Gunco Forums banner

Frustrated Homeowners To Take Matters Into Their Own Hands As Home Invasions Rise?

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  TRX 
#1 ·
Frustrated Homeowners To Take Matters Into Their Own Hands As Home Invasions Rise?

Economic Collapse | Violent crime is on the rise in the United States, and many Americans are totally fed up.

Will Frustrated Homeowners And Armed Posses Take Matters Into Their Own Hands As Home Invasions Rise?

Violent crime is on the rise in the United States, and many Americans are totally fed up. According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, the number of household burglaries rose by 14 percent last year, and the overall rate of violent crime in the United States increased by 18 percent during 2011. Based on what we have seen so far this year, we will almost certainly see another huge increase once the statistics for 2012 are released. All over the country criminals are becoming bolder. Meanwhile, police budgets are being slashed from coast to coast. Things have gotten so bad in some communities that police are openly admitting that crime is completely and totally out of control. For example, police in Detroit recently handed out flyers with this message: “Enter Detroit at your own risk“. Sadly, you can’t even escape the crime and the violence by staying in your own home these days. Home invasions are becoming increasingly common, and many police departments seem powerless to stop them. If many of the poorer areas of America today, if you are a victim of a home invasion you will be really lucky to get a police officer to show up a couple of hours later to fill out a report. A lot of frustrated home owners have had enough and have started to arm themselves to the teeth. Some have even begun to form armed posses to patrol their own neighborhoods. We are watching America change right in front of our eyes, and it is frightening to think about what is coming next.

The streets of some U.S. cities have been transformed into war zones at this point. Juts check out this excerpt from a recent story about the horrific violence that is taking place in Camden, New Jersey…

At the vigil last week, residents prayed that Camden would simply find peace and that the masked gunman who killed Jewel Manire and Khalil Gibson would be caught.

As it grew darker, Michael Benjamin stood toward the back of the crowd, his son huddled even closer now, and shook his head.

“I’ve known at least 45 kids who’ve been killed in my lifetime,” he said, the boy holding his finger. “I stopped counting in 2004, though.”

You may think that talk of “armed posses” patrolling local communities is a little “out there”, but the truth is that it is already happening.

For example, a groups of residents in Josephine County, Oregon have formed “the CAC Patrol“. They have mounted flashing lights on to their vehicles and they openly carry guns as they patrol their neighborhoods…

There’s no room in the county jail for burglars and thieves. And the sheriff’s department in a vast, rural corner of southwest Oregon has been reduced by budget cuts to three deputies on patrol eight hours a day, five days a week.

But people in this traditionally self-reliant section of timber country aren’t about to raise taxes to put more officers on the road. Instead, some folks in Josephine County, larger than the state of Rhode Island, are taking matters into their own hands — mounting flashing lights on their trucks and strapping pistols to their hips to guard communities themselves. Others have put together a virtual neighborhood watch, using Facebook to share tips and information.

“I believe in standing up for myself rather than waiting for the government to do something for me,” said Sam Nichols, a retired marina manager.

Nichols has organized a posse of about a dozen fed-up residents who have started patrolling the small community of O’Brien, which has about 750 residents.

As home invasions continue to get worse all over the country, I expect that we will see a lot more of this type of thing.

In the old days, we were taught that if burglars enter your home that you should let them take whatever they want and leave.

But these days you simply cannot trust that they will leave you and your family alone. Many home invaders actually hope to find someone inside that they can rape, and many victims end up dead.

That is exactly what happened to one man in Gary, Indiana the other day…

Last Friday, Jerry Hood, 48, of Gary, Ind., left work and decided to go home during lunchtime. Gary police said Hood, who was with a co-worker, noticed activity in his house and called police for help, but did not wait for police to arrive. Instead he went in and lost his life when he disrupted a home invasion, police say. Hood died from multiple gunshot wounds.

And that is exactly what happened to another man in Pontiac, Michigan recently…

A shootout during a possible home invasion left the 27-year-old owner dead and a suspected intruder wounded, the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office said.

Deputies were called about 3:25 a.m. to an address in the 800 block of Inglewood Avenue near Cesar Chavez, where a home invasion was reported.

A 12-year-old girl down in Oklahoma may have been added to the growing list of dead victims if she had not been willing to shoot first and ask questions later.

The story that she recently told police is absolutely chilling…

“He opened the screen door and started pounded on the door. So I didn’t answer it. And I called my mom. She said to go get the gun and hide in the closet.”

Kendra St. Clair says she stayed in the closet until she thought the coast was clear. So she went to check the back door.

And he was standing there trying to open it. So I got really scared and I called 911.”

She went back to the closet. That’s when she heard the man in the house.

“When I was back there on the phone with 911, I heard the bathroom light turn on that was leading to the closet. And when I saw the door handle turn, I shot him. I guess it went through the door, went through him, and went through the wall.”

What do you think would have happened to that 12-year-old girl if she had not had a gun?

You normally would not think of Oklahoma as a high crime state, but the truth is that home invasions are on the rise all over the nation.

Here is another home invasion story from Oklahoma. A young mother was home alone with her three-month-old son when two men started breaking into her home. Fortunately, she had a gun and was willing to use it…

An Oklahoma woman was recently home with her 3 month old son when two men tried to break in. Armed with a shot gun and a pistol she called 9-1-1.

Operator: “Are your doors locked?”

Caller: “Yes, I’ve got two guns in my hand. Is it ok to shoot him if he comes in this door?”

Operator: “I can’t tell you what you can do but you do what you have to do to protect your baby.”

The mother did shoot killing one of the intruders. Oklahoma police called the shooting justified.

Would you do the same thing to protect your children?

Sadly, criminals are becoming more desperate than ever and many of them do not even care if there is anyone inside the homes that they are invading.

For much more on this, please see my previous article entitled “11 Shocking Home Invasion Horror Stories That Are Almost Too Creepy To Believe“.

Are you starting to see why I believe that more homeowners are going to start taking matters into their own hands?

Some areas of the country that once had very little crime are now seeing crime absolutely skyrocket.

A while back, I shared what one man down in Georgia says is going on in his neck of the woods…

I worked until around 9:30-10 Friday night, and Saturday morning my tools and equipment were gone. Footprints, fingerprints, a neighbor saw the guys and pickup truck – but the sheriff’s department can’t afford the resources to track them down (by comparison it’s not a violent/murder case or a $40k vehicle…) I have a security camera on the front gate, and they avoided that by a 100 foot radius – dragging everything across a fence and down into a ditch on the other side of the property.

The day before another neighbor literally met and passed by people that had just robbed his farm, on his way back from the store, less than a mile from his house – he recognized his stuff on the back of their trailer. This was in the middle of the day. His gate was locked – but they drove through the ditch and around a field to get to his house.

A local truck repair shop has been in business for 3 generations, and until a few weeks ago had never been robbed. They are on the main street of a little town, and live right behind the shop. The front door of the shop is about 30 feet back from the main street. The thieves parked in FRONT, and loaded up his equipment.

Another big shop was hit on a Saturday morning – main street going into town – they loaded up everything right out the front door, with people seeing them, hundreds of cars driving by… They have bolt cutters, whatever it takes to break in…

Another older shop had a heavy wood door with a metal hasp – they CHOPPED THROUGH THE DOOR WITH AN AXE to cut out the metal hasp. A house is 100 feet from this shop.

We live in Georgia, south of Atlanta, and theft has become so bad, the state recently required all scrap yards to take pictures of everything brought in, with a picture of who brought it, a copy of their drivers license, and their tag number. If it is air conditioning/heating equipment (bigger than a window unit) you must have a commercial heating/ac license or a new equipment bill of sale. People were ripping the copper ground wires off the sides of power poles and tearing wires off the poles for scrap.

A local gas station/restaurant had their AC equipment stolen so many times, they had to build a chain link locked enclosure around all the equipment. You can see it from the main street – out in plain view.

Do you have any stories like this that you would like to share?

What are you seeing in your neck of the woods?

Please feel free to post a comment with your thoughts below…

» Frustrated Homeowners To Take Matters Into Their Own Hands As Home Invasions Rise? Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Black Blade: The Militia Movement continues to expand. The Second Amendment allows citizens to defend themselves according to the Supreme Court. However, many lowlife prosecutors hate and despise the US Constitution and need to be put in their place. That said, citizens are linking up to form militias to fight crime (i.e. Neighborhood Watch, Civilian Patrols, etc.). With the economy caught in a death spiral and crime rises to unmanageable levels, more and more citizens are arming themselves for self defense. Property and Violent Crimes are on the rise after falling in recent years (now up 18% this year). Home invasions are becoming commonplace. As the economy slips over the edge of the "fiscal cliff" into oblivion, the people will have to become more vigilant and keep a watchful eye over their families and property. It's going to get mighty ugly.

See less See more
#2 ·
it has got that way way out here in the boonies too.

anything that ain't nailed down is stolen and sold for scrap.

meth addicts roam around day and night stealing anything they can get their hands on.

criminal types from the citys are flooding the countryside --they drive day and night up and down these county gravel roads and hide on paper company land.

i kind of wonder how they afford gas and automobiles --till a few of their automobiles turned up hot.

during the dark and middle ages tens of thousands of homeless men wandered around --trying to climb in windows and rape/steal/murder on their minds.

the houses of the times had heavy wooden shudders that lock from the inside and every bed had a club nearby--so if one did manage to get through the window the intruder was pounded on the skull with the club.

#3 ·
The whole "home invasion" thing scares the crap outa me for my family. They are seriously on the rise in the Carolinas, and you can't watch the local evening news without there being at least one mentioned. Lots seem to have no rhyme or reason to how that particular home was chosen. My wife has a .357 that she used to carry religously, but not so much any more. I've been telling her that it needs to be within arms reach at all times!! Bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, etc.... If you're there, it needs to be near you. Am I too paranoid, or do you agree??

#5 ·
I see it this way.

For when you're home.

You have smoke detectors in strategically placed locations?
Check.
You have the proper fire extinguishers in strategically placed locations?
Check
You have a jack and a spare in all of your vehicles?
Check

Do I have a weapon in strategically placed locations in every room?

I refuse to be a cooperative victim.

When we are not home.

If someone makes it through helldog, they might find SOME, but no one will find it all. The wife and I also run drills with our SOP if someone is in the house when we come home.

In todays society alot of the 'home invasions' are done by the homeowners own damn drug addict kids.
A lethal booby trap is a prison sentence but a pepper spray fogger system is legal and effective. You just need to make sure the dog is not in the house at the time.

I know of a case firsthand where the guys' daughter was sneaking in and stealing him blind. He was wondering why the dog wasn't attacking the culprits so we set up cameras.
SHO'NUFF little ghetto mouth ***** lover is in there with her yo boys rifling through the place, eating his food and having sex in his bed.

Anyone who calls another man paranoid is only revealing his narrow minded stupidity.

#4 ·
Security lights, dog, perimeter.. Not necessarily in that order..
Damn problem is the bad guys have the upper hand.. Hell you do not know if that person approaching your home is selling bibles, or wants to rob you..
Here also our Deputies are stretched too the limit..
To much A.O. to cover..
Most robberies happen during the day, as per Black Blade's post..
Hell they do not want to come in when your there, they want in when your not there, much easier..
Home invasion.. Lights come on, dog barks, pay attention and get ready.
Damn crack head, pill head neighbor was stealing my gas...
Told my neighbor, retired Deputy Sheriff, I was going to cap him...
"Tim you will be in jail for murder, you can not kill someone on a misdemeanor."
Dogs, lights. Work with your neighbors to form a community watch..
Neighbors you can trust that is..
Hell my neighbor was the damn one robbing me..
If I told him I was leaving, watch the house.
Oh he would have watched it, from the inside.. :)
He just turned 19. In the big house on 8 felony counts, so were safe for a bit.
I actually liked the kid.. Parents never taught him consequences..
He will learn now, the hard way..

#6 ·
Thanks guys, I feel normal again. LOL.

Unfortunately I keep "my" kids at arms length, because I don't trust them. I no longer tell them about my life, or what I have. My wife's kids are great, and are no trouble. I try to keep all of my lifestyle and preps on the down low. Don't want my house to be an obvious target. Chainlink around the backyard, security lights on 3 corners, neighbor's covers the 4th corner, 110 pound Lab/Weimaraner mix that dislikes anyone who isn't family. (He even growled and snapped at my son, whom he hadn't seen in about a year. I was proud of that!!!) One or two firearms. (the only things left after that boating accident don't ya know!!) I think that because nothing has happened yet, the wife is getting complacent. I need to kick it up a notch with her, somehow.

#7 ·
True.. Most times, not necessarily in the cities, it is someone you know.
Random home invasions? Sure strangers.
Last thing someone, pros anyway want to do, is break into the local Police K9 trainers home. Calm down Cujo.. :w00t1:
Lights, cameras, noise makers, criminals don't like that stuff.
Home invasion, yup on the rise..
Weapon placement like tanvil said.. Be prepared..
I installed security systems for a year. Good work, interesting job.
Every job, to a person..
"Oh saw it on T.V., never thought it would happen to me."
Me is anyone reading this...

#9 ·
I lost alot of mine in a sunken boat too.

Those weapons don't always need to be guns.

I would highly recommend the Cold Steel knock off of the Spetsnaz entrenching tool and some training to back it up.

Wrap the handle in duct tape to increase positive grip. Sharpen all 4 edges and practice with the sheath in place.

To the average Joe, it's a small shovel. To the guy/girl who knows how to use it, it's a quick way to royally ruin some ones day. Absolutely devastating.

Shovels | Axes Saws Shears & Shovels | Knives & Tools

Russian Special Forces - Spetsnaz GRU - Entrenching Shovel in Close Combat - Basic Technique.

#11 ·
I don't believe it is paranoid to be prepared. Even the most rural areas aren't immune to roving bands of thieves, home invaders, and sexual deviants. My yard is pretty well lit, but I will be adding more light. We have 2 dogs that raise an absolute fit if anyone enters the yard...better than an alarm system. We have guns and have discussed what we will do in the event of an intruder. Suffice to say we will not be roll over victims.

I also agree with the idea of keeping your preps under wraps. If people don't know you have a year of food and other supplies they will be less likely to target you. To me the best camoflague is to hide right out in the open...

#15 · (Edited)
Had my wife read the article that BB posted, and told her I thought she was getting complacent. When I came home from work, the .357 was sitting beside her, within arms reach! Thanks BB!!

#16 ·

This is the first book ever published to explain how to capture that most dangerous animal: man. Based on Ragnar's own mantrapping experiences while on special assignments in Asia, Africa, North and South America and Cuba, this gut-wrenching book covers such mantraps as the Malaysian Hawk, the Andes Mountain Trail Trap, the Sheepeater's Rock Fall and the Cuban Water Trap. To know how to trap your enemy is to know how to avoid being trapped yourself. For academic study only.

#17 ·
Sad thing is, one has to be real real careful with booby traps..
Poor guy in Miami kept getting his warehouse broken into..
Rigged his grates on the top of his business with 220 volts..
Wet the A.O.. Whoops..
Perp grabbed grates to break in, so sorry bout his luck.. Fried..
He was charged with murder, do not know how much time he got..
Clean up real fast if you use booby traps..

#20 ·
Had a friend when I was younger who specialized in explosive devices. (NOT certified in any way, shape, or form.) Kind of a good hearted evil genius if you will. He did some work for a local used car lot. The owner of the lot was tired of the cars having their stereos stolen, so my buddy took a bunch of mid grade car stereos and wired a small explosive device into each of them. Then he put them back into the cars without any power wires being hooked up. The theory was that once stolen the new owner would install and once he hooked up the positive wire, it would blow a nice gaping hole in their car dash. Unfortunately he wasn't thinking that he was not getting at the thief, only the end buyer who could be anyone. He stopped the practice, but apparently it did do some good, as the break-ins definitely slowed for a few months. Of course later on, the car lot owner finally broke down and got a good camera set-up to try and record the thieves.

#21 ·
Around here, the "home invaders" are likely to be the big gang with the black clothes, g-rides with light bars, and a local TV crew cheering them on. The crew that tried to break my door down one morning seemed to be under the impression they didn't need a warrant. After a lengthy armed standoff, a car eventually drove up with a shiny-fresh warrant... for a different house.

Steel bars help keep the likes of them out, and cameras with off-site recording are essential for afterward. The new trick is to just ram the door down with a piece of pipe, slam everyone to the floor at gunpoint, *then* mention who they are during the trash talk phase. Oh, and just to be helpful, they wear masks, and any identification is on the *back* of their gang outfits where you can't see it.

Oh, and once they go stomping through your house randomly destroying your stuff... better take a look at your homeowner's insurance policy again. You're probably not covered.

- TRX, "never again"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.