24v to 12 for accessories, so no worries there.

There's also a good likelyhood of the injectors needing to be cleaned, a lot of the CUCV spent a good deal of their active life idling.

And as you've probably already seen, the interiors are trashed or close to it.

Other than that, normal used vehicle inspection should shake out winners from losers. If you can somehow jumpstart them in the lot that may also help, though 24 volt jumpstart won't be easy.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

One of these in REALTREE camo, LOL

Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I've been looking at the M35/a3 deuce & 1/2's. They have auto 4 speeds & power steering.

1996 M35A3 2.5 ton cargo truck others available #1400 1996 M35A3 2.5 ton cargo truck others available #1400 | eBay
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Thanks for the tips Sjohnson.

Gunny, that is funny as hell, I don't care who you are!!!!! LMAO!!!!!

Brad, that guy has a TON of sh*t on his E-bay store. Interesting deauce n a half. Hell he even has Unimogs too.

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BILLPHOTO View Post
    an enduro type motorcycle with capability to carry gear, would be the best bet.
    Hey, it worked for Charlton Heston in "The Omega Man"!

If you're not moving a huge amount of gear, a motorcycle will do quite well. Some of the "adventure tour" guys load them until they're so topheavy they're hard to ride, which is the wrong answer. The correct answer: put your junk on a trailer.

I'd seen motorcycles with trailers for decades, and had always thought they were disasters waiting to happen. A trailer can make a single-track vehicle jackknife if you have to brake hard. Now consider, my idea of "braking hard" means "air under the back tire." So I dismissed the whole idea of trailers.

Then my brother got a wild hair for a trailer... for his VFR800, with was one of those lay-on-your-face sportbikes. So I spent a couple of days building a hitch and he spent a week or so narrowing a Harbor Freight utility trailer until it was no wider than the mirrors, which were wider than you'd think.

Got it all together. The trailer weighed maybe 150 pounds. We threw a 175-pound Chevy engine block on it and went riding. I traded bikes with him after an hour or so to see what it felt like.

You don't even notice it's there unless you hit some bumps in a turn, when the tongue wags the back of the bike a bit. Not much, just enough to feel peculiar. After a while you don't pay any attention to it.

You can stop quite briskly with the trailer. One thing I'd failed to consider was that the cargo is all above the hitch centerline, so when you brake, the trailer tends to push the rear of the bike down. You could probably still grab a big handful of front brake and get into trouble, but for normal riding there's no problem.

Also, when you get to where you're going, you just pull the pin and unplug the lights, and go hammer AR16 or Deal's Gap, with all your stuff safe at the motel. And if you're smarter than we were, you'd make the trailer narrow enough to fit through the motel room door...

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I LOVE Deal's Gap!!!! Been a few times with the 928 Owners Club. What a rush!!!!!!! Tail of the Dragon.

ak9
    Feedback Score

2ndAmendican
    The CUCV can be had pretty cheap on GOV liquidation.com ... there is allot to choose from all over the country.They usually sell for about $1000-$2000. But to buy from them you have to be a US citizen with no felonies. The m35 a3's are bad ass but they are not multifuel they usually sell @ auction between 6-8 K,they use hydraulics for everything . The M35a2's are mulifuel direct inject turbos 5 speed w/hi & low stick shift, air lock frt end, some have the hard roofs ,cab heaters winch & rarely power steering(There is a kit ) . I bought one a few years back for $3500 + had it shipped to me for $800 . It is a blast to drive.There is a m109a2 that you should consider (duece w/box on back)same price as m35 a2's...
    as others said chevy PU 350ci is great too.offroad dirt bikes atv...buy um all and be really prepared
    Heres' a couple of my toys
    ak9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sensible SHTF Vehicle-Good and Cheap??-duece.jpg  

Sensible SHTF Vehicle-Good and Cheap??-sunp0045.jpg  

ak9
    Feedback Score

2ndAmendican

The CUCV can be had pretty cheap on GOV liquidation.com ... there is allot to choose from all over the country. mississippi camp shelby has a pant load of um right nowhttp://www.govliquidation.com/list/c7587/lna/6.html
    ak9
    Last edited by ak9; 12-18-2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: duplicat post

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.