Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Subculture of Americans prepares for civilization's collapse

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I think it is safe to say that I am not prepped.

I have a wife, three kids, and numerous others. We have gotten through the last year by digging into the reserves. So if TEOTWAWKI does happen in 2012....We are well and truly screwed. Have guns. Have ammo. Have plan. Have not food in sufficient quantity. Have not seeds in sufficient quantity. Have not water or ability to filter other than boiling.

My interim plans have included several 50Lb bags of rice and pinto beans. Shopping at BigLots for canned goods, and watching the weekly fliers for deals on canned foods. I am obtaining as $$$ allows. Also stocking pasta, and potato flakes, etc. Wheat and other grains are going to have to wait a bit longer since they will require packaging materials that cost 1.7X the price of the commodity that will be stored inside...

Take heed.

Procure as you can. Package and mark with contents and date. Cycle in 12-24-36 month cycles. Use what you buy, and learn how to prepare it for actual consumption. Two of my party can not handle glutens of any form....Hence the rice and beans as the priority.

BTW. Does anybody have any idea how long the shelf life is for common corn or vegetable oil? I am asking for personal experience here...Kernel? 4th? anyone???

We used to buy these kinds of oil in tins when I was a kid, but I can not find them that way now, except for olive oil. I would really like to know the shelf life for the common types in plastic containers. I can obviously read the labels, but I am looking for the reality. Temp in my AO rarely exceeds 68F.

Thoughts????
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post

BTW. Does anybody have any idea how long the shelf life is for common corn or vegetable oil? I am asking for personal experience here...Kernel? 4th? anyone???

We used to buy these kinds of oil in tins when I was a kid, but I can not find them that way now, except for olive oil. I would really like to know the shelf life for the common types in plastic containers. I can obviously read the labels, but I am looking for the reality. Temp in my AO rarely exceeds 68F.

Thoughts????
    I have no real test experiance with this but i have a can of crisco in the cabinet that was purchased at least 10 years ago and i still use, along with a large plastic bottle of vegatable oil that is at least 3 years old. I would think either of these would last nearly indefinately if stored properly, especially if unopened.

Feedback Score

Hi Ya All,

I found this thread fascinating. All my Northern school friends from days of yore think Im some kinda southern rebel feller because I own a few guns. My first guns as a young man were a 22, later a 12 gage, and then a 45 auto and a 44 magnum. I got lucky in the draw. a 22 is cheap ammo, and will always be around to be savanged. Its great for squirrel, rabbit and small game.

12 gage the same, an American Icon. 45 auto the same, millions of them made for WWI and II and millions of them and ammo in the US.

The 44 mag, not so lucky, but at least it can also shoot 44 specials.

I have narrowed down my gun buying to commonly world wide avaliable calibers and guns I have...9 mm (P-1), 9 x 18 mm (2 CZ-82's and P-64), 7.62 x 39 mm (4 sks and 1 AK) , 7,62 x 54 r (91/30, M 1944, Mn -39 and T-53) and 8 mm (24/47, Persian Mauser, K98). I have over 10,000 rounds of ammo but want to increase that to 100,000.

As for food, I stock up when its on sale. ever look at these new homes? None of em have apantry. I have a pantry and its full - 3 months worth of food and building. I want to eventually have a 2 year supply. We already have gardens, fruit and nut trees and grow the bulk of our fruits and veggies.

Next on the list is drilling a well, its a 5-10 year payout depending upon well.

Last on the list is power. I like solar and wind but its too darn expensive. I'm putting in a wood stove in the house and shed for starters. Maybe after that is all done I can figure out something for the power.

Feedback Score

I'm not into anything like this, I guess compared to you guys I'm not prepared. I don't believe in the end of the world or massive chaos. And if everything electronic shuts down, fine with me. All I need is a points distributor for my trucks and I'll be all set. I don't need computers to live. The only problem I see is if medical equipment would be affected. I do not have a room filled with food either. Or a room filled with guns and ammo, wish I did for other reasons though. I do not believe the end of the world is December this year. Many people believe that, I really have a hard time not laughing. I do have many guns and a good bit of ammo, but not for the end of the world situations. Except for an earthquake, there aren't really any natural disasters that could affect me here, and we've had like 1 that's ever been documented I believe and I was in high school and nobody could even feel it. And those that believe people will turn to zombies, I worry about you. And if this country is invaded by a foreign power, I'd like to see them try come through West Virginia. Everybody has guns, and almost everyone of them have several. If something were to ever happen, I could leave town and be in the woods in a like a minute. I know how to hunt, fish, and grow stuff. I will survive without gettIng carried away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.