Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sensible SHTF Vehicle-Good and Cheap??

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Default Sensible SHTF Vehicle-Good and Cheap??

My wife and I have been discussing buying an extra vehicle whose express mission is to get us the hell outa dodge if/when things go south, and we can not maintain security at home. I may be going overboard, but I am thinking about older vehicles with no real electronics on them, that would be easy to repair and/or impervious to EMP. I know that may sound stupid, but I figure if I'm going to invest in something to help save our lives, then I want to plan for most any contingency.

Here's my list. It needs to have:

1) At least enough room for 4-6 adults, one dog, our gear, extra fuel, etc....
    2) reasonable off road capabilities, 4x4, winch, heavy bumpers, extra lighting, V-8 or turbo diesel for torque/pushing vehicles out of the way.
    3) Easy to repair/maintain.
    4) Preferably something that is or can be made EMP resistant if not completely shielded. (and no, I have no clue if that's even possible.)
    5) Would prefer an automatic due to my wife having rheumatoid arthritis, and driving a stick isn't easy for her. Not mandatory, but prefered.
    There's probably 20 other things that I can't think of right now.

Blade, or any of you have any ideas as to what might be a good fit, that doesn't cost a fortune to build/buy?

We have thought about older late '60's International Harvester, Ford Bronco, Chevy or GMC Suburban, Mercedes Unimog, military deuce and a half, etc...

Wouldn't mind a military Humvee in the right configuration, but damn they're expensive!!!!

My wife is partial to the Unimog. A friend who owns one took us for a ride, and she loved it's capabilities off road. Very simple vehicle. Diesel engine. About 2 feet of ground clearance. Minimal electrial system. Kind of like the AK of the off road world: Simple, durable, and reliable. The prices aren't too bad either. Between $5000.00 and $10,000.00 depending on year, options, and engine type. (gas or diesel)

What do you "experts" think, or what do you have for such an emergency? What am I overlooking or missing? Am I on the wrong path? Thanks for any and all info and help.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I don't know but my first choice would be couple an used ATV's with trailers. You can get out of Dodge faster and further with less fuel and without being detected as fast, and you don't need roads at all for them. A sheilding of lead flashing around the CD boxs will protect it just fine. Ya also have to keep in mind hiding them when you get to where you want to be, unimogs are awsome but huge, and that could just ruin your whole day if your detected. After all you're just trying to get to your secondary position undetected and which should be already set up anyways. Come "bug out" time speed and mobility should be your primary concerns, an ATV will do all of that for you and better. Plus there just plain DAMN FUN, till that SHTF point comes. I've driven all types of off road rigs and an ATV will get you places that nothing else will, period, unimog included. Remember ya still have to get between the trees and rocks, even a logging road can become a choke point. After all you can zip under a blow down and hide an ATV instantly, try that with a unimog or a jeep, not going to work very well, to exposed and big. ATV's are my choice. And you can get 3-4 good used smaller ATV's for the same price.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What is your budget ?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

TWA, unfortunatey with the gear, people, dog, etc.... an ATV just won't cut it. I definitely got your point, and I agree, but in my/our current situation we need something larger. If it was just me, I would definitely go the ATV route.

Col., we are trying to keep it sub $10K for sure, but preferably closer to the $5K mark "if" possible.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

If you're good at the surplus game, consider a CUCV. The electronics are minimal, it's diesel and, though not a screamer, will get you from here to there with plenty of hauling capacity.

Here's one civvy dealer offering some trucks, 100Dollarman - Trucks!
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

If you like the Unimog then check out Pinzgauers. Unfortunatly they have really gone up in price the last 5 years and this has kept me from buying one. They are just about hand built.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Needs TLC and some rust repair, Chevy "Blazer" 4X4, 6.2 diesel, no A/C on government auction in Mechanicsburg, PA: 2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

no fuel no flat tires

Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

From your first post I'd say a full sized SUV (because of the 4-6 people thing) and something made before the mid 70s because you mentioned "with no or very little elctronics", it was sometime in the mid 70s when almost all vehicles went to electronics ignition systems, before that they used points and usually had mechanical fuel pumps. With something as simple as this setup you can carry spare points and an ign coil incase of an EMP.
    Your big issue is the number of people your looking to have in the vehicle, you might have to have a trailer as well.
    Another thought would be a 4x4 van, yes they are out there or can be switched over from 2wd. It would be good for basic off road use but nothing hard core.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

no fuel no flat tires
    And if required, you can eat it
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.