Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Sensible SHTF Vehicle-Good and Cheap??

Feedback Score

65 Chevy pickup. Suck it up and live through the breezy ride in the bed. Pull a trailer behind...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I like the chevy 350 idea, even thou I'm a Ford guy. Theres no arguing the point that there is about a zillion 350 chevys and trannys to go with them, and the world is awash in parts for them,oem and aftermarket, usually cheaper than the other 2 of the big three companys parts. I've seen guys rebuild turbo 350 auto trannys on a tarp out in the back yard and they ran like new.Get an older Blazer or a newer one and swap in a no electronics engine, and a non-overdrive tranny, they are MUCH easier to rebuild. You can stock up on spare parts cheap. Same line of thinking as me taking my AR instead of an AK---parts availability.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mija View Post
    65 Chevy pickup. Suck it up and live through the breezy ride in the bed. Pull a trailer behind...
    Best looking truck Chevy ever made. In my opinion.
    I havent read all the posts on this but have concidered it my self.
    My quick answer, if more than 2 or 3 people were moving out with me would be a older Jeep Cherokee.
    4x4 with a 3 to 5 inch lift. Tons of options out there for that.
    Aftermarket support is amazing. Heck my last one had a 350/TH350 and nothing but an HEI for electronics. Advance Adapters makes the mounts. Fits in nice.
    33" Super Swampers, welded rear, open front, 231 t-case.
    I would pick the Cher over a TJ or YJ because of the extended wheelbase and still narrow enough to run through the woods when needed.
    Better security with 5 locking doors.
    Full size rigs need more room to move around and are harder to hide.
    MOGs, Hummers and the like are nice. But heavy. Land Rovers are good but if you are running from something and need a part, good luck finding a Rover part.
    S Series Blazers and Jimmys are a good starting point as well but the IFS has to go.
    Last edited by CRUE CAB; 12-30-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Feedback Score

If you are wanting something with no computer chips what so ever and want lots of room, look for a Chevy or GMC Suburban without HEI. I'm partial to the 67-72 models, but the newer ones are much more common. Your best bet is get a '73-'86 and if it's '75 or newer just swap in a points distributor. Get one with either a 350 or 454 and I suggest a 3/4 ton version so you get a 14 bolt out back and a better frame.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by WV_gunner View Post
    If you are wanting something with no computer chips what so ever and want lots of room, look for a Chevy or GMC Suburban without HEI. I'm partial to the 67-72 models, but the newer ones are much more common. Your best bet is get a '73-'86 and if it's '75 or newer just swap in a points distributor. Get one with either a 350 or 454 and I suggest a 3/4 ton version so you get a 14 bolt out back and a better frame.
    Yeah, I know it's a pretty large vehicle, but I'm partial to the mid/late 60's 3/4 ton Suburban 4x4. I have found a few, but they are either basket cases, 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton, or WAY over priced.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Keep your eyes open you will find something that will work just keep some cash around, you would be suprised the deals I have gotten by have cash in hand. I will be painting my chevy K20 4x4 next month (desert camo) I'll post some pics when I'm done

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TheCol.U.S.M.C. View Post
    Keep your eyes open you will find something that will work just keep some cash around, you would be suprised the deals I have gotten by have cash in hand. I will be painting my chevy K20 4x4 next month (desert camo) I'll post some pics when I'm done
    Hell yeah. Would love to see it.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Vans would be another option, although pretty rare, Ford and Chevy vans could be had in 4x4. Even if you can't find a 4x4 model, making a 2wd into 4wd isn't impossible.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.