Thread: Random thoughts about Preparation

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Random thoughts about Preparation

I hope you guys who are burying parts kits in PVC tubes in your back yard are planning for the "real" end of the world. Doomsday is just that - the day of doom. Sure any bubba with surplus camo pants can run around with a gun... the goal of preparation is to delay the effects on you and yours for longer than the sheeple to survive and start to rebuild. Or at least that should be the goal. Sooner or later you'll run out of food, ammo, gas, or all of the above.

Then what?

How many people know how to garden (farm) for food? Build a greenhouse?

How many people know how to hunt for food? Fish? Trap?

Water source? Have a well or nearby body of water? Water filtration? Manual well pump? Ever make a solar still?

Have enough duct tape?

Chain saw oil? Gas for a chain saw?

Long-burn candles? Fire-starting supplies?

What about medical care? Who REALLY knows how to set a bone or stitch a wound?

Fight infection after the meds run out? Can you really make Vodka on a still with supplies from the local feed store? And will it really fight infection? I don't know... it sound reasonable.

What about diabetic medicine? Read a book once where it was alluded that you can harvest something from farm animals to make insulin, but no details. How many have a 10 year supply of insulin? Can you even store it that long?

Have stuff to barter with? How will you obtain supplies from others if the economy suddenly becomes like Jamaica?

Yeah I know it pays in the long run to be prudent. I worry that we don't spend enough time on the short-term things. If you can't survive long enough to let the long-term things support you then you are boned before you start. Got to make it out of the gate to run the race

Here's where I am going - what about short-term survivability? How many are debt free? If things BEGIN to go from bad to worse, it will START with finances. How many would be crippled by their CC bills? Turned out of their house? Car reposessed? Yeah, I'm actively working on debt reduction and hope to be clear within 18 months. YES - debt free (besides mortgage) in 18 months!

Food for thought.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Good post hc..

Yes. Down here in "hurricane alley" we have too learn short term survival.
    Last small storm, took out the power for 10 days.
    Power companies came from all over too help..
    Most sought after item "Ice."
    We were able too obtain perisable foods. But without ice, they had too be eaten rather quickly.
    Interesting that out here in the swamps. Everyone kind of pulled together.
    After about day eight, I started getting visions of my cats on the grill.
    Thank God, for them, power was restored.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I was without power for about four weeks and I live out in the sticks of Loxahatchee if we did not have preperations in place we would have been screwed! We do not have city water so we had to run on generator for 4 weeks.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile I feel your pain.. bulrich

Quote Originally Posted by bulrich View Post
    I was without power for about four weeks and I live out in the sticks of Loxahatchee if we did not have preperations in place we would have been screwed! We do not have city water so we had to run on generator for 4 weeks.
    Contractor friend of mine has a dozen generators.
    I could care less about power.
    Damn girl friend wanted her T.V.... Waaah wahhhh waaah.
    So he brings me two.
    Damn wires eveywhere.
    Now I have the only cold beer in the damn swamp..
    Door wide open..
    "Get out of my damn beer you damn swamp rats, or I will kick your ass."
    Eat the damn food. Leave my damn beer alone.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

jrs
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Eat the damn food. Leave my damn beer alone.
    Glad to see you have your priorities in order, Tim.
    jrs
    --
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.", Will Durant

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", Edmund Burke

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yep, been outta work for months and years at a time. Had a wife who had cancer for 5 years before she passed away. If not for our preps and savings I don't know how we would have coped. Stocking up on nonperishable foods, basic necessities, etc. has served me well over the years. The closer I get to retirement I expect to be living off my preps again for several years as I draw down my IRAs and 401k and my other savings (silver and gold). I hope to supplement my food with fresh game on my lands around Yellowstone. Thankfully I have no debt (just don't believe in it). I look at prepping as just another form of insurance - like medical insurance, home insurance, auto insurance, life insurance, etc.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Debt....

Yes yes yes I have perfect credit.
    Yes I pay my bills on time.
    But, a point too ponder.
    If their is a major crash, which I pray does not happen.
    Does anyone really think people in debt, are going too get their doors kicked in and heaved on the street??
    Yes it is happening on a small scale now.
    But a major financial collapse, is not going too see the banks kicking your doors in.
    Their going too be locking their doors and heading for the hills.
    Watch the U.S. debt clock. Our Govt. will show you how too get in debt.
    Being debt free is great..
    But it is very low on my list of priorties, campared too other supplies.
    They will pry my last beer from my cold dead hands.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.