Thread: Hey Black Blade...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Question Hey Black Blade...

Storage Containers For Sale From Florida Shores Truck Center

You, or anyone, have one of these?
    Was thinking about getting one.
    Great for our Florida swamps here. Hell if I dig a foot down I hit water.
    Watched the "prepper show" last night.
    Lot of people buying them..
    Their selling from $1,500 too $5,000 delivered.
    Any links on setting one up for long term survival?
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I've read a few trheads on other sites where some guys were using containers to build underground storage/bunkers/housing etc. I figure I'll probably pass as I am more into buying raw rural land for hunting and fishing and to be close to cache sites. Seems to be a good idea to use containers for some people and their results look good. One problem seems to be a weak structure (mostly roof) where some work needs to be done if used as a buried structure but some appear to have overcome that. If I run across the thread again I will try to remember to provide links here.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Pretty cool thread on whenshtf.com, ill look for the link... some people have built some pretty cool houses and what not from them.

What a little creativity can do

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

There was a man& wife up the road from us in Punta Gorda who had one in yard not anchored. The got in it for Hurricane Charley & what was left of them, looked like they had been through a blender. Not pretty. 275 mph wind was tooo much.
    I would like a couple though.......
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Posthumous View Post
    Pretty cool thread on whenshtf.com, ill look for the link... some people have built some pretty cool houses and what not from them.

I'm a member there also and was just there looking for a link.Beat me to it.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

There's a guy near here that used them for a garage/ tractor shed, by making a U shape then putting a conventional metal roof on and regular garage doors from the old garage. It's pretty damn nice and didn't cost as much as normal construction methods would. Looks like it will be pretty maintaince free too by the looks. If I remember right I think he said he had a total of about a bit over 10K total in it,counting the heating system, but he did his own hauling. He used the 40 footers for it and already had a pad from the old garage. So he had some savings to start with, but still a bit over 10K is pretty damn cheap over all considering he had 1200 in the furnace and duct work. Looks pretty good to and very tight. Two he opened up the sides on, the other he left as is and utilized the original doors and added a regular door for access from the inside. That's his work shop area.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Posthumous View Post

That is awsome Mr Posthumous..
    They explain a bit in the link I put up, some you pay more for. I guess some have wood roofs, some all metal.
    Think??? The shipping companies only use these a few times and get new ones.
    Why I do not know?
    My buddy was going too build houses in Cambodia with them.
    Govt. is so crooked there, he had problems.
    Now he started a PVC tent blow up thing. Puts a slab down, plumbing, electric set-up, etc..
    Blows up the tent and injects concrete.
    Like an Eskimo house.
    Inexpensive and the locals loved it.
    Last time he was home.
    "Crooked SOB Govt. liked it so much. They stole my idea."
    Pol Pots X boys have guns. They run the Govt. in Cambodia.
    They like, they take.

Found it..
    Something like this he was building.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

There are so many containers here because they are cheap to produce overseas and with the trade deficit there are a lot more loaded ones coming than loaded ones going back. I guess it's cheaper to leave the older ones here and buy a new one than haul them back. Also, they get a hole or something in them, you're paying "Bona Fide Union Laborers" to weld a patch over it, that patch probably costs 3 times what the container runs new in Shanghai.

It's just a big metal box, and the corners have sockets that attach them to each other or the trailer, stacking them is easy with the right equipment. A bunch of steel welded to the exterior would reinforce them to be buried, look at the "Doomsday Bunkers" they build on the TV, you could have the same or better for less than 1/4 of their prices.... Some rebar, mesh, and concrete and they are pretty much proof against most people without explosives. Spot weld some studs to the walls and use those to fasten 2X4s to the walls, throw on some wallboard and from the inside you'd never know what it was made out of.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I bought a 40 footer about 5 years ago. It's all steel (wood floor) and can't say anything bad about it. Water tight and sturdy. Using it for storage which reminds me of a need for a yard sale. Payed $1900 at the time. Cheaper now I'm sure since slower world trade seems to be the norm. One other thing: haven't been to that When site since the System Check bug jumped me.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.