Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: “I expect the crowd in power to destroy everything…”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default “I expect the crowd in power to destroy everything…”

“I expect the crowd in power to destroy everything…”

August 27, 2012 By Elizabeth Scalia

Over at Instapundit, Glenn Reynolds posts, amid a wall of discouraging stuff, two especially grim bits:

FOLLOW-UP ON FOOD PRICES:

I just wanted to weigh in on the food inflation issue with a local data point. I live in Southern Iowa and have a small flock of sheep (12) that I use for weed control in my vineyard. I feed grass/alfalfa hay in the winter months (roughly early November through mid-March), and typically start planning in early summer . . .People are scrambling everywhere to get hay lined up for this winter, and not just cattle operators. Craigslist is loaded with horses for sale at fire sale prices because people are having trouble lining up enough hay for this winter, at a price they can afford.

Read the whole thing. Back in the day, my parents had a freezer and would go in with a friend on buying half or a quarter of cow, depending on the finances. Stocking up sounds a good idea.
    Except of course, you need electricity (or at least a generator) to see to all of that. Another Insty post from another reader:

GOING JEAN GALT? Patrick Carroll writes:

I decided to take six months off this year. I sold stock and did what I wanted for a blissful six months. I read books, drank good wine, watched my garden, got out my high-powered binocs and looked at the planets, hiked, cooked, ate well, just lived. I did so because I expect the crowd in power to destroy everything, so I thought I’d take a break before the deluge…I also bought guns (rifle, shotgun, pistol each for the wife and I), and have contracted with a local landscaping company to build a highly-defensible, nice-looking (fence/hedge combination) perimeter for my property.

Oh, and I bought water barrels. And a propane tank. And a generator.

What’s interesting is that I am hearing similarly discomfited talk around me, and seeing it in my emails. In the past few weeks I’ve heard some surprising people admit they’ve been arming themselves and purchasing ammunition — one such discussion happened all around me at the hairdresser’s while I sat and listened. The stylist and his boss, they’re storing food and arming themselves. The chiropractor who popped in to say hello while taking his afternoon stroll said he is armed, too: “never in my life thought I’d have a gun in the house, now we have two.”

They’re arming, they say, because they “see it all going bad.” These same folks who voted for Barack Obama in 2008 were now asserting an idea the far-left had floated around before that election, but instead of “Bush is going to install martial law and suspend elections.” they’re saying it of Obama. “He paid off his friends and did nothing to create jobs and he wants it all to go bad, because then he can stay in power and dictate.”

Yeah, it seems as paranoid and nuts as it did when it was said about Bush, but this stuff is not being said in an extremist corner of the internet — it’s being said in a middle-class suburban salon in an area where 30% (or more) of the businesses are now shuttered, and houses are being foreclosed upon and then re-occupied seemingly overnight, creating what the stylist called “a neighborhood full of changes and no hope. Forget about new small businesses,” he said, gesturing across the street, where a small food shop’s “opening soon” banner had become sun-faded and worn, even as the door remained locked. “That guy is never going to open.”

"I can’t get a loan,” the woman in the next chair told me. “I want to consolidate my kid’s college loans into one loan, and the credit union says they don’t give loans to consolidate student loans. I told them, I have job-security and excellent credit — what if I just want a loan for myself, a personal loan?” She was in high dudgeon and her voice grew louder in a perfect arc of Long Island umbrage-taking. “They said they’d need to know what it was for. I said, ‘it’s my personal business what the loan is for! Maybe I want to go on vacation, throw a wedding, pay off college loans, why do you have to know?’, and they said, no, they had to know what the money was for, because they’d be paying it out for me — like I’m a child who can’t be trusted with money! So, I figure, okay, it’s a credit union, I’ll try my bank. They said they don’t make personal loans anymore! It shook me up. I felt like maybe I didn’t realize how bad things are.”

There is an absolute collapse of faith in our systems and in the guy they helped put into office. These folks who were so quick to believe the press in ’08 and to believe in “hope and change” are now willfully believing the absolute worst. While I was getting my grey washed away I heard about local goings-on that I won’t write about here until I check it out for myself, because I don’t know what is real and what is paranoid fantasy or conspiracy theory. But the thing is, the anxiety is real, the doubt is real, as is the willingness to believe the absolute worst of all of our institutions — the press, the churches, the government. These folks are utterly convinced that the only thing that is going to be installed come next January is chaos and oppression. They’ll vote for Romney (“assuming there is an election and we’re allowed to vote and the vote is actually counted…”) simply because he’s not Obama, but they’re convinced that America’s best days are over.

“Soon, it’s going to be every man for himself, mark my words” said the salon owner. “I’m telling you, get a gun. Get a generator, now, because in six months you won’t be able to. Stock up.”

Honestly, what I thought was, “I need to get a new salon…” Because that was a miserable way to spend 90 minutes and my hard-earned cash.

When I met up with some friends later that weekend, one announced that her husband is talking about getting a gun, too. “I told him, over my dead body. He says he wants a rifle to go hunting! Please. This man doesn’t like to be outside, where there is dirt, now he wants to go hunting? Baloney. He thinks there is going to be some kind of revolution, and I’m saying, ‘what, you’re going to fend off revolution with a rifle you don’t know how to shoot and your barbecue grill?’ Everything is going to be fine. People need to calm down.”

So, let me ask you, readers — do you also “expect the crowd in power to destroy everything”? Are you arming yourselves, stocking up on food and buying generators? Or do you think everything is going to be fine, and we all need to take a breath?

Or are you, like me, just a tad wary but still hoping that the nation can pull itself together?

“I expect the crowd in power to destroy everything…”

Black Blade: Quite common in fact. I know more and more people who are prepping and stocking up as the economy deteriorates. I can't blame them either.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

even if mit goes in were going to see some very hard times in the future.

if mit falls in with that same old big foreign oil,wall-street thief/banking crowd (and i figure their bankrolling the dems and the republicans)

were going to be hip-deep in serious economic do-do very quickly since that last few administrations have been papered over everything for so long that is about ALL the gov can do. and if you plug a hole with paper you know that hole is going to blow out sooner rather than later.

i expect hyper inflation, the dollar to crash and other economic woes either way.

don't know the exact timeline but just about everyone that ain't got their head in the sand can smell it coming down the road.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I expect that j427x is correct . That being said , I expect that there will be a lot of social unrest , and then a world war around the corner . A world war will be used to realign the economic fabric of the world , and kill off a lot of people that are using resources . Get your dry food stored , and a way to get water . I would not be surprised in the least to see transportation come to almost a standstill ; leading to food shortages , especially in the cities . Reminds me of a song , A country boy can survive.
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Feedback Score

I don't disagree that whoever gets in as President in 2012 is going to have a mess to deal with.

I agree 100% with j427x that no matter what party has been in power so much has been hidden and covered up and fixed with temporary fixes that are bound to fail that we are in the middle of a serious impending shit storm. If there is disagreement perhaps it is in how serious it will get. I see some turmoil and perhaps even some uprisings, but not total destruction of life as we know it to the point of having to start over with our own little enclaves of civilization.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What scares me is that the Fed Reserve is doing things in the background behind the smoke and mirrors. When Osama loses the election and they just say "Screw It" and they pull the plug our economy will go into the tank.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I really don't think there will be a healing potion for a $17 Trillion dept.

It is just a matter of some more time till it CRASHES no matter who gets elected.
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I agree at this time Musibike .
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MUSIBIKE View Post
    I really don't think there will be a healing potion for a $17 Trillion dept.
    One likely scenario: start learning Chinese.

Feedback Score

It never hurts to be prepared.Natural disasters occur,depressions happen and stuf happens. Guess I am just old fashioned in believing in taking care of my family and myself.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The crowd in power will also be destroyed in a sense.
    I know the yellow-bellies will retreat to a bunker and wait it out.
    I am being vague here, but, there are things worse than death.
    Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.