Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate long term storage.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Default Chocolate long term storage.

Im sure some are thinking there are better things to long term store. Well I and my kids like chocolate, like brownies, chocolate chips ect.
    Whats the best way to store these long term?
    Anybody done it.
    Im assuming that brownie mix in its dry form can be stored like everything else dry, mylar bag and 02 absorber, 5 gallon bucket

What about Chocolate chips.
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I don't know?

That kind of stuff never lasts very long around here.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I once took a factory tour of the Whetstone chocolate factory in St Augustine. The tour guide explained that chocolate has an indefinate shelf life. Often when we see chocolate that has what looks like a biege colored "frosting" covering over it, this is simply the seperation of the coco butter, but does no harm. So as long as the chocolate does not melt, and is not eaten by either man or beast, it should be able to be stored in any manner. As for brownie mix, that is such a melange of incredients, I think it would be best vacuum packed with an oxygen absorber in it.
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Found this
    Got your cocoa yet?.
    Page two gets better.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Chocolate in candy form seems to last quite a long time. I have some first or second generation MREs from the early 1980s that a friend stored in his garage. Temp swings from below freezing to summer baking. 80s vintage M&Ms tasted a bit "stale" but otherwise were pretty good. Stored in an oxygen free environment and I bet they would have tasted brand new. Hershey chocolate bars, OTOH, looked a bit waxy from the cocoa butter seperation but had more of a bitter taste to them. Still edible though, just not as sweet as you would expect.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hershey use to make a candy bar they called "Tropical Chocolate" which was issued from WW II to Vietnam. It would not melt as readily as their regular product. It was often included in survival kits in the past. It was then re-issued in the Gulf Wars; and then surplus bars were packaged as the " Desert Bar", I think it flopped and was not well received by the public. I have not seen it lately and am not sure they still produce it.
    Last edited by Chiroone; 05-07-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gunco View Post
    Im sure some are thinking there are better things to long term store. Well I and my kids like chocolate, like brownies, chocolate chips ect.
    Whats the best way to store these long term?
    Anybody done it.
    Im assuming that brownie mix in its dry form can be stored like everything else dry, mylar bag and 02 absorber, 5 gallon bucket

What about Chocolate chips.
    Visit one of the companies that make, or made "C Rats."
    Whatever chemicals they put in them, the real rats would not even eat them.
    Dogs refused them.
    Never saw chocolate. But get the chemical they used.
    It will last till the next ice age.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chiroone View Post
    Hershey use to make a candy bar they called "Tropical Chocolate" which was issued from WW II to Vietnam. It would not melt as readily as their regular product. It was often included in survival kits in the past. It was then re-issued in the Gulf Wars; and then surplus bars were packaged as the " Desert Bar", I think it flopped and was not well received by the public. I have seen it lately and am not sure they still produce it.
    1 year only on the desert bar.

Hershey Community Archives | Hershey's Tropical Chocolate Bar

IIRC, they also made an "emergency ration" for WWII that was supposed to taste bad so GIs wouldn't eat them unless they had no other choice. They just changed the proportions in the recipe, which was an improvement over the previous emergency ration that used turpentine as the "flavor de-enhancer".

There was also a "lemon flavored drink powder" issued in WWII rations, I suppose the purpose was something like Gatorade. Rumor has it the GIs hated it and the military hospitals collected all the packets and used them as a floor disinfectant cleaner.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

"Floor disinfectant cleaner"
    That had to be some bad stuff kernel, if hungry thirsty G.I.s would not touch it.
    Damn I am getting old. But I remember when the "LRRP" Long range recon patrol rations came out.
    Great idea, weight saver just add water.
    We could not get them. Just "C rats."
    Too the food processors credit, they are creating better long term food items.
    I tried too cook some "MREs" but screwed up and used a cooking pot.
    O.K. so I am stupid, I read the directions after I started.
    Not bad, but I am sure after a month of those, yuk.
    Chocolate, if they wanted, I would bet they could get the rite mix for super long use.
    Good whole grain rice, to me, is still one of the best survival foods.
    Kept dry it sure will last.
    Add a few critters of your choice, some green plants and you can last a long time with rice.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Karl

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.