Thread: Long term ammo storage

Feedback Score

Default Long term ammo storage

I was looking around for the best way to store ammo for a long time. I have a lot of 30cal ammo cans which are water and air proof, if the seal is good. If i place losse ammo in the can and then add a couple 2000cc oxygen obsorbers will that protect the ammo for long term?

I see posts about putting the ammo in mylar bags then sealing them with O2 absorbers but I haven;t heard about just straight into a can with O2's

any ideas

this will be stacked deep in the ground
    Officer...The devil made me do it.....thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I don't see an issue putting those oxygen or even moisture absorbers in with the ammo

this will be stacked deep in the ground
    But if your just going to put the can right into the ground I'd worry about the can(s) rusting from the outside in. If your not going to protect the can, you might want to put the ammo in something else, like PVC pipe ot something like that.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Feedback Score

Sealed ammo can or mylar bags put into plastic bins to keep moist air away from them is all you need. I have nearly half of my ammo in ammo cans and the rest in rubber Maid bins except for the amount I keep out in my ammo locker for ready use. Just don't let it get overly hot or freezing cold and they will last longer than you will.
    Life Member of Wisconsin Libertarians, WGO, GOA, JPFO, NRA, American Legion and VFW

Women are pretty but guns, dogs and mules have never lied to me

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

all the above advice is spot on just make sure the ammo can or cans are rust free and the seals fit tight.
    if unsure fill a tub or use a swimming pool hold the can down with heavy weight retrieve in a few hours, if any moisture, the can has a poor seal. I love when they are are for sale at shows and guys just grab them pay and off they go. I have found cans with rust on the inside, moisture on the inside, all my ammo cans have desicants and I don't store ammo in anything but ammo cans
    I am sure large tupperware would work just fine

these cans are getting expensive, get them while you can I understand the gov't in not releasing them anymore.

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Keep it dry and as cool as practical - that is, don't put your ammo stash in the attic or any place that gets much hotter than your house.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

No one will get away with burying those cans for any longer than a couple years.
    Those suckers decay fast underground. Don't do it.
    Plastic bins collapse from the weight of the dirt over time. Don't do it.
    You stated that they are 30cal cans. (the smaller ones)
    Toss a couple 02 absorbers in the cans, spent hand warmers work too.
    I don't like loose rounds in the can because some one would be stuck carrying that noisy ass can. Plus it's going to get knocked over while it's open.
    Buy the GI mag bags (nsn-1005001938306)and duck tape the perforated line, count out 90 rounds into each bag.
    Here's the bag your after. I do not know this vendor, I bought mine from Midway.EVA Magazine Protective Bag Pack of 50

For strategically placed grab and go caches;

Two 30 Cal cans fit into a 5 gallon bucket with enough dead air space for o2 absorbers and you'll have space at the top for other essentials. Ziplocks w/ rice work for absorption plus you can eat the rice later.
    Buy the lids that have a o-ring seal and for good measure use caulk or silicone too.
    Paint buckets from your local painters and contractors usually have them and these guys will give them away if you don't mind cleaning them out.

Anything that you put in the ground is very difficult to 'pull' back out. The ground settles and locks it in tight.
    Upon retrieval, if you are in a hurry you wont have to dig the whole bucket out because you can dig down to the lid and then just cut the lid, pull your gear and beat feet.
    Last edited by tanvil; 03-18-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.