Thread: Cluster of Deaths Following Flu-Like Symptoms in Calvert County

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Cluster of Deaths Following Flu-Like Symptoms in Calvert County

Cluster of Deaths Following Flu-Like Symptoms in Calvert County

The Calvert County Health Department is investigating a cluster of deaths following respiratory illnesses in the Lusby area.

The county health department told News4 four family members who live near the Calvert Cliffs nuclear facility fell ill with an unidentified respiratory illness at the end of February, and three died this month.

Preliminary tests at the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Laboratories Administration found that two of the deceased had the flu and may have been complicated by bacterial co-infection.

An 81-year-old woman was the first to become sick, in late February. The woman's three adult children, two daughters and a son, traveled to her home to care for her. Subsquently, they became sick with similar health problems.

According to the health department, the 81-year-old who died presented symptoms of respiratory illness Feb. 23 and died March 1. The children showed symptoms around Feb. 28 and were hospitalized in critical condition. Several days later, the 58-year-old son and the 56-year-old daughter died, and the third daughter remains hospitalized.

One of the bodies was taken to Baltimore for an autopsy, Maryland Medical Examiner David Fowler said.

Health officer David Rogers, in a statement released March 6, said the county health department does not believe the illness represents a widespread health threat. Health officials have not recommended protective actions for the general public.

"The cases appear to be confined to a single family," Rogers wrote, "and there are currently no other affected individuals at this time. CCHD is not recommending any protective actions for the general public."

In an earlier statement, the county erroneously reported four deaths.

The department recommends people with flu-like symptoms like fever, cough or sore throat contact their doctors to see if they would benefit from antiviral or other medications. Currently, county health officials are not advising any specific preventive measures.

CCHD sent a message to area residents to say it was working together with health care providers to monitor the situation and determine a cause for the respiratory illness. A spokesperson told News4 the victims' proximity to the power plant was not believed to be a factor.

Monday afternoon, a crew of health workers dressed in hazardous material suits entered the woman's house and collected more samples for testing.

Cluster of Deaths Following Flu-Like Symptoms in Calvert County | NBC4 Washington

Black Blade: This could get interesting. Hopefully they have it contained. Could be that the elderly woman is "Patient Zero" - "Day One". Good catch by the health department I hope.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default UPDATE

Update on Calvert County Respiratory Illness Investigation

PRESS RELEASE

Health Officer
    DATE: March 7, 2012, 8:45 am

Initial testing of two of four family members in Lusby, three of whom have died, suggests that that the serious lung infection suffered by all four was a complication of seasonal flu. A fourth family member remains hospitalized at Washington Hospital Center and is improving.

Samples have been sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta for further testing.

These cases of serious lung infection were isolated to a single family and there are currently no other affected individuals. Local healthcare providers are not reporting any significant increase in patients with flu-like symptoms.

The illnesses in these family members began with an 81-year-old Lusby woman who developed respiratory symptoms at her home beginning on or about February 23, 2012. She was cared for at home by three of her children, a son and two daughters. The caregivers developed similar respiratory symptoms on or about February 28, 2012. The mother died at home on March 1, 2012. Following her death the three children were hospitalized. Subsequently the 58-year-old son and a 56-year-old daughter died.

Calvert County Health Department

Black Blade: I thought people generally didn't die from "seasonal flu". Kind of like getting a cold maybe but not wipe out a family. WTF??? When people enter a home wearing HAZMAT suits I think that would get some attention form neighbors. Hmmm...
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

Most flu deaths are the eldery, very young children, and people with other health problems complicated by the flu. Most ppl that say they have the flu actually just have a bad cold. Generally if you have the flu, even seasonal, you will not be up walking around. Don't know why they would be going into the house with haz mat suits, as the flu is contagious person to person and doesn't linger in the air. Even catching the flu virus from touching a recently infected surface (door handles, faucets, remote controls, etc.) can be avoided simply by not touching your face and washing your hands. Unless they thought something else was there?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by withers.45 View Post
    Most flu deaths are the eldery, very young children, and people with other health problems complicated by the flu. Most ppl that say they have the flu actually just have a bad cold. Generally if you have the flu, even seasonal, you will not be up walking around.
    Boy you got that right! I was incapacitated for 3 days - and I mean INCAPACITATED - with the Flu this year. Thought it was food poisoning, but after vomiting 10 times in about 10 hours overnight, and no sleep, went to the ER. Sure enough, it was "JUST" the Flu. I lost enough liquid that they put me on an IV and I went through the whole bag in about an hour I think it was. Very groggy so it was probably longer. Now I understand why the Flu is such a problem in 3rd world countries with no clean water. The Flu (and resultant vomiting/dhiarrea) CAN kill you through dehydration if you can't get enough liquid into you. Thank God we have hospitals everywhere to treat you if you do get the Flu! Gatorade is your friend!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.