Gunco Forums banner

SOF type Good Read

895 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  railbuggy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Interesting Not not long after comming back from Nam 3-4 of my squad, myself included, were approched outside Ft Hood by people serching for mercs to protect Rodesian plantations. This was back in 72 and I was all fine with not signing on. Even though the money was huge, they were offering 1200 per week back when you could buy a new car for 2500, It was tempting to be sure, but we all passed. To bad all of these efforts couldn't be put to better use, imagine if all these efforts and $ expended had been used for good instead of greed. I'm sure things would be much different now. Who knows, there's always a wanta be dictator/ war lords or what ever learking around just below the surface.

#3 ·
SOF magazine came out in 1975 while I was a active duty Marine.I ordered the magazine and read about Rhodesia,a country I had never known about.
(Be a Man among Men) the add said.I looked into it,but in 1978,the US government threat of jail and fines keep me home.

Soldier of Fortune’s Robert K. Brown By Ward Churchill

It seems the US dislikes its people fighting for other countrys.

#4 ·
Yea railbuggy. That was one of the few places you could find access to parts and cool guns back in the day. It was hell to find the things we have now,, back then. That explains why all the Mauser, Springfields, a mountian of Enfields, and last but not least, and my first true love, the 1911,, builds I've done in the past. We didn't have all this cool shit back in the day, yea we had our Garands, but dump a K of ammo through that and compair them to x39 now!! Big difference. I ain't getting any younger ya know, hurts more now days. Did you guys use them or the M14's?

#5 ·
Did you guys use them or the M14's?

Bootcamp PI=M16
Camp Pendleton,Adv,Infantry training=M16
Sea School,Portsmouth,Va=M14
Sea Duty,USS Littlerock CG-4,Com Sixth Fleet=M14with happy switch.
Yorktown Naval Weapons Station,Yorktown Va= M14
3/3/74to3/3/78

Attachments

#6 ·
Yea I thought the 14 was yor issue, wasn't sure, especally the one with the happy switch!!! He Haw!!! I like um!! I've had a chance to play with one a few times and they ARE FUN!! I humped a 60, a double edged sword though, a bitch to hump but a joy to snuggle down behind when the shit hit the fan!! OH YEA!! Also carried a 12 ga mares leg 12" over all with flechetts, a 45 duty 2nd tour, custom 1911 built by my Dad, a 357snubbie and a 38 airweight, or dective spl,??? don't remember which? Acually both, just different tours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.