Thread: Survival Preparedness for Winter Weather

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Survival Preparedness for Winter Weather

Survival Preparedness for Winter Weather

Here are a few tips to be prepared for big winter weather storms this year.

Before the winter storms hit, check the following preparedness items for your home…

If you have travel planned, at a minimum, it’s a good idea to have some or all of the following items in your car.
    • blankets (for each person), and/or sleeping bags
    • food supply (calorie-dense, at least a day’s worth, food bars are good…), and water
    • flashlight and extra batteries
    • road flares
    • snow shovel
    • road grit-salt-sand to help get out of a slippery situation
    • tire chains (if applicable to your geographical location)
    • ice scraper for windows
    • extra windshield wiper fluid
    • always have outdoor winter wear (either stowed or on your person)
    • portable NOAA weather radio to stay up to date on any warnings or advisories
    • portable CB radio, some come with NOAA channels and quick access to emergency ch.9
    • always keep plenty of gasoline in your tank
    • you can also purchase a pre-assembled emergency kit
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Nice list. Always nice to have some just in case items. Better to have it and not need than vice versa

Being a transplanted to Texas Viking a few things I used to carry with me in my trunk in addition to some of your items listed while hunting or Ice fishing in Minnesota are.
    Knife and an axe
    Emergency blanket
    Candles and a coffee can
    5 Gal Plastic Bucket
    Firestarter such as a magnesium or firesteel type
    Pan of some sort to melt snow
    Extra matches
    A small self igniting propane torch (One of the best things I've ever used to start wet tinder)

The nice thing is most of these will fit in the above 5 gallon bucket and still have room for more.

Feedback Score

May sound like a "Public Service Announcement" but its time to start thinking about winter and in-vehicle winter survival kits again...

Environment Canada is calling for a colder/snowier winter than normal in western Canada (La Nina effect) and this likely extends down into the mid-west USA. We have also seen the distress caused by last year's snowstorms that swept thru the southern US. If you MUST be on the road during bad winter weather (or even just travelling period in winter) you should have a survival kit in your vehicle. What follows is what I consider the minimum (modified from last year due to tips from this site )that should be kept in your vehicle if travelling in the winter. Snowstorms can hit just about anywhere and can wreck havoc on the highways (200 motorists stranded on a highway for 24 hours in Ontario Canada in Dec 10 during a major snowstorm and at least 1 died due to not being prepared)

Collapsible shovel (entrenching tool etc). To help dig yourself out or keep exhaust clear of snow if using heater to stay warm (carbon monoxide). If using heater to stay warm, run engine for 15-20 minutes, turn off for 20-30 minutes to stretch your fuel supply as long as possible. Remember to keep 1 window open just a crack for air circulation. By the way, can you off the top of your head say which side of your vehicle the exhaust is on???

Sandbag full of gravel, or my personal favourite, a 15 pound bag of kitty litter. To be used for traction to get unstuck;

Warm Blanket (or sleeping bag) for each vehicle occupant. If possible, all occupants should sit in back seat to utilize combined bodyheat if stranded;

Fleece top and bottoms for each occupant;

Warm hat, boots and gloves per occupant;

Flashlight and batteries - or one of the solar/crank flashlights;

10 - 12 candles (not the long skinny candles, the 1.5 inch wide, 6 inch tall ones that burn for 8-10 hours.) One of these can keep you from freezing to death in a cold vehicle. You'd be amazed at how much they warm up the air. On average, they'll raise the temp by 8 - 10 degrees F in the vehicle. They can also be used to melt snow for drinking;

Box of strike anywhere matches in a ziploc baggy;

6-12 power bars per occupant, you can be stranded for a while.....;

stainless steel mug per person. Can be used with candles to melt snow for drinking;

If you can ensure they don't freeze (ie bring them inside when not in vehicle), 3 or 4 large bottles of water;

4-6 signalling flares;

vehicle chains, particularly in mountainous regions; and

Coloured ribbon to tie to antenna.

Up here we always travel in coats and boots so I have not included on this list. Again this is what I consider the minimum, throw whatever else you want in as you see fit (toilet paper, extra ziploc baggies, a book). This easily fits into my winter survival go bag (less chains and kitty litter) and will sustain me for a minimum of 48 hours....
    Last edited by adam03; 12-16-2011 at 01:46 AM.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Good tips. Be prepared. Driving through Wyoming, all of the mentioned items, could mean the difference between life and death.
    Sitting in the warm vehicle, you don't think about it until you get stuck.
    I found long stretches of road, where if a storm hit, you could be there for days before someone came along.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yep, you got to be ready for anything.
    A few years ago we had the "Valentine's day storm", 1"+ of ice with snow on top of that, there were literally 100's of people stuck on interstate roads for days. If it wasn't for the semi-trucks stuck there with them a lot of people would have froze when their cars ran out of gas, National Guard came in and could only get a few people out at a time and were handing out MREs to the ones that had to wait.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.