Gunco Forums banner

It’s the End of the World as We Know it

3K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  bellson 
#1 ·
It’s the End of the World as We Know it

Published: 11:41 AM 09/21/2012
By Skip Coryell

For those of you who’ve been living under a mainstream media rock the past ten years, then the following sentences are simply the chorus to a song by the famous rock band R.E.M.

It’s the end of the world as we know it.

It’s the end of the world as we know it.

It’s the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

But to those of us with an apocalyptic bent, the chorus to that song takes the form of an acronym. TEOTWAWKI.

And we refer to the acronym on a daily basis, because we truly believe our society is about to crash and burn in the mother of all flame-outs. In fact, most of us are so faithful, we stockpile food, ammo, have alternate potable water sources, nonhybrid seeds, tools, building supplies, force multipliers, and even grow our own food. We must be lunatics in the order of Noah.

Quite frankly, if TEOTWAWKI happens, then I won’t feel fine. I’ll be fine, because I’m prepared. But I won’t feel fine. Well, hold it. Wait a minute. Maybe I will feel fine. Think about it this way; A world without an overbearing federal government. No taxes. No building permits. No ATF. Hunting season year round!

Okay, okay, so that’s the silver lining to the cloud. The cloud being total anarchy in a very, very dangerous world. This year I published the first novel in a four-book series titled The God Virus. It’s about an attack on the power grid bringing about a thousand-year-night and TEOTWAWKI. Next month I’ll be publishing the second novel called The Shadow Militia.

One thing I quickly realized while writing The God Virus was only the tough and the prepared would survive. My family and I have been preparing for over three years now and we enjoy it. It’s a self sufficient way of life hearkening back two hundred years which carries its own reward. Not only does it lower our grocery bill, but it also brings family members closer together. It teaches character, because everyone has to work and pull their own weight. We either grow the food we eat, or we kill it ourselves. Then everyone has to pull together to process the food. Today I canned potatoes. Yesterday I canned pumpkin. On Saturday my six-year-old son and I will shoot a deer. It’s a way of life that bonds us together in a broken and twisted society that seeks to tear the family apart.

So, maybe from that perspective, I will be fine. But the question remains … What will happen to you and the ones you love? That’s the focus of this article. I’m writing to those of you who have yet to start preparing for the end of the world as we know it. TEOTWAWKI is coming. If the present course of human events is not altered, societal collapse is inevitable.

Those of us religiously preparing for societal collapse have a name. We are called “preppers”. And perhaps the most famous of all preppers in human history was a man named Noah. You all know the story. God came to Noah and said, “Hey, Noah! The people in this world really suck! In fact, they suck so bad I’m gonna have to put ‘em down!” Noah listened with great interest, because he was righteous in God’s eyes and he did not suck. “So build a big boat. I know what yer thinkin’, Noah, you live in the desert. But that’s okay, cuz I’m gonna turn the whole place into freakin’ lakefront real quick. And trust me on this one, property values will not go up! I’ll fax ya down the blueprints and you get goin’!””

So what did Noah do? He was obedient to God. He built a boat. (Some might call it a BOB, spelled “Bug Out Boat”.) Per God’s orders, he horded all kinds of food and supplies. Let me paraphrase the list from the good book. He collected lots of animals. Seven pairs of every clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of the dirty ones, a male and its mate. Not to mention seven pairs of every kind of bird, male and female. He ordered ammo by the case, bought night vision goggles with extra batteries, solar panels, flak jackets, antibiotics, extra canning jars, lids and rings. Oh, wait. I’m reading from the wrong book now. That last sentence came from the book titled How to Survive the End of the World as we Know It by James Wesley Rawles. It’s like the prepper’s Bible, and you should buy that before doing anything else.

So Noah did everything God told him to do, and he was saved from annihilation. He was the first prepper, and the example I follow today.

Have any of you noticed some similarities in the society just before the flood and the society we have today? I do, and that’s why I prepare. I don’t believe God will tarry with us a whole heck of a lot longer. Because as a society, we are really starting to suck.

If you’re interested in becoming more self-sufficient, I recommend you join the American Prepper’s Network. It will launch you on your way to surviving the end of the world as we know it, so that you too, can feel fine.

Editor’s Note: Skip is a buddy of mine and he was the founder of the Second Amendment March. Skip runs White Feather Press and his book The God Virus is available now on Amazon. Thanks for the article Skip and Semper Fi! ~Mike P. Editor, Guns & Gear

Read more: It?s the End of the World as We Know it | The Daily Caller

Black Blade: everyone preps in their own way. My way may not be your way. Your way may be different than someone else's way. We all have unique needs depending on our situation. I have been prepped in some degree or another for over 35 years. I'm still prepping and it is now more a lifestyle that has me working toward self sufficiency and hopefully being able to go "off grid" as well as "Go Galt". I feel as though time is running out given the global economy and geopolitical environment. ..... and so it goes...

See less See more
#2 ·
My question about prepping has always been the one of defense. Let's say you do have years of food stored up, a great garden planted and livestock...what happens when the roving bands of armed thugs come along? Unless you live in a bunker, with gun ports that can be sealed off from the outside world how do you stop dozens or even hundreds who come at you to kill you and take what you have?

Simple logic says that if they put you under siege and keep attacking you, or burn you out of your home, they will win eventually. Even the most heavily armed will not be able to hold out forever. Frankly one LAWS or RPG or tank or even a well placed Molotov cocktail will end the idea of protecting the homestead. So help me out here...what is the plan to defend the homestead? What if circumstances make bugging out impractical or impossible? Believe me I see this as the one ***** in my prepping suit of armor.

#4 ·
Hi FyredUp,

A very good question and point. My best possible answer is this: Have a number of places. Sounds awful, and expensive. Probably true. But, stop and consider this for a moment.

What if you built a low cost kind of bunker, from something like an inverted shipping container (inverted because the floor is the strongest part of the container). Stocked it with supplies for a month or two, and just used basic folding and wall mounted beds with minimal mattress. Not the ritz to be sure, but then have a second one, and even a third one that are all camouflaged and very difficult to find. Theory says that if the gomers find the first one, you take the escape tunnel out, and collapse it behind you and get to bug-out place #2. etc. etc. etc....

The whole purpose of the exercise is to survive. Let the gomers have the first one, and if you really want to plan it out, booby trap it with HE and blow the shit out of them once they eat your food and drink your wine. Problem solved. Anyone else who comes around finds a smoking hole and sees nothing left to pilfer, losses interest and goes away.

Just my thoughts. We were trained to do similar when vacating an established Fire Base. We even did that in the field with claymores and C4 if we knew the shit was gonna hit hard. Only had to do it once. We mopped up 45 min later.

End of ramblings and fantasies....

#3 ·
Why worry about roaming gangs of thugs? People are protein too. If you can't go to the supermarket during the apocalypse - then the supermarket must come to you. There's a reason man is also called "Long Pork".

Serving Man: How to Eat Like a Cannibal

It's hard to find fresh game during the zombie apocalypse. So why not spice things up by feasting on one of the most bountiful food sources on the planet? Here's everything you need to know to serve man.

"Human Cuts" by Kirk Docker

Eating long pig is probably fairly green - just think how your carbon footprint would improve if you ate that dick in the Hummer. Everything you need to know is right here. We've got a how-to on butchering humans, with research help given to us by a chef who wishes to remain anonymous, plus recipes and a graph explaining how to "shell" humans for a yummy offal feast! Happy eating!

Important Tips For Carving A Human Carcass

Since we're specifically dealing with carving in this section, we're assuming that you've already acquired your human. Hopefully you kept them free of food for 48 hours before humanely slaughtering and bleeding them. We know that sometimes beggars can't be choosers and that all circumstances are different (whether you're stranded on a desert island or in the Andes with your teammates). But in an optimal situation, you've killed and bled your subject in a room that is temperature controlled and not above 40 degrees to prevent the meat from spoiling. Now you're ready to go.

1) The most important tip for butchering a human is to have a very sharp knife, so you can accurately cut into the flesh. A dull knife will tear the skin resulting in sloppy cuts and a less than professional presentation (you're a cannibal not an animal!). We recommend a cleaver (for cutting through the bones), a bone saw (if you can't get a bone saw with out raising suspicion try a meat saw), and a slicing knife (we prefer a Japanese Yunagi so you can make one clean cut as opposed to sawing and ripping the flesh, but that's just our preference).

2) Hair can be a problem. If the subject is very hairy, it's easiest to just skin the subject, plus it's also healthier! But if you're set on keeping the skin (and the subject is particularly hairy) one could slow scald the body to remove the hair. This is a very difficult process and if done at too high of a temperature the entire thing will "set" the hair. We recommend checking out the resource room's home slaughtering "scalding pit" should you chose to attempt this. It's a long and arduous process but worth the investment if you think you'll be doing this more than once.

3) Cut the body into "primals "starting with the arms. Using the cleaver, cut the arms off at the shoulder. Cleave the legs off at the hip or pelvis. Then remove the head at the base of the neck (you may need a bone saw). Save the neck and head for human stock (which is the basis for good human gravy).

4) Break down the arms and legs cutting them off at the elbows, knees, ankles and wrists. Be sure to save the hands and the feet as well. There are many options for serving the feet and hands. One can pickle them (soak them in an apple cider vinegar for a few hours). The feet and hands can also be used in the human stock.

5) Cut down the breast of the torso exposing the ribs (you might need a bone saw to crack open the ribs). Remove and save organs if you're an adventurous gourmand who enjoys offal. What you have here are your traditional offal dishes: liver, kidneys and thymus. These can be prepared and served in the traditional fashion. Remove the organs before harvesting the ribs and the breast meat to prevent puncturing the organs.

6) Remove the breast meat that is on top of the ribs. Then cleaver the ribs at the sides.

7) Below the chest cavity is the abdominal muscles which are perfect for bacon.

8) Now you have everything quartered. You are ready to basically start portioning off the meat as you see fit. The calves are fantastic for braising. Leave the bone on for maximum flavor in the braise. The thighs are versatile and can be cooked in any manner, same goes for the rump. The arms can be cooked in the same manner, but the real meat is in the legs.

9) The breast meat is perfect for grilling, while we recommend smoking and barbecuing the ribs. A thoughtful touch for the expert chef would be to match the barbecuing style to the homeland of your meat.

10) Don't forget your neck gravy, which would be great to serve on the side of all of these dishes. What you do with the head is your own business.

#6 ·
I get very few visitors up my way. My neighbors (the few that there are) are similarly isolated. I live in the high country and any "roaming gangs" are more likely to meet their demise long before they find their way into the hinterlands where I am at. That said, I have multiple BOLs and cached supplies. As for defense - there are several possibilities.

First, I have family and friends who are with the program. Some are more determined than others and I even have some Mormon family and Friends who are big into prepping and defense (it's part of their religion after all). Having like-minded individuals band together is a big plus.

Second, We have alternative BOL sites across four states now. Depends on your "community" and ours have been at this for years. Some are better prepped than others and some have more desirable skills depending on th situation (i.e. a doctor, physician's assistant, a ER nurse, two mechanics, two current military, etc.). Our extended community probably number 60 individuals.

Third, there are cached supplies along routes to each BOL. Some known only to each group leader. Most keep in a database on encrypted PGP software.

Fourth, always have a defensive perimeter defined and set up early warning systems (cameras, motion detectors, man traps, etc.).

As it is I am currently working on setting up one site and may be buying another site with water sources on wooded acreage in the high country. The price is a bit steep but may see if it's still available in a few months when I have the cash accumulated (always buy raw land with cash and if possible held in a family trust or investment trust for liability and tax purposes).

There's much more but these are the very bottom line basics. The most difficult part for most people of course is finding the right sort of individuals. Many of us began around the mid to late 1970s. The kicker for me was the book by Howard J. Ruff - How to Prosper During the Coming Bad Years (1979). Made a lot of sense and helped me and my late wife make it through some difficult times and medical expenses during her illness.

As for anything else - get out of debt and stay out of debt, accumulate physical silver and gold as "portfolio insurance", stock a multiyear supply of nonperishable foods and basic necessties (and of course that includes firearms and ammo for defense and hunting needs).

#7 ·
no need to worry or concern yourselves, most of you won't have the balls and you will not last, you are not menatlly prepared for this to happen, you live in a fantasy world. the animals will sort you and your kind in a heart beat, you are not trained for this, therefore you will need to adapt quick and very quick or else.

I said this before and it went in one ear and out the other, cause you are so concerned about being right, you need professional training in self defense, your spouse and family must also be on the same page,
oh it maybe too late but
So cut the crap and get professionally trained to defend your family and yourself,
you have a lot of nerve antagonizing the members on this website then ask for advise about self defense and 45 ammo WTF and to the people who reply to WTF

hard times are coming, as they said in the scouts "BE PREPARED",

I have already made plans to take care of my sister as my anti-gun brother in law says, he has a baseball bat, scratch one brother in law

#9 · (Edited)
no need to worry or concern yourselves, most of you won't have the balls and you will not last, you are not menatlly prepared for this to happen, you live in a fantasy world. the animals will sort you and your kind in a heart beat, you are not trained for this, therefore you will need to adapt quick and very quick or else.

I said this before and it went in one ear and out the other, cause you are so concerned about being right, you need professional training in self defense, your spouse and family must also be on the same page,
oh it maybe too late but
So cut the crap and get professionally trained to defend your family and yourself,
you have a lot of nerve antagonizing the members on this website then ask for advise about self defense and 45 ammo WTF and to the people who reply to WTF End quote.

As I read Sprats post, my hard knuckled, calloused hand almost broke the computer screen.

Seems you can't shake a mans hand through a computer, but if you could, the above post is worthy of a handshake.

Back to the thread, Black Blade and Bellson speak sound tactics.

The only thing I could add is;

Never underestimate the value of well trained dogs either.

#8 ·
Sprat1:

Thanks for your concern about my balls. Once again you presume way to much about me. But that is far easier than actually talking to me instead of just attacking me.

oh it maybe too late but

Working on the training already. My entire family, wife, sons and stepdaughters are all on the same page.

you have a lot of nerve antagonizing the members on this website then ask for advise about self defense and 45 ammo WTF and to the people who reply to WTF

This is not relevant to this topic and since the entire episode in that other topic I have done NOTHING to antagonize anyone. But you, and others, keep firing shots to try and lure me into battles. Sorry, not going to play so you can report me and get me booted.

Funny thing is so many of you complained that I never posted on any other topics and yet now that I am you criticize me for having a lot of nerve for asking for advice. Seems kind of strange to me.

hard times are coming, as they said in the scouts "BE PREPARED",

And I am reading, both books and online, I am talking, or trying to talk to people on this forum about prepping. I have food, some medical supplies, and hygiene supplies on hand. I am adding water all the time. My garden has grown in size and production over the years. We are adding livestock in the spring. Security issues are being dealt with. I may not be completely prepared but my bet is I am more prepared than 90% of the population is.

I have already made plans to take care of my sister as my anti-gun brother in law says, he has a baseball bat, scratch one brother in law

I have made the offer to extended family to regroup at my home if the world goes cow shit...But I have not given up any of the extent of my preps to them. The more people that know, the more likely there will be security break.
Honestly I wish you would let the past go here and look at what is going on now with my posts. I am not going to say I will never post on political topics again, but I will not get into the name calling insults of the past. No matter what others do.

#10 ·
2ndAmendican,

Fyredup, thats my main concern as well. We are not really in a position to Bug out, and will have to try and defend our home/preps. There are only 3 of us to defend whats ours. Thats not even enough to watch all four sides of the house, plus you gotta sleep sometime. I really do worry about this aspect, as it's most likely going to be our downfall if the SHTF.

Bugging out is not a practical option for my family either. Right now the plan is to bug in and circle the wagons at our home. If it comes down to having to bug out it will be messy and frankly ugly.

We will have a few more people than you, offering added people for security, but also adding to those using the supplies. So the plusses may be outweighed by that minus. They all bring additional skills that will help us survive and I have mde it clear that anyone that doesn't work doesn't stay. To me it is that simple.

It is easy to tell people to bug out to another secret location, but if circumstances and resources don't make that a viable option then what? That was the reason for my original question.

#11 ·
tanvil,

As I read Sprats post, my hard knuckled, calloused hand almost broke the computer screen.

Seems you can't shake a mans hand through a computer, but if you could, the above post is worthy of a handshake.

Back to the thread, Black Blade and Bellson speak sound tactics.

The only thing I could add is;

Never underestimate the value of well trained dogs either.
Yeah, a stellar post. Get training overshadowed by his need, yet again, to be insulting despite the fact that I have insulted no one and asked a serious question.

I am not surprised though.

#12 ·
You know, I had a pretty long and thought out reply, not so much to this thread topic, but to the continual BS that goes back and forth of someone insulting Fyredup, and then his non-insulting but smart ass replies, but you know what; i deleted. Maybe this kind of thing is why its gotten so quiet around here lately :-\

#14 ·
if you re-read my post above you will note
the first paragraph is directed at 75-95% of the members the rest here and other sites not one individual

except for one paragraph the rest was not a personal attack, it was sound advice that he and the rest of you should start thinking about
as far as the specific paragraph, I am speaking the truth
I personally find it Ironic this individual does battle everyday here to purposely aggravate/taunt the members , now we are suppose to roll over and play nice, all is forgotten
I think it that takes brass balls THATS MY OPINION
and if his feeling are hurt oh well

sprat

#13 ·
Mr Posthumous,

I have tried to let it go. I am asking serious questions in topics other than politics. I am not trying to fight with anyone. Some just seem to follow me around this site just to post nonsense directed at me.

#23 ·
Hi FyredUp,

Read my previous post first, for context.

My advise to you (and others regardless of political viewpoint or social stripe):

Debate. Do not attack. You are pretty good about this generally, but...Given the audience, I would recommend a finer granularity.

Differentiate. State more clearly where your foundations lie, so that those who read your posts / threads have a better idea of where you are coming from.

Accept. That you will not agree with everyone else, and that they will not agree with you. State your views, and leave it at that.

I offer this in a friendly tone, and I am not finding fault. I simply suggest that this may help to smooth out the comms on this board.

You and I both know that we do not agree on a lot of things. That is fine, lets argue about those things and have some fun and learn new things. I don't always play nice, but I keep trying. On the important things, I drop the BS and try to just do the right things.

I offer this post without judgement, and in the hope that maybe things will calm down a bit.

Regards,

#15 ·
Sprat1,

Show me the last battle I was involved in? I am trying to get involved in other topics. The politics thing is a hopeless cause from both sides I can't change your mind and you won't change mine. LET IT GO!

#17 ·
So, what might you be gaining for being a 'prepper'?
A week, a month at best?
A year if you are a fanatic.

I'm at the 'who gives a shit' contributor level.
Bring it on bro.

#19 ·
Rahatlakhoom,

My prepping is more for short term disasters, whether natural or man made. I doubt most will survive an all out SHTF without organizing into communities.

#21 ·
Musibike,

I believe the roving bands of people like you mention, people with kids that are hungry will be easy to handle. A few rounds in their direction will most likely change their thought pattern.

The real trouble will be the looter groups that are armed and will kill you to get what you have. They will be determined and vicious enough to not care who or what is in their way. Their numbers will be overwhelming and eventually you will be overrun.

#22 ·
Gentlemen.

I know there has been a bit of friction in the past. I have felt it as well. I do not always agree with everyone. That is my right.

I do not always please everyone with my posts. I state my opinions.

I would ask all of you to be selective as to when and on what subjects we decide to bring out sharp swords. We can bicker and argue till Kingdom Come on all sorts of politics and social standpoints. That is why being an American is cool. But when it comes down to seeking and asking advise on the foundational issues, we should all just drop the politics and prior disagreements and get the info out.

Gents, this is just my simple opinion. I do not claim to be right, or that I hold any moral high-ground. I just think that based on my life's experience; there are some times when you just gut check, and do the right thing for the common good.

Consider this a personal favor. I ask all of you to bear in mind that we are all a bit on edge, and that not everyone thinks the same. Let's all try to get our point across, and let's try to be civil in the process. I am not pointing any fingers at anybody except myself (and maybe JRS because he is so closed minded).

Warm regards to all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.