Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wise dehydrated food??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Wise dehydrated food??

I'd mentioned in a couple of posts that I was thinking of stocking up on some of the Wise dehydrated stuff. I'm thinking 1 entree bucket, 1 veggie bucket , and 1 meat selection bucket and possibly a fruit selection one all in the 60 serving sizes. That should be a pretty good supply upgrade sense I've got tons of normal canned stuff already. I also plan on useing it for camping/hiking/hunting trips and just wondered how it was.

Have any of you had any experiances with it??? I like the Mt House stuff but it's pretty spendy and was wondering how the Wise products are in comparrison? I haven't found any singles around here to try out so I just don't know. And I haven't seen anyone compaire them before on line reveiws,, whats the good word on them?? Anybody know??

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Wise had a booth at the gunshow in Del Mar a few weekends back, had the chow hydrated and warmed for people to try. i didnt partake, but it didnt smell too bad!

I have a bucket of the entree servings, maybe ill get another one sometime and bust it open and try one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Hell Ya,, break one open and let me know how they are. Are the buckets themselfs sealed in some way?? Maybe like a modern coffee can with the thick tin foil top thinngy or just open?? I haven't seen them in front of me before so I don't know what they look like other than in pictures.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

there a few videos on you tube on these being prepared and like the cooking shows on TV everything taste good!!!!!!!

I did see a post the other day where someone said Mountain house was better, but heck I don't know cause when I get hungry, gourmet tasting food will be the last thing I will have on my mind

maybe a few of the resident survival experts can chime in

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

That's why I don't always go by reviews on line 100%, ya never know where the reviews are really comming from on some stuff. With gun stuff you can can usually tell the real reviews from the suspect/iffy ones.

I've used the Mt House for years while working with the Forest Service and I like it myself. Hell I'd put on anywhere from 10-20 miles a day carrying a 60+ lb pack and doing trail work all the way with a fire rake and a axe, pack on, in the White Mountians and it sustained me very well and I never got the dreaded "trail skinnys" as most AT hikers do, and I felt great. I'd go in for 2 weeks at a time so I had to go light as possible, tough when you have to plan for any possible senerio you'd run across, it's tough. I had to carry extra gear that could handle anything from a headache to a coranary and everything in between. Made it tough pearing down weight and that Mt House worked well in that respect. I planned for one every other day, otherwise I'd carry small cans of tuna, crab meat, shrimp,and other assorted meats and of course the staple,,,,, Ramin noodles, spices, coffee,,, real coffee, dehdrated butter, man I feasted every day. And FRESH COFFEE,,, you can't imagine how good THAT tastes at sunrise sitting on the top of a mountian looking down on the clouds and watching the world wake up,,,, MAN,,, Damn near orgasmic!!!!!

Thought I had zombies there on the AT,,, a couple times though,,, when those "trail skinny" thru hikers that hadn't seen a real meal in a month would stare at you salivating. While I ate a nice shrimp scampy with all the fixings, dehydrated brocolli with a chese and wine sauce, a dash of wine, and a big bag of,, fresh picked on the trail,,, blueberrys , black caps, rasberrys and what ever other trail goodie I found and a nice dominician cigar for desert!!!! GOOD LORD,,, I could have sworn they about to attack any second,, I tell ya!! Especially when I had my morning coffee!!

I'm hopping someone has tryed it before so I can figure if it's worth setting up an emergency supply, plus something to use for my, HOPEFULLY, up comming excursions.

I'm getting optimistic now and wan't to try a hike soon, hopefully this summer,,, took me damn near 2 1/2 years of therapy just so I could walk stright again and not fall over sense my fall and I've been working on it for anouther 3 years sense that point. I can get out and about and go unladen for 5-6 miles now,,,, takes me all day,, but I can do it now,, so time to start with a day pack and a 2-3 mile overnighter me thinks. GOD I miss it above timber line!!!!! Gods Country!!! That's what I'm working for, at least one more trip!! EVEN IF IT KILLS ME,,,DAMN IT!!!! Just gota do it,,,, for my sperit!!!

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Hi TWA,

The local Tacticooler shop has these in stock open for individual sale, I'll pick one up and let ya know tomorrow.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Personally opinion here and it has nothing to do with Cope's.

We actually sell the Wise food product line. Pry to selling it we all got to taste it at the shop. It's not to bad. I have made many meals out of it simply because I was to lazy to cook that night...

I believe the taste I would call it would be a little bland. Even though I could taste the salt in it. I dont eat much salt so it doesnt take much for me to be able to taste it.

It comes package in individual pouches. There is roughly 20 packages per 60 serving bucket( number of packages in the bucket.. I could be wrong. I havent actually counted them but I do know there is alot lof them in one bucket)

The package itself has a 25 year shelf life on the entrees and breakfast and a 15 year shlef life on the veggies, fruit and meat bucket.

It's a good deal...
    I have 2 buckets of each put back... so ...

Misty..

PS. Check out the website... like I said we do carry the product line.
    Cope's Distributing
    www.copesdistributing.net

~Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.~ – JFK

Phone lines Open
    M-F 9am-530pm EST

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

MY GOD bellson,,,, you do live!!!! I'd thought you'd dropped off the face of the earth!!! jrs Said you've been real busy lately, sure would be nice if the work was in moderation sometimes,, seems it's feast or famine, nothing in between!!

Ya check them out and let me know what ya think of them. I'd hate to spend $100 bucks each bucket for something I haven't tryed before and ended up not liking. Thanks keep in touch.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Oh my GOD ,,,,I musta be part of the crowd now,,,, I got a personal response from the ,,,, all omnipitant,,, the world famous,,,,, loved by all,,, !!!!!! MISTY!!! Yea!! Your site was where I was looking at them for info on them. I'm hopeing to get two three opinions by those that have had both Mt House and Wise then I'll decide which and how much then. I work hard, well as best as I can,, and the extra salt isn't a bad thing for me. Bland a bit,, they grow a million pounds of spices a day,,, no prob!!

Keep use posted on rusty can deals,, any caliber,, mabye these boys might be interested in a group buy or something if you guys happen to offer that option,,,,,like I don't need any more, but good trade goods for other stuff later. And to keep my sons toys feed too,, seems like that mostly!!

Thanks for the heads up on the Wise line and we'll see what the reviews say,,, Thanks Misty , Later Les

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Hi Twa,

Good thing Misty replied with a good answer. The Tacticool Shop had one bucket open for samples (that were giving away), and they are out now. They did have full buckets, but I am not yet in a position to do that.

Thanks for the info Misty.

The Tacticoolers all said about the same thing as Misty did. Not bad, you can live on it. Not terribly interesting. But, Not K Rations either. One of the Tacticoolers is a Korean War Vet. His $0.02 was: I wish we would have had these in 1951! He also has subsisted off of C Rations and LRP Rations in Vietnam. He felt that the variety offered by the Wise Lite meals was such that it would not become horrible until you hit the two or three month mark. And if you supplemented with Rice, Beans, Canned meats, etc. and had a good supply of cheap spices, it could be quite livable for an extended period of time.

Just passing on the conversation. I have not tried the Wise Lite meals myself. I have had all of the rest: Mountain House, MREs, K Rations, C Rations, LRP Rations, Life Boat cookies, and Civil Defense biscuits, rations, and supplements. All will work. Wise Lite represents long shelf life, and easy carry if you can get water. Worth it's weight in Gold when you need it.
    My vote is that it is worth the price for at least a couple of buckets. I intend to do that very soon.

On a tangent now: I have been experimenting with the Thermos food jars that hold 20 or so ounces. Screw top, the same size as the container. I have been mixing 4 ounces of dried beans, 6 ounces of rice, and some spices. Sometimes I throw a hard vitamin in as well, and fill it to the rim with BOILING hot water. Screw the top on and leave it for 4-5 hours. Then mix up and eat. Not too bad. Actually kinda nice when I mix in some meat. I just tried adding some home made beef jerky, and that worked really well, better flavor. My figuring tells me that the rice, beans, and vitamin are good for 550 calories, and a goodly portion of the needed vitamins and minerals. I look at the vitamins as a great just in case kind of thing. So, after I figure everything else out, the 550 calories is something like $0.28. Beat that! I am also going to experiment with "supplement packs" for dietary fibre, and anything else I can think of. My concept is to be able to home pack (meaning vacuum pack) my own meals for a once a day kind of thing. I am going to have to try this (meaning subsist off of it) for a two week period to ensure that it is all good. The package will end up being a "Not Ready to Eat" package. It will require re-hydrating. But, it should be cheap, and easy to carry.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.