Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gamma Seals and storage buckets

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Gamma Seals and storage buckets

As you probably know I am a big fan of Gamma Seals. I am talking about those screw-on lids w/ gaskets that turn a 5 gallon bucket into a watertight sealed container. CHEAP storage alternative to ammo cans!

I wanted to post that Home Depot now carries them in their stores, so if you only need 1 or 2 you don't have to mail order them. Not as cheap as mail order but awful convenient! I've found them really cheap online if you do some digging and don't mind buying in 6-packs. The freckleface.com site has been the cheapest for me so far.

Of interest - I read that the chemicals used to make the black buckets are NOT food-grade, so keep that in mind. The other colors all appear to be food-grade; it is only the black buckets that are not listed as food-grade.

I recently found that these lids work for any buckets with the same size lid, which range in size from 3.5 gallons to 6 gallons. I have PLENTY of 5 gallon buckets. I would be curious to know where I can salvage 3.5 gallon buckets and still have them food-grade?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The only bad thing about using them for food is that critters can chew through a 5 gallon bucket like nothing, not so with ammo cans. Any thing from a mouse to a bear can get through them easy. 20mm cans would be my first choice and is for my storage needs. Lets see them chew through those!! But I do like those tops and 5 gallon buckets for some things.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Huh, I never head of critters chewing through that thick plastic before but I suppose anything is possible. I can't seem to find a good salvageable source for 3.5 gallon buckets so I suppose I'm going to have to buy them mail order. I have enough little things I wish to store that a 5 gallon bucket is really too big. Only so much room in the garage for buckets

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Thats so appropriate that you posted this info HC, as I'm in the middle of putting together a water filtration system that needs the buckets and gamma seals. I'd rather buy local if possible. I have to get the filter system from Cheaper Than Dirt, but I really didn't want to have to get the buckets/seals from them if I didn't have to. Should be able to put it all together for under $75.00, which is WAY cheaper than a comparable Big Berkey system.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

The Gamma Seals look pretty neat. I like to store stuff in 5 gal. buckets. Have to get me some of those. And YES critters will eat thru the plastic buckets! Used to store dog food in a big bucket and the rats would eat thru it! Also seen the coons chew thru some plastic deer feeder buckets.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I got a small, odd sized bucket the other day from the local donut shop. Looking at the bottom it says it is 4 1/4 Gal. size. (I thought it looked short).

Apparently all the frosting they use comes in these as a dry powder.
    "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
    - Thomas Alva Edison
    |> Military training/history DVDs: www.loose-cannon.com/military
    Latest eBook: Build Your Own AK: Vol. II

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

aLL OF MY PAILS ARE FROM CARPET GLUE.& hYD OIL...PROBABLY NOT GOOD FOR FOOD.??
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Anouther bad thing with buckets, there round not square or rectanular so theres allot of wasted space between them when you stack them up, not so with ammo cans, and they lock together too, with the 4 tabs on the corners of the top locking it to the bottom of the one above it, and fewer voids very efficiant.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've been looking at Gamma lids for awhile.

I guess I'm not sure where they fit in.

On one hand, they're airtight and easy (easier) to get on/off compared to the standard lids.

The standard lids are airtight.

If you're storing food for 10-15 years, who cares how easy the lid comes off/goes on? It's not like you're going to be accessing the bucket daily.

Is my logic good?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yeah, your logic is sound Eyegun. A few for the buckets you might need quick access to in an emergency makes sense, as do several "spare" ones to install as needed so you can access a bucket you are currently using. Buying them for all 24 buckets of wheat you are storing seems like an unneeded expense. When your first bucket is empty, pop the normal top off #2 and transfer the contents to #1 or swap lids.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.