Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gamma Seals and storage buckets

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well yes and no. They aren't going to provide anything the original rubber gasket hammer-on lids give you if you're talking about long-term storage. I'm not looking to use these for super-long-term storage however. Right now we're keeping lots of stuff in dry storage in the garage since we only have so much closet space.

The stuff in the garage I don't need to keep in ammo cans (like brass to reload) goes into 5-gallon buckets. And I use those enough that the hammer-on lids became a hindrance. My 5-gallon buckets brass (one of .45 ACP and one of .40) is almost full, so it is nice to have the ability to screw on/off the lid when I get another handful from range visits. Way too much to keep in ammo cans
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Just to add some spice to this thread.

I bought a bunch of the Gamma lids back in 1998-1999. I stored Rice, Beans, spices, etc. in them with the gamma lids. The rice and beans were just left in the 5-10 lb. bags that they came in. The spices were vacuum sealed using a kitchen vacuum unit. Into the pails in 1998-1999 it all went, then into the garage (S. Cal, so never gets over 80f.).

We just finished the last of the rice (we opened these in 2010, so 11 years old by that point), and compared the rice, beans, spices, etc. to "fresh" product. No difference in taste, texture, etc. I think that age helps some beans, like pintos and peas. Just to head everyone off, no O2 absorbers either.

So, the exculpatory statement "This was in So. Cal., the temp and humidity is not that bad here. Your results may differ".

I have decided to keep random gear like batteries and the like in these round 5 gal buckets w/ gamma lids, and move the long term food like rice, beans, etc over to the square buckets. I also plan to buy extra square lids just in case so that the buckets could be re-used if needed. The squares do store in about 25-30% less space, and the bags that you buy the grain in fit pretty good.

I am also moving toward the Whole Nutrition bucketing system, where you pack a bucket with say, rice, beans, canned meats, powdered eggs, oatmeal, vitamins, etc. The idea is that one bucket will last one week for a family of 5. That is just 50% over starvation rations, so about 1800 calories a day. But with little activity, it will suffice. As time goes on, I will add to it to improve the diet to 3600 per day. The initial plan is 2 months, and then extending to 6 months, etc. My biggest fear is water. 1/2 gallon per day is the target, per person, so 2.5 gallons per day, 90 gallons per month. Again, near starvation levels.

Sadly, the recent demise of my sister has provided a monetary boost to assist me in getting things back on track. The sadness is that I would trade it all away for another 10 minutes with her. Even if I had won the big lotto, I would trade that as well. Take a minute, all of you who read this to think on this...And take a few minutes more to tell all of your family and friends how much you love them, and how much you care. Life is too short. Leave nothing unsaid. Leave nothing undone.

I want to give a special shout-out to those who bought stuff from me in the past few months. Because of your kindness, I was able to be with my sister for a day before she passed, and we had a good talk. I am not able to do much right now, but all of you have a chip from me that you can cash at some point in the future if you have need. Thank you.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    Thats so appropriate that you posted this info HC, as I'm in the middle of putting together a water filtration system that needs the buckets and gamma seals. I'd rather buy local if possible. I have to get the filter system from Cheaper Than Dirt, but I really didn't want to have to get the buckets/seals from them if I didn't have to. Should be able to put it all together for under $75.00, which is WAY cheaper than a comparable Big Berkey system.
    Let us know how the filter system works will you?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've heard good things about the water filtration systems that CTD sells, but was told they were avalible cheaper other places after you figure in shipping, there shipping is OUCH!!!! Sorry I don't remember just where they were avalible. But I guess they work quite well. Sure beats one of the small persional filter systems, output wise. Definatly water would be an issue in times of an emergency unless you have your own free flowing spring or solar powered water pump. If your depending on dehdyrated chow, the water consumption could go much higher per person/per day. Just for informational porpoues,I had some dehydrated stuff stashed in my reloading room for future hiking/backountry trips, and emergencys and the red squirrels chewed a small hole in the side of the 5gal buckets and made a mess of my stocks, I was really pissed. The Mountian house is about 5-6 bucks each now and they riuned at least 40 packets of it, DOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!! I was pissed!! NOW, Let me see them get through those 20mm cans!! Friggin varmits!!!! They also chewed through the plastic storage bin I had my sleeping bags in and ruined those too, anouther $350 worth of gear gone not counting the chow! I'm still finding feathers and Mt House wrappers stashed in every hidden corner of the middle building. One good thing though, I've got plenty of BIG FAT red squirrels to practice on now!!! They wintered over Very Well!!! @&*%$#&* Don't let this happen to you. Just my advice from my experiances with plastic storage bins/cans/buckets.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BBill View Post
    Let us know how the filter system works will you?

Will do Bill.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twa2471 View Post
    The only bad thing about using them for food is that critters can chew through a 5 gallon bucket like nothing, not so with ammo cans. Any thing from a mouse to a bear can get through them easy. 20mm cans would be my first choice and is for my storage needs. Lets see them chew through those!! But I do like those tops and 5 gallon buckets for some things.

That Sucks! I would not have thought of that even being possible. For once, I am glad that I live in The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, where saber-toothed Squirrels are banned!
    Imagine whirled peas

Bellson

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    Just to add some spice to this thread.

I bought a bunch of the Gamma lids back in 1998-1999. I stored Rice, Beans, spices, etc. in them with the gamma lids. The rice and beans were just left in the 5-10 lb. bags that they came in. The spices were vacuum sealed using a kitchen vacuum unit. Into the pails in 1998-1999 it all went, then into the garage (S. Cal, so never gets over 80f.).

We just finished the last of the rice (we opened these in 2010, so 11 years old by that point), and compared the rice, beans, spices, etc. to "fresh" product. No difference in taste, texture, etc. I think that age helps some beans, like pintos and peas. Just to head everyone off, no O2 absorbers either.

So, the exculpatory statement "This was in So. Cal., the temp and humidity is not that bad here. Your results may differ".

I have decided to keep random gear like batteries and the like in these round 5 gal buckets w/ gamma lids, and move the long term food like rice, beans, etc over to the square buckets. I also plan to buy extra square lids just in case so that the buckets could be re-used if needed. The squares do store in about 25-30% less space, and the bags that you buy the grain in fit pretty good.

I am also moving toward the Whole Nutrition bucketing system, where you pack a bucket with say, rice, beans, canned meats, powdered eggs, oatmeal, vitamins, etc. The idea is that one bucket will last one week for a family of 5. That is just 50% over starvation rations, so about 1800 calories a day. But with little activity, it will suffice. As time goes on, I will add to it to improve the diet to 3600 per day. The initial plan is 2 months, and then extending to 6 months, etc. My biggest fear is water. 1/2 gallon per day is the target, per person, so 2.5 gallons per day, 90 gallons per month. Again, near starvation levels.

Sadly, the recent demise of my sister has provided a monetary boost to assist me in getting things back on track. The sadness is that I would trade it all away for another 10 minutes with her. Even if I had won the big lotto, I would trade that as well. Take a minute, all of you who read this to think on this...And take a few minutes more to tell all of your family and friends how much you love them, and how much you care. Life is too short. Leave nothing unsaid. Leave nothing undone.

I want to give a special shout-out to those who bought stuff from me in the past few months. Because of your kindness, I was able to be with my sister for a day before she passed, and we had a good talk. I am not able to do much right now, but all of you have a chip from me that you can cash at some point in the future if you have need. Thank you.
    Bellson - I hear you about long term food storage. I have some rice that I just put into foodsaver bags and vacuum packed in 2008 and I'm still eating on it and it tastes fine/the same as fresh. Of course I had/have it stored in an area with no mice/squirrels, etc.

Also my sympathies on the loss of your sister. I know what it is like to lose a sibling, and would gladly trade many things to be able to be with them longer.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

bellson, after all the GOOD EATS this winter they WERE just about "saber tooth red squierrels!!!!!" 8(*^@@&()))^%@!%^** Varmits!!! I think the 30-30 might be comming back out!! To be honest I was surprised they got into stuff too. Worst part was the loss of my new North Face -20 and +20 Lowe Alpine bags!!!! Luckly they only made a small hole in the corner of my North Face 4 season expadition tent, phewwwwww, must be they don't like "Camp Dry"!! Good thing, that tent would be more to replace than both bags put together, Plussssss! I've got a 63 Dunphy 22' wooden boat and they made a mess in there too, mostly nests, and of course GOOSE DOWN + MT HOUSE WRAPPERS!!! DOWWWWWW %$@@#%^^(()*(*$%^^& Critters. Where did I put that dang blasted box of 30-30 shells???? It's Thems,,,,, or me, I'm going in folks,,,,,,, wish me luck!!!!! THIS IS WAR!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Hi TWA,

Just don't go all Bill Murry on us....

I was talking with my buddy who lives on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. They have issue there with squirrels and other rodents. His answer was simple, and I thought it might be a good one for you:

Feed them. Start with corn piles in the back yard in an open area. Then fence the area, no gate. Then cover the fenced area, no gate. Then install a crawl tunnel that traps them. Then look up some old time squirrel stew recipes, and invite your buds over to help you dispatch and cook them....

Then, EAT!

This is what God intended. As King, I declare a special 364 day hunting season on Squirrels. They get Christmas off, and leap day every fourth year.. Sorry, gotta keep the Unions happy.
    Imagine whirled peas

Bellson

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sniper69 View Post
    Bellson - I hear you about long term food storage. I have some rice that I just put into foodsaver bags and vacuum packed in 2008 and I'm still eating on it and it tastes fine/the same as fresh. Of course I had/have it stored in an area with no mice/squirrels, etc.

Also my sympathies on the loss of your sister. I know what it is like to lose a sibling, and would gladly trade many things to be able to be with them longer.

Thanks Bud... She is in a much better place now. This is how I like to remember her...Taken in 1968 when we lived in Holland.

Now Mom looks after her again.

One thing that I saw on the Doomsday series was kinda cool. One of the guys on the show cleans out 2 liter pop bottles, dries them, and then stores rice and beans in them. I think that would work pretty well. He then stacks them on their sides against a wall. Pretty good idea I thought.
    Imagine whirled peas

Bellson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.