Thread: FORGET GOLD: Here's Where Die-Hard Skeptics Are Storing Their Wealth

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default FORGET GOLD: Here's Where Die-Hard Skeptics Are Storing Their Wealth

FORGET GOLD: Here's Where Die-Hard Skeptics Are Storing Their Wealth

Lucas Kawa
    Oct. 15, 2012, 4:02 PM

Any thoughts about persistent safe havens (other than perhaps cash under your mattress) are dangerous," warned Jim O'Neill, Chairman of Goldman Sachs Asset Management.

However, the market skeptics would argue otherwise.

The most popular so-called safe haven — an asset class that doesn't lose value — is probably gold.

But gold can be heavy and costly to store. Furthermore, with gold trading at historically high levels, the die hard skeptics have turned to everything ranging from art and whiskey, to esoteric currencies.

Many traditional and unorthodox opportunities are available that may offer a positive return and/or protection against inflation. You might be surprised at what cracks this comprehensive (but not exhaustive) list of safe havens.

Guns and Ammo

AP

The ability of guns and ammunition to store value makes them an appealing investment option on their own merits. According to ammo.net, the price of Remington .223 rounds rose 224 percent from 1999 to 2011 – well above the rate of inflation.

Gun sales spiked after the election of Barack Obama in anticipation of more stringent gun control laws.The Wall Street Journal reports that a similar boost in sales is expected in the event of the President’s re-election, and also notes that the supply of guns has not kept pace with demand.

Earlier in 2012, CEO Michael O. Fifer of Sturm, Ruger & Co. suspended the acceptance of new orders after 1Q sales exceeded expectations.

Sources: Wall Street Journal, Sovereign Man

Read more: Non-Gold Safe Haven Assets - Business Insider

Black Blade: A few alternative investments not mention here are in the linked article.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

gold is not heavy, per se. you should HAVE enough gold to worry about its weigh, 12 troy ozs to one normal lb and $1700 (or whatever) per oz means 50 lbs of gold is a million $. :-)

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Well I'm still surprised that more prepper types aren't interested in learning how to just go find some Gold, rather than buy it. I suppose it is because it involves hard work, which is beneath most people these days.. 95% of the gold in the U.S.A. is just waiting to be prospected & mined.
    I think this is priceless knowledge to have in tough times.

" Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Find it?

I keep running into people that "have some gold" that turn out to have some share certificates they bought off some place on the internet.

If it isn't in your hand, you don't have any.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i think lead and steel are going to be better in the long haul.

one day i figure food will be so scarce gold won't buy it. i don't know if we will live to see that day though.

i am not looking much at investments anyway-- more like just survival.

Feedback Score

Bradrock I would love to find some gold. The places I have been panning are tourist traps. Its hard to find a real gold mining area in NC.

Feedback Score

so who says you have to STAY in NC, for starters? Google for where it's at. CA still has some, other NW states, too. ALaska is the main source, but only for the 4 month "summer, spring, fall". :-) No trading material will mean a thing for a year after shtf, you won't dare show yourself. then the trade will all be in veternary powder meds, for a year or so, then MAYBE gold and silver will start to have trade value, but .22lr ammo is likely to be more in demand, altho the animals will be gone the first 1-2 months of shtf. 22 bullet in you means death without modern health care, and .22's are easily silenced, and the ammo is easily cached today. Nobody will be wanting to carry anything heavier or harder to find ammo for.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

thought oil is where you put your $$$.
    Tree huggin' dirt worshipper!

Feedback Score

not me. don't know anything about oil, really. The only place I put money these days is into big old houses, fix them up, divide the rooms in half, and rent out by the week, to the homeless. big money in it, but need nearly 70k to get the first one going.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.