Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Survival & meat

Feedback Score

Default Survival & meat

Hi guys,

We sort of 'do' survival in the UK, but more in the way of Ray Mears than total disaster survival. So this got me thinking about the different ways you guys in the US hunt. I know you guys hunt deer, I do much the same and own a large area of shooting rights where I shoot Red stags ( This beast was shot right next to my shooting area Giant red stag Exmoor Emperor shot dead | UK news | guardian.co.uk ). We don't have limits or tags or anything like that. It's down to the deer manager to structure a cull plan.
    This is an actual Roe deer I shot this year on my hunting land:

I do a lot of pigeon shooting:

And a lot of lamping for Rabbits:

And with a Whippet with the lamp:

And with Ferrets:

So it was at this point that it got me thinking, do you guys do the same?

Thanks

John

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Yes, We do the same thing in Texas. I like the fast moving Morning Dove. [65 mph]
    Lot's of Deer, and plenty of Jack rabbets, and Cotton tail rabbets. Lots of Rattlesnakes to.
    I don't Duck hunt much anymore as It's a little to cold for this old person.
    Your in my Mind, and in my Sights

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Wow! That Red stag would make a lot of knife handles!! England is a mysterious place over here. I get the impression that you have so many immigrants ( muslims) that it's amazing you have any woodlands left at all.

(I expect a lot of run down motels & liquor stores) On the other hand the wife & I have recently moved to a rural area in Missouri where our 20 acres is the smallest yard in the county & have whitetail deers crawling all over us. Most folks here still own at least a quarter section or much more.
    For fast birds we have timberdoodles.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy t View Post
    Yes, We do the same thing in Texas. I like the fast moving Morning Dove. [65 mph]
    Lot's of Deer, and plenty of Jack rabbets, and Cotton tail rabbets. Lots of Rattlesnakes to.
    I don't Duck hunt much anymore as It's a little to cold for this old person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    Wow! That Red stag would make a lot of knife handles!! England is a mysterious place over here. I get the impression that you have so many immigrants ( muslims) that it's amazing you have any woodlands left at all.
    (I expect a lot of run down motels & liquor stores)
    Do you guys "ferret" for rabbits, Snare rabbits, or just shoot rabbits? We also long net rabbits, which is a net 100 yards long that we will run out and drive the rabbits back in to with dogs. I guess my point is do you guys use what in the UK would be deemed "survival" techniques to obtain meat? Most of our hunting techniques steam from the early 1800's to very early 1900's when commoners for want of a better description were not really able to gather meat. Many of the techniques have died out but many are still in use, I guess necessity is the mother of invention.
    I used to do a lot of duck shooting or wildfowling as it's called over here but in my area most of the ducks feed from the River Taff which means the ducks tend to taste of fish more than duck.
    One really interesting thing I read was that in the US you guys eat Squirrels, in the UK squirrels are not eaten (in general) and are deemed and even called 'Tree rats'. I think it's very interesting understanding different hunting ways and methods.
    Red stage antler will make many knife handles, I have a few trophies of Royal stags that I have shot.
    We do have a major issue with immigrants but many Muslims have lived here since they were born. I am not racist by any means, I honestly believe it's the colour of a mans heart that counts not his skin or religion but what I would say on the subject is that in my experience many Muslims do not see the world as I do, which is sad and in my opinion a great many bad things have been done in the name of religion and will continue to happen until we all become wiser. It's true to say that in some areas of the UK you will not find an English speaking person. The UK is small compared to the US, I believe you could fit Wales in to Texas three times over. We call motels and liquor stores, hotels and off-licenses. The Hotel trade seems to be okay and the off-licenses are trading but kids start drinking young over here. You are an adult at 18 years old, many girls having their first kids at 17 in the UK. You will commonly see 14 year old drinking and up to no good at all in the UK. I think it is better the way things are in the US where 21 is the age of and adult.

John

Feedback Score

I had never seen ferreting for rabbits before, but it looks like lots of fun! We mainly just shoot them here but I have set simple box traps for them in the past. And hunting most anything at night (except frogs, racoons/opposums, wild hogs in some parts of the country) is illegal. What you call "lamping" we call spotlighting.
    And yes, some folks here eat the tree rats (squirrels) but its more of an aquired taste. I'd much rather have rabbit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_zero View Post
    The Hotel trade seems to be okay and the off-licenses are trading but kids start drinking young over here. You are an adult at 18 years old, many girls having their first kids at 17 in the UK. You will commonly see 14 year old drinking and up to no good at all in the UK. I think it is better the way things are in the US where 21 is the age of and adult.

John
    The 21 law has not made much difference. It's "normal" for 13 and 14 year old girls to be having kids in a lot of the inner cities here, and 14 year old drunks are also common, as well as potheads. Many schools have opened Day Care centers so the students can continue school while having their babies looked after.

"If you want to find a Virgin, start looking for an ugly 4th grader" is a joke that's funny because it's pretty close to the truth.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I use to rabbit hunt with my father and uncles when i was a child.(around 1958/1967) My dad raised beagles and they would jump the game and get them running.I had a 410 shotgun and the adults used 12ga.Haha,we would take tree rats also to add to the pot.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

My Ruger 10-22 is ready to go for dropping squirels out back for meat. Lots of them fat and ready to clean for a fest around here.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

We have 50 States, each with its own laws concerning legal hunting methods.

Nothing about ferreting is in my State's law, so I most likely CANNOT use a ferret.

Trapping is only allowed on certain animals, rabbits are NOT among them. Rabbits can only be hunted (killed with a projectile).

Furthermore, unless I am a Resident Landowner (such as a farmer) I must obtain the appropriate small game, big game, furbearer or varmint license. In either case, laws concerning "seasons" on various animals must be followed.

In a truly SHTF environment, I doubt law will really apply. In that case, any effective harvest technique would be useful.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

The UK laws are complex. We have game laws that cover animals that are considered "game", for example hares, partridges, pheasants, grouse etc. We have laws that cover wildfowl, ducks and geese, We have laws that cover Deer and then we have laws that forbid the killing of everything else. However this is where is become complex, we have what is know as "The General License", this is a list of species that we are able to kill and that are classed as vermin. Woodpigeons, although a great sporting bird are classed as vermin in UK, fox are vermin, rabbits vermin, jays, squirrels and the list goes on. To make things even more complex, certain addition laws were made, such as the rabbit clearance order and the pest act, which makes landowners liable for the damage caused by rabbits and legally responsible. Which mean every land owner has to activity try and kill all their rabbits or at least keep rabbit numbers to a low level.
    Over the years, the poor rabbit has fed many a starving family, hunting methods have evolved.
    "spotlighting" is really great sport but it is illegal to spotlight deer in the UK. The Mrs. and I were walking the dogs last night, I spotted a fox in the next field and call it to less than 10 yards away twice! Obviously I had no gun and no wish for the dogs to chase a fox, but using nothing more than the back of your hand and a spotlight it's great fun.
    Ferreting is a stable way to harvest rabbits. Here are my ferrets :

It can be done in two ways but the basic method is to place a ferret in the rabbit warren, the ferret being a natural enemy of the rabbit will chase the rabbit out of it's warren. You can then use either nets or shoot the bolting rabbits with shotguns or use Lurchers/Whippets to chase and catch the rabbits. The great thing with nets is that you can live catch the rabbits and relocate them if you wish. There is no sport like shooting bolting rabbits on a frosty morning.
    Where rabbits are a serious pest we can run long wire fences (permanent structures) with drop boxes every ten or so yards but this is only done on a commercial pest control bases in the UK. We don't have any licensing systems in place, other than gun licensing and the general license. However like most UK laws it's not a simple case of just killing an animal, you need to have a good reason and in the UK if the animal is not for food such as sheep, cows, chickens, not for sport such as game animals or not vermin then it is illegal to kill the animal. You can not just go on to any land and kill an animal, you must first gain the permission of the landowner. Our laws are convoluted and ancient with modern being cemented with ancient.
    At one point the government made it illegal to shoot animals with expanding bullets, because expanding bullets were more dangerous than FMJ. They had to change that when they found out that the Deer act stated we could only use expanding bullets to shoot deer.

I think I will have to try a Squirrel. If anyone has a good recipe they would like to share, I would be more than happy to swap for a Rabbit stew recipe.

Saddens me to think that kids are no longer kids no matter where they live. I do wonder what the world will be like in two generations time.

John

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.